Thread: Rear wheel bearing and axle removal

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1994 sc alltrac

Rear wheel bearing and axle removal

So i believe my rear driver wheel bearing is going out. Vibrating and my whole wheel gets hot to the touch. Ordered all the parts from rock auto. pulled the driver side axle, it was difficult but it came out. While im at it i want to do the passenger side as well but i can not get that axl out. i have a chain bolted to the hub and cracking it like a whip which is how i have got others out in the past. this one will not budge. i can see the bearing and it is rusty. i soaked it in pb blaster beat it with a 3lb hammer, put a torch on it. Im destroying a lot of things to get at this bearing which isnt even the one that was bad but its too late, how do i get it out?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

Re: Rear wheel bearing and axle removal

Your local autoparts stores usually rent tools. You will need a slide hammer with an axle puller adapter. They come out fairly easy with the right tools.

Once they are out you will want to replace the oil seals. To remove the bearing you have to carefully grind a notch in the bearing retainer and use a cold chisel to Crack it open and then it will slip off easy. Once it is off then use a press to press off the old wheel bearing. The bearing cover will come off right behind that. Use new gaskets for the bearing cover, I made my own out of gasket material using the cover as a template.
    Heat the new bearing retainers in gear oil to AT LEAST 300 degrees F. PUT the cover and gasket on the axle, press the new bearing into place, and then quickly slip the new bearing retainer onto the shaft and press it home. (Remove the oil first). The heat transfer occurs very quickly so do not delay in installing the retainer. Be careful to install the retainer with the flanged end facing the correct direction.
    If you don't have a good strong press you can have your local shop do that part for you.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 LE MT

Re: Rear wheel bearing and axle removal

Hey Rufus, thanks for that excellent reply. I’m replacing mine as well. The 2 gaskets on each side were missing. I noticed from the shop manual that these 2 gaskets appear to go right On top of each other??? One has the corner notch facing up and the other down.?????

What thickness gasket material did you use?

Thanks