Thread: Valve shim adjustment tool.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Valve shim adjustment tool.

First time doing an adjustment on a vehicle with shims. Intimidating to start, but not too bad in practice. The tools are the key to making it doable, particularly the bucket hold down tool. An update on this older info from another post.....
    "It's Toyota Part number SST 09248-55040 and it's available through Kent-Moore tools at 800-345-2233. Price is about $75."
    It's now over $120, enough to encourage looking into alternatives.
    I used two bicycle bottom bracket wrenches, modestly modified and they worked great. Took a bit of time to grind the hold down to work correctly.
    I had theses tools already and I bought beer for a guy with a shop in town in exchange for a shim swap. Total expenditure for the job... $10 on beer.
    Edit: All intake valve clearance measurements were in spec, all but one exhaust measurements were too tight (.008" - .009"). Van mileage 200k.
    Last edited by Jonny; 06-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Valve shim adjustment tool.

Any pics of the tools before & after the mod?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

There's a Snap On/Blue Point shim adjuster tool kit specific for Toyotas. I bought it years ago for like 50 bucks... I think it's still around the same price. I haven't messed with it though

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I didn't think of searching more broadly for Toyota valve tools. This came up amongst several other options and is a much more palatable price. It looks the same, at least. For $25 it would be worth the chance. Next time.
    http://www.coastaltoolsupply.com/product/SLY-88250.html
    Last edited by Jonny; 03-12-2016 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typo

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 5spd

What made you decide to adjust the valves? I have never done it, and wonder why it's necessary. I know FSM mandates it, but I don't know why. Decreased performance ? Bent valves? I am not so sure.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Wear to the camshaft lobes and other changes over the years is why it's recommended. Most mechanics will ignore this though as adjustment is a pain (as compared to other types) and these tend to stay pretty close. Still, not a bad idea to at least check them every so often. If you find something way outside the spec it should be dealt with. Personally I don't bother checking unless I'm in there for something else (like replacing a leaky VC gasket).

FYI, Valves that are out of adjustment do affect performance. Aside from that, when too tight they tend to overheat and warp. When too loose tend to make noise. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I should have added this info when I originally posted.
    Exhaust spec is .010" - .014". Assuming the factory had it in the middle to begin with, it is reasonable to extrapolate that my exhaust valve clearances were beginning to go out of spec by 150K miles. It might be worth finding an excuse to go in there and at least check them if you are much over this and they've never been done before. If nothing else, by then the valve cover gasket will be getting a bit wooden and replacing it will help avoid developing an oil leak which seem fairly common here.