Thread: Steering wheel shudder at no speed

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Steering wheel shudder at no speed

Good evening all,

Recent problem on my '86 2wd cargo: when turning to left with the van at a standstill, there's a significant amount of shudder from the wheels and in the steering. There is some when turning to the right, but not nearly as much. Once I get underway at even slow speeds the shudder stops. Due to weather it will be a few days before I can jack her up, look underneath, and shake/inspect the front wheels. I know what bad wheel bearings sound like and have replaced them before (but not on this van); haven't heard anything there. A few weeks ago there was just the tiniest bit of ball joint noise. She doesn't pull to either side at any speed. The P/S pump is not whining at all. There's been no decrease in the level of the P/S reservoir. Ordered extra wheel bearings and seals at the local dealership, just in case. I've read through several of the threads concerning steering, suspension, and racks, but can't see anything like this problem.

This one is kinda mystifying...Any clues are very much appreciated.

Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

Re: Steering wheel shudder at no speed

When I was dealing with the power steering problems last week it acted that way. I would take off the power steering reservoir and make sure that the screen it totally clean and flush it with brake cleaner followed by a flush of Dexron 3 to flush the remaining solvent before reinstallation.
    It is very easy to remove the reservoir. Two 12mm bolts, two hose clamps, and it is out.
    Mine was completely clogged, the pump wasn't able to get fluid, and yet it wasn't whining. It was hard and kind of jerky when sitting still and steering but eased up when driving. This may not be your problem but it is super easy and cheap to check.

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Thanks for the tip, Rufus. The shop at my property in Washington is complete; will be up there in a couple of days. Actually, all of my vans could use a fresh charge of brake/clutch and power steering fluid. Will check out my reservoir some time in the next week or two. PS I've been to Red Bluff, it's a fine place.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Rufus. The shop at my property in Washington is complete; will be up there in a couple of days. Actually, all of my vans could use a fresh charge of brake/clutch and power steering fluid. Will check out my reservoir some time in the next week or two. PS I've been to Red Bluff, it's a fine place.
    Make sure you actually pull the reservoir out. I couldn't tell mine was clogged until it was out and empty. Then it was obvious.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a thread that should help: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...g-system-noise