Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G53 [2WD manual] Transmission replacement

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Re: G53 [2WD manual] Transmission replacement

ok, I'm in my retirement condo in TJ now. Van is parked facing the street in my parking spot. I'm nearing getting ready to do this myself. Just need some grease which I'm heading out now to buy using my other car, a 2005 Scion XB that's never let me down. Got a seal puller, two National brand seals, the correct parts, in case I mess one up, the gasket sealer, it's 90 minutes to dry so will let the van sit before I drop it to the ground, it's on jack stands with the rear raised with blocks securing the front wheels. Tranny full of gear oil now. Parking brake on. In this raised position, after it has been driven with very low levels of oil, the oil is up to the fill hole level after adding over a liter's worth. Will this leak out when I pull the seal? I'll have extra oil if it does. I'll be marking everything with a white grease pencil, then removing the 4 bolts holding the shaft to the differential. I'll check the play before installing the new seal. As she sits, there is a bit of play already. Thanks in advance for all your replies and help with this.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Transmission oil should only be added while the van is level. Once the gear oil is high enough to start dripping out the fill hole, that's the correct oil level. Assuming that part was done correctly, and then the van was lifted from the rear, very little (if any) oil should leak when you pull that seal. Just keep in mind the parking brake won't do any good if the rear wheels are off the ground, so use blocks/chocks on your front wheels to keep it from rolling........especially if it's on a slope. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

I replaced the seal with a National brand. There was a little bit of a rough line encircling the main shaft near where the seal was carefully rubbed a piece of plastic to remove it without damaging or gouging the shaft. I figured this could wear the seal out faster if not done. I greased the rubber and applied the gasket maker red silicone to the perimeter of the seal which was also of the same color. I pounded it in as gently as I could with a hammer without damaging the seal. Now, before removing the seal, and when checking movement of the shaft after removal with the shaft replaced less the seal, I detected movement. I think it is a fraction of an 1/8th inch, say maybe a 1/16th or so. I am curious what I should do at this point. I've not seen any oil leaking yet. Is this a difficult job to replace the bushing once the tranny is removed?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

In my world I don't worry too much about things like this until they become a problem. Seals can fail so only replacing the seal was an appropriate 1st step (hopefully the end of the issue). However, if tail shaft seal failure becomes a reoccurring thing, then a worn bushing and/or damaged drive-shaft yolk may be to blame. If it develops another leak here in less than 20k miles, I would assume the tail shaft bushing needs to be replaced. So far I have only done this job on automatic transmissions, so I don't know off the top of my head what may differ on a manual, but I would assume the tail shaft housing would likely need to be removed in order to drive-out and replace........at least that's how it's done on automatics. The tail shaft housing on an automatic can be removed and reinstalled from under the van without removing the transmission. Hopefully you won't need to go there, but if you do, consult the service manual. Tim

PS: Seals typically leave a shiny spot on the shaft surface, but there shouldn't be a noticeable groove. I've always used ~ 220 grit emery cloth or sand paper to rough-up the shiny spots and "minor" grooves before re-inserting the shaft. If/when there's an excessive groove, sometimes the seal can be positioned a bit shallower or deeper in the bore so the contact spot changes, but if/when I'm not comfortable with a heavy groove I'll start looking for another yolk or perhaps a whole new shaft. Tim