Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G53 [2WD manual] Transmission replacement

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Re: 1986 Toyota G53 Transmission replacement

Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation!

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

Re: G53 [2WD manual] Transmission replacement

I had my clutch replaced and now about 5-6 months later, I'm hearing a knocking from the transmission in all gears but 4th. I brought it to a local transmission shop and they diagnosed it as a bad transmission and it needed to either be rebuilt or replaced with a used one and quoted me at 2500 for the job. 500 for labor, I guess 2k for the rebuilding. They also found metal pieces in the pan. I hate to give up on this van after one year. I've already replaced a lot of parts included the water pump, fan clutch and clutch. If I can do this for under 1500, I would consider keeping it and pushing forward.

Anyways, if it is indeed the transmission, I have the following questions.

Vehicle: 1985 2WD Manual Transmission, Located in the SF Bay Area 195k miles
    1. Can I just replace the transmission or do I need to remove the clutch and do that again as well? I read earlier that OP did but then Tim said it may not be necessary to mess with it.
    2. Are there any other parts I should be replacing if I'm putting in a "new" used transmission?
    3. I don't feel comfortable pulling a transmission from a yard nor installing a new transmission. Best way or place to locate a pulled manual transmission? I know that pick and pull has some pullers listed that can pull parts for you, has anybody tried that? I also see lowmileageparts.com, has anyone tried them?
    3. What's a reasonable cost for installing the used transmission?

Thanks!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I'm almost wrapping up an auto to manual swap on my 4wd, and removing the trans was basically the easiest part. I would not hesitate to move/remove in the future, so don't feel too intimidated by it.

So far changing the brake booster and pedal set has been the most challenging piece of actual work. It was like one of those brain puzzles where all the bendy pieces of metal are locked around each other.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

BC - have no fear, there is nothing overly complicated about re&re'ing a manual trans.
    Take lots of pictures, mark everything and at the end of the day say to yourself, "I can't believe I almost paid $500 to have that done"
    It is all just grunt work, nothing complicated at all.
    If you're happy with how the clutch works and feels and its been recently replaced, there is little need to disturb.

Internal tranny parts are expensive, as is the labour to overhaul.
    Finding a good used unit WILL be your most cost effective repair.
    Generally speaking the trannies are pretty solid and if kept full of oil, rarely need attention.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Good advice by previous posters. The hard part will likely be finding a good used transmission. They are out there, but can sometimes be hard to find. Unfortunately there's not really any way to know condition without installing or disassembling. I always took a chance on salvage yard transmissions and was always quite lucky. Only once did I get a defective one, but it was only a bad input shaft bearing. I was still able to use it for a couple of months before pulling it back out to replace that bearing. I used that transmission for years after with no further issues.

FYI, your clutch and related parts are separate from the transmission. If the clutch is fairly new and is not giving you any issues, then leave it be. Just unbolt the transmission and bolt on the replacement. It's not a bad idea to replace the input and output shaft seals (because it's easy), but if they look okay, then I might skip that. Definitely drain and replace the gear oil.

Regarding what the shop told you, I believe them. It sounds like you broke a tooth of one of your gears. 4th gear is direct drive, so it makes sense it would be quiet in 4th. If there were metal chunks in the oil, then it's likely to quickly get worse.

PS: If I swapped a transmission for somebody else, I would want $500.......but I would not pay anybody to do mine. Like other posters have said, it's pretty straight forward, but you'll need some basic tools and you'll likely get dirty. Having a long extension with a swivel socket is very helpful for the top bell-housing bolts. You'll also want to have the van on jack stands, so a floor jack is mandatory. The floor jack will also come in hand for supporting and lowering/lifting transmissions during the swap. Tim

My Van(s):

Thank you for the thorough replies. I guess a concern I have if replacing the transmission myself is that I won't know how to tell if a part is bad and what part it actually is. I guess I'm willing to try, the responses make it sound like it's bolt off, bolt on.

Dumb question but how do I know I have the entire transmission and it's associated parts when pulling it off?

Now I read earlier in the post that 84-85 have the same transmissions but that 86 is when I'll need to replace the driveshaft to because of the length of the transmission. I'd like to avoid that so I'll keep my eyes on a used 84-85. If I get desperate, is the driveshaft a hard swap?

Has anyone paid to get their transmission rebuilt?

Is this the output shaft seal? NATIONAL 223840?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Might be worth checking with the companies that import JDM engines, never know what you might find if you poke around a little.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

As for doing a rebuild, btdt.

No gear or synchro damage, just all the "main" shaft bearings were replaced.
    Shop came highly recommended and no penny was spared, though far too many dollars were slain.
    I wouldn't go that route again, too many issues for the outlay.

It's nice and quiet and works just fine, but will occasionally pop out of 2nd on hard decel,
    Fix doesn't sound too hard, but the trans has to come out to correct it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by bushcat View Post
    Is this the output shaft seal? NATIONAL 223840?
    Yes, that's the one. In my previous post (amended) I meant to say input and output shaft seals. The input shaft seal would be NATIONAL 1981. If you only change 1 seal, I would make it the input shaft seal because that one requires transmission removal (so do it when it's out). The output shaft seal would only require the driveshaft be removed (could be done after transmission installation).

FYI, I typically don't worry as much about manual transmission seals. It's because gear oil is thick and it's only distributed by splashing (no pressure pump). Because of that these seals only see low stress, so unless there's obvious damage you could ignore them. Other than obvious damage or obvious leaks, the only reason to replace would be for piece of mind and because it's much easier to do when the transmission is out and on the bench. Tim

My Van(s):

So, there is a 86 van close to me at a pick n pull. Assuming it's manual, I would need to grab the transmission and the drive shaft as well if putting on my 85? Is the driveshaft hard to get off? Are there things to look for when pulling the transmission off?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

The driveshaft wasn't too tough to remove. You'll need some 14mm (I think) sockets and wrenches, maybe a longer bar if they're really on tight. Once the bolts are out it should just pop out. Initially, the rear shaft wasn't budging, so I just put the jack under it and gave it a little lift to break it free.

I'd probably check the trans drain plug to see if there are metal shavings on the magnet. If it's reasonably priced, and you don't see a bunch of shavings, I'd probably assume it's ok.

I also picked up a Harbor Freight transmission jack for something like $75. It was helpful, but I think I could do it again without it. What worked best for actually dropping the trans and putting it back into place was sliding 2x4s underneath the van and having a friend on each side of the van holding the 2x4s, lifting or dropping as necessary.

My Van(s):

OK, so I'm getting ready to commit to switching out transmissions. I bought an 84 LE and I'm going to swap it from the LE to my 85. I've read the post and I know there are alignment marks on the transmission but I have some basic questions.

I see what I need to take off as far as bolts and parts.

What I want to know is if I need to be in a specific gear when pulling the transmission when removing or installing?

Also, are aftermarket input and output shaft seals OK or is it recommended to use Toyota OEM seals?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I have found its best to disassemble in neutral.

A/M parts can be perfectly fine, part of the decision is whats available, but I also try to consider whats required if it fails.
    It is false economy to save a few dollars if it means wasting many hours redoing the same job.
    There is no one right answer, it all depends on availability, cost and personal comfort zone.

I will use factory parts whenever I can, simply because it mostly eliminates any fit/function problems that can occur with A/M stuff and the last thing I want to have to question, is wether the part I just installed is causing an issue or not.

Output shaft seal only requires removing the driveshaft to access, input seal requires the tranny to come out to replace.
    Pulling the shaft again would piss me off, but having to pull the trans a 2nd time would require the use of words which are not allowed on public forums, just sayin'

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, FYI, it's been my experience that aftermarket seals are every bit as good as Toyota (maybe even better in some cases). I would stick to big name brands though (like National and a few others). I've noticed that some Toyota seals to not be the same as original. In the case of the front pulley seal, the original ones had a steel case. Replacements from Toyota are now plastic. The last one I got was aftermarket. It had a steel case and appeared to be of high quality. I'm sure the plastic bodied Toyota seal would do the same job, but if/when there's a choice, I prefer steel. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    I have found its best to disassemble in neutral.

A/M parts can be perfectly fine, part of the decision is whats available, but I also try to consider whats required if it fails.
    It is false economy to save a few dollars if it means wasting many hours redoing the same job.
    There is no one right answer, it all depends on availability, cost and personal comfort zone.

I will use factory parts whenever I can, simply because it mostly eliminates any fit/function problems that can occur with A/M stuff and the last thing I want to have to question, is wether the part I just installed is causing an issue or not.

Output shaft seal only requires removing the driveshaft to access, input seal requires the tranny to come out to replace.
    Pulling the shaft again would piss me off, but having to pull the trans a 2nd time would require the use of words which are not allowed on public forums, just sayin'
    Hi Timsrv, I'm in need of replacing my output shaft seal. When I see the part for sale, there's a repair tool included that looks like a short tube with a flange. I understand the removal of the driveshaft, but have never actually replaced a seal in any vehicle.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Output seals are easy. After the drive shaft is removed the seal can be pulled. The transmission output shaft is there (slightly in the way) but the seal can still be removed. I use a special seal pulling tool, but a slot tip screwdriver can be used to pry it out. Just be careful not to damage anything other than the seal. After the seal is removed it's not a bad idea to slide the slip yolk back into the transmission and yank it side to side to check the output shaft bushing. This is a metal ring that holds the yolk in the center of the output shaft housing. If/when they get worn they can allow too much side to side play that results in premature seal failure. If there is a lot of play, you could choose to ignore it, but the new seal will not likely hold up. I try to avoid internal work on transmissions, but replacing an output shaft bushing is a job I've successfully done a few times. When it comes to driving in a new seal, apply a thin film of FIPG or RTV around the periphery then drive it into the output shaft housing. It can be tapped with a hammer (alternating sides), but finding a socket the right size can be very helpful. I have a home made tool around here somewhere that works well. It's just a chunk of 2x4 with a hole I made with a hole saw for the output shaft. I'm not sure about the options for manual transmissions, but not all automatic transmission output shaft seals are the same. I like the 3 piece seals with the felt ring. For that you can get a genuine Toyota seal or the Beck-Arnley #052-3382. Have fun. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Awesome instructions Tim, thanks so much. I've read some of your advice on here and always get a lesson from it. That fix you suggested for terminating the power steering pump and removing the air control switch which was leaking worked. Probably a little stressed now on the pump as that air control valve boosted the engine rpms with turning. Manual clutch.

Bought a National seal made here in Mexico from O'Reilly's last night. They had one in stock. On Ebay there's a repair tool for around 40 dlls. that seems it will be used to drive in the seal, if not helping with removal also. I like the chunk of 2x4. I assume the seal sits flush with the outer rim of the housing. Will follow your instructions to a T! I'm nearly broke and need to drive 140 miles up California from my place here Monday and there's a mechanic I could use there. That will loan me the labor cost of 60 bucks. Could probably get her done here for 20, but I'm juggling around 270 dlls to pay a couple of bills and get up there. My van needs valves and or a ring job. It's gobbling up about a quart of oil every 400 miles. Need to try 20/50 oil and maybe the tranny fluid therapy. Definitely need to check each cylinder to see if the rings or valves causing this. I occasionally see a large cloud of white smoke after idling for a couple of hours waiting to cross northbound into the USA when I finally crank up the speed after crossing then it mostly goes away. I see a bit of the smoke as she idles. 110-130-130-125 compression. The service manual states lowest compression at 128 psi. That 110 is too much of a difference. It misses. Passed last year's smog check after having a 580 dll CA catalytic converter installed. Now I got a possible manifold gasket leak and a bad muffler. Speedometer got bored out with a bad cable and broken connector. Got a replacement from a junk yard that is missing one of the plastic tabs. Got a spare speedometer housing that's not the exact version, but works. I am saving that one until I figure out a remedy. I think I have close to 280k miles. Steering column is with some clicking sounds and small movements, less so with the wheel in the up position. I've already had the wheel off and tightened some nuts that helped some. Need shims. I have the yellow service manual for this 1988 van. Got some other problems that aren't as dire as what I've already mentioned. I'll eventually post these problems after I've studied what's already been said in this forum, no need to reply. Have a great day!

Here's the repair tool that's available:Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  16.8 KB
    Last edited by dzignpro; 04-17-2022 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Ordered this part, says it's incompatible with the output shaft. Which side faces outward that I'll use to tap into the tranny? It seems wider than the other seals, does it stick out a bit?
    I've got a manual transmission.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you're talking about the Beck-Arnley #052-3382 I mentioned above, that's the one used for automatic transmissions (not compatible with a manual transmission). If you purchased that based on my post, then I'm sorry for the confusion.

With any oil seal of this type, the open side of the seal always goes toward the inside. It's also a good idea to put a little grease on the inside diameter where it will contact the shaft. I also like to put a super thin layer of FIPG sealant around the outer periphery before driving it home. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

ok, Thanks Tim, I bought it because it was stated compatible by another vendor. I'll order the correct part. Tranny had lost 1 qrt of oil due to mechanic incorrectly diagnosing the leak. It's getting increasingly difficult to do these types of repairs on my vehicle due to health problems, namely, double vision caused by a brain tumor that is progressing. Wish our body parts could be as easily removed as our vehicle's.