Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheared crankshaft woodruff key

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: Sheared crankshaft woodruff key: my first epic

lets see a pic of the bunged up crank...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

I took it into the shop already but basically there's a chunk missing alongside the keyway and scarring (minor grooves going around the shaft). Replacing the crank would be fine as I already have one. The issue is: Is there any problem with using a crank with an extra 100K miles on it?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by James Zueger View Post
    Is there any problem with using a crank with an extra 100K miles on it?
    Usually not. Assuming there's no obvious physical damage (like a buggered key way), I've reused these with tons of miles on them. The crank I put in my last complete rebuild (featured in my blogs) had ~ 250k miles on it. I checked all the journals with micrometers and had it magnafluxed for cracks.........all was fine (no reason to believe it wouldn't go another 250k). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Thanks Tim. I'll go ahead and pull that other crank and take it in to the shop. They're on vacation and won't even be looking at it till next week.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

James, that sounds exactly like what happened to my crank. Let us know how the rebuild goes! Also, make sure to use a OEM head gasket on the rebuild if you were not planning to already.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

I got my head and block back from the shop and have most of the motor put back together. The guy at the shop gave me a bulletin concerning the crankshaft bolt. There is no date on the bulletin but it says Toyota came out with a new crankshaft pulley bolt. It has a head marking of 10 instead of the old 8, allowing for a higher torque of 167 ft. lbs. up from the previous 116 ft. lbs. The shop guy said he'd just up the torque on the old bolt to around 130. I'm concerned about stripping the threads. Am going to see if I can just get a grade 10 bolt of correct size and heavy washer from a fastener store. Any thoughts out there on this?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I wasn't aware of a bulletin and/or a problem here. I know these keyways/cranks can get messed up, but I always assumed it was due to people running them without the correct torque. I too would be concerned with excessive torque here as the crank bolt is fine thread. Even if the bolt can take it I'd worry about the threads inside the crank stripping out. If I had a crank with stripped threads, I would not hesitate to repair with a Helicoil (assuming the key way area was undamaged). I would not however exceed the factory specified torque setting. Just my 2¢. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Any chance you could post the bulletin?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

This is my 3rd time trying to post this.
    It is put out by AERA Engine Builders Assoc. TB #2496
    Two designs have different torque values. Torque spec. has been increased from 116 to 167 ft. lbs. Strength of bolt was changed. New bolt has changed mark on bolt head from 8 to 10. Change effective with engine ser. no. 4Y-0236296.
    prev. part no. 90105-14013 new part no. 90105-14069 part name bolt, washer based head hexagon
    I cropped the bulletin in typing it out. Jim Z

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

I noticed that on my replacement crankshaft and pulley the harmonic balancer does not have an internal stop shoulder as it did on the original one. That means the pulley and balancer will be tightening hard against the gear. Is this any problem? If not why do you suppose they made some with the stop shoulders? I don't know what year the replacement is. Is there a chart somewhere of motor serial numbers to year makes - been searching online and can't find? Jim Z

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's possible I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is (or has ever been) a stop shoulder inside the balancer. I believe it is supposed to pull up tight against the timing gear (keeps everything nice and tight).

Regarding that Tech Bulletin, I couldn't find it anywhere on-line. I know they're calling out a Toyota part, but I'm not aware of that company or their authority over Toyotas (unless they're just repeating what Toyota put out). It might just be that I'm old school and out of the loop . If that's the case, somebody please rattle my cage and tell me if this is the way we get service bulletins. Is there a library somewhere these things are all listed at? It would be nice if we could type in a VIN and get a list of all bulletins affecting any particular unit. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Tim There was a stop shoulder on the crank that got chewed up ( an 86 van). I'll contact the machinist that gave me the bulletin to see where the info originated. I just assumed it came from Toyota and this company puts out info. Regarding the higher strength bolt, I got a 10.9 grade bolt from the bolt store and I can torque it to 151 which is way better than 116. Will get back to you on this AERA.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Tim I found AERA they're at www.aera.org Maybe this could be of a help to us Toyota van owners (not much to me as I'm not a mechanic - just a guy that likes Toyota vans and is trying to save a lot of bucks if I can). Jim Z

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I was there earlier (before I made that last post) and I searched their site using the TB 2496 number. Nothing would come up except recalls on recent vehicles and it only went back to 2015. I also searched the internet for "recalls and service bulletins by VIN" and found a few sites that did that, but none would pull up or display any Service Bulletins on the van (and I'm aware of at least 3 or 4). 2 or 3 of the sites mentioned the steering bevel gear recall, but that's it. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Tim I just talked to the machinist. He said they are a member of this organization and are provided with software programs that he printed this from. Asked if there was a corresponding Toyota service bulletin, he said he couldn't answer. I would think there would have to be unless they are making their own changes. Jim Z

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Tim I should add that the bulletin also stated: Although either design may be used, it is considered a product improvement if the newer grade 10 bolt design is used. Jim Z

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Space Bunny 1987 Toyota Van wagon

Re: Sheared crankshaft woodruff key

Any idea of what size socket to use on the crankshaft bolt?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Space Bunny 1987 Toyota Van wagon

Re: Sheared crankshaft woodruff key

3/4`` seemed to do the job