Thread: Power Steering pump replaced; now major tailpipe smoking

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 LE

Power Steering pump replaced; now major tailpipe smoking

have replaced old PS pump with new one. There is an attached part that screws into the PS pump that appears to connect vacuum hoses.
    When I was replacing the pump had to remove this attachment from old and transfer to new pump.
    Inside this part there is a small part that slipped out unknown to me at the time.
    I reattached the vacuum hose screw in and restarted my van. I was greeted with major smoke from tail pipe and a moaning sound. Turned the engine off immediately being quite surprised by the whole episode.
    Van has never smoked at all since I have had it.
    I discovered the missing part on the ground re-installed it into the vacuum screw-in attachment and remounted the screw-in into the PS pump. Started the engine again. No sound this time but still getting major smoke from tail pipe?
    Is it possible that I need to reverse the small internal part on the screw-in attachment that connects to the PS pump.

The engine is running fine and fires right up exactly as it always does. I am just stumped at this point as I have no idea what this little shiny screw in part does.

I tried to find the part on line and searched for possible items in the forum but as yet have had no luck...If someone could enlighten me at this point. See photos below ...thanks much for any help to bring sanity back to my world.

Ha
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ishkatoo; 03-19-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

Re: 88 LE Power Steering: Help Identify Part causing major tailpipe smoking

Read through this thread it will tell you what you are looking for.
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...+control+valve

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 LE

Thanks Rufus mucho for the clarification on the function of the part. I am assuming that since the internal portion of the PS air control valve had fallen out, then it may have sucked some power steering fluid into the vacuum hose? If that is the case should I just try letting it run for a bit to see if the problem clears up? As I said it is running just fine but smoke is really coming out of the tailpipe. Not sure if that has damaged anything or not. Anyone have any suggestions on this.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've changed more than my fair share of power steering pumps and I've never had anything like that happen (I guess you're the lucky guy). I hate it when things fall out like that. You always have to wonder if there was more that came out (like a check ball or spring), then you have to wonder if there's a specific way it goes back in. Next time I pull one of these out I'll be watching out for this (thanks for the heads-up). I'm not real familiar with any loose parts up inside that air control valve, but based on what you said I'm thinking it must be part of the valving mechanism. Evidently, whatever it is, part of it's job must be to separate the ATF (power steering fluid) from the vacuum side of things.

Based on everything you said I would have to assume that not only was the vacuum hose sucking the ATF up into the intake, but the power steering pump was pumping it up there too. The ATF would have had to enter your intake manifold then pool and travel to the cylinders. When ATF enters your cylinders the van is going to smoke.......a lot. Assuming you got everything back the way it's supposed to be, I'm guessing it will take a little more time to suck it all through. Just to be sure though I'd pull the vacuum lines, plug them, then run the engine for a few minutes to make sure no more PS fluid is dripping out of the air control valve. Make sure the PS system is full and turn the steering wheel back & forth. Rev the engine a few times too. If it stays dry, put the hoses back on and take the van out for an aggressive drive . If it still smokes after 10 minutes or so of driving, and/or you continue having an unexplained loss of power steering fluid, then you might still be passing fluid from the pump to the air control valve. Hopefully it will clear up. Tim

PS: I can think of a lot worse things to run through your engine, I'm guessing this volume of ATF won't hurt anything. Heck, if you had any stuck piston rings, for all I know this may even help free things up a bit . ATF & kerosene is what we putt into old froze up engines that have sat outside for 20 years or longer. If the engine was running when it was parked, but got froze-up sometime during the slumber, we would pull the spark plugs and squirt some ATF in there. After a few days we'd try to spin the engine again. I've seen this work more than once. We'd mostly do this trying to revive old tractors and farm equipment. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 LE- Manual 5 spd

Do these air control valves ever go bad? Would the symptoms be that smoke is coming out of the exhaust or is it less noticeable?

What is noticeable is how freakin' expensive the part is ($250)!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I haven't seen one fail yet, but considering what it does, for $250, I'd either be pulling one from a parts van, going the the salvage yard, or bypassing it altogether. You'd probably not even miss it if it were gone. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I haven't seen one fail yet, but considering what it does, for $250, I'd either be pulling one from a parts van, going the the salvage yard, or bypassing it altogether. You'd probably not even miss it if it were gone. Tim
    I replaced this part 10 years ago and because it was cost prohibitive to replace the part my mechanic found that the same part from a mid 1990's Camry that fits at a fraction of the price. Sorry I don't have the part number. The price was less than 100 dollars I recall

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 LE- Manual 5 spd

@JPERL, yeah, my mechanic also swapped out mine with a, "random one" they had laying around the shop. He said when he pulled the vac lines he saw fluid in them and that indicated to him that the valve was bad. But I never saw smoke or anything out of the tail pipe, hence my question a few posts above.

Looking at the FSM it appears the part the OP had fall out on him was a seat for the valve:
    Name:  Seat.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  19.7 KB

I just bought a remanufactured P/S pump from Maval. I sent my leaking one out to Lares through Rock Auto to be rebuilt. Nothing fell out of the leaking one when I was removing it, so I'm assuming I shipped it out to Lares with the seat still in the unit. But now I'm not sure if my replacement from Maval has a seat!

Does anyone have a disconnected P/S pump laying around and the time to take a picture of that port to see what it looks like with a seat in it? I can then compare the pic to my Maval pump and see if it's there or if I and need to wait for my pump sent to Lares to return.

Thanks gang.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 DLX

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller. I am in the process of replacing my power steering pump. I didn't take note of what air intake hose went in what side of the air control valve... Does it matter if they get switched? If it does matter how do I distinguish what the correct placement is? Thanks,
    Shag

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

It doesn't matter which way the hoses are connected.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 DLX

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    It doesn't matter which way the hoses are connected.
    Thank you sir!