Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Muffler

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Replacing the Muffler - Super frustrating!

That’s a cheap plane ticket to get the part half way across the world!!

JDM

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Cheapest place to buy new muffler?

Anyone know the best website to buy a new muffler that has the full pipe and flange going to the catalytic converter?

I have read about people buying them on eBay, but those seem to be just the muffler with a short pipe that need to be welded to a longer pipe and flange to connect to the cat

Looking for a '86 2WD

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Cheapest place to buy new muffler?

The factory pipe was a one piece unit but I believe they are long gone.
    Bosal used to list a one piece pipe, but unknown if they still exist.
    Most of whats available now is piece together stuff and much of it is of inferior quality.
    One more thing to consider is that a one piece section can be pricey to ship and often gets bent in transit, btdt.

Best option would be to find a quality muffler shop that has the capability of bending up pipes as needed, have them make it, install it and weld it up.
    Pay your money and forget about it for another 5-8 years.

The last time I "saved" some money by getting the least expensive system I could find, I had to replace the whole thing within 2 yrs, no savings there.

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Bosal used to list a one piece pipe, but unknown if they still exist.
    Looks like you can still buy one piece Bosal muffler. List here fro $82 + $10 shipping: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...-05019039.html

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    Looks like you can still buy one piece Bosal muffler. List here fro $82 + $10 shipping: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...-05019039.html
    The link you supplied is an exhaust for a Corolla.

I just went through this process and here is my two cents: I bought a Walker replacement muffler, I think it's one of the only brands left that's a direct replacement. It was just the muffler so I did have to cut the existing muffler off and weld the new one on. All the hangers lined up perfect and it was a really easy job, I couldn't see a muffler shop charging more than $75 to make 1 cut and 1 weld for this. The muffler is OEM quiet and I love that I can't hear it. However, this muffler is only 5 months old and its already falling apart. It started leaking at the seams and almost every weld. I live in NC so there's no snow/ice/salt either. I'm tired of welding it back up and I'm about to replace the whole exhaust system with something nice/stainless that I fabricate.

Conclusion: I would take the van to a reputable exhaust shop and have them bend/weld up an exhaust. I'd try and find an OEM type stainless muffler around the same inlet/outlet diameter and location and supply it to the shop, unless they have some in stock.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD Auto

I recently had a local shop weld on a new muffler, took about 30 minutes and cost ~ $90.00.
    I know some people like to do everything themselves and you pay a little more for a shop to do the work, but in this case it seemed pretty worth it for me not to crawl under there or research aftermarket mufflers.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Muffler pipe sizes

Been trying to get my van to quiet down and not sound like a truck. I have worked with my muffler shop with little success. The just put mufflers in and that is about it. He finally got me a real replacement muffler from Walker however the pipe size is 1.5inch dia and the van came with 2 inch. Does anyone know if the van came with 1.5 inch pipe from the manifold to the muffler from the factory? Maybe it is the pip size that is causing all this noise in conjunction with the muffler. He is going to put a reducer on the pipe today and give it a go.
    It would be nice to know what the original size was. I checked with Rock Auto and they don't list it.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: Muffler pipe sizes

The results from the experiment proved positive. The low frequency noise that was generated by the van is now 95% gone by using the correct muffler. The one we used was the Walker 18411. Its 1.5 inch pipe and its ability to quiet things down we believe was the issue.
    So if any of you are having issues with this, this is one direction you can take.

MT

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

I hope you have better luck with the walker than me. I don’t even live in a rust-prone area and it started rusting and falling apart at the seams in under 5 months. I just replaced the rear half of the system with all stainless components.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Well that may be a good point. The muffler guy, not exactly college material by the way, believed that the reduction in noise was due to the pipe diameter. When I got the van it came with 2 inch pipe after the split from the exhaust manifold. Then it went to the Cat, then with more 2 inch pipe with went to the muffler, then more 2 inch pipe out the back. But for some reason he just would not extend the pipe past the back bumper so its output was just under the hatch door.
    Then he puts the Walker in that was made for the van. It used 1.5 inch pipe. So he reduced the size at the input of the muffler so it would fit the 1.5 inch. Still did not extend past the bumper. I may just get one of those chrome extenders you can buy to push it out beyond the bumper.

But the noise improved at least 80%.

I still have an irritating hum as I pass through 2K RPM up to about 2.3K RPM. In over drive this equates to about 50 MPH, so if I run it up to 60 she gets better. With no over drive in third it seems to be the same think at 2K. It almost sounds like a motor mount at idle or a back differential yoke on the drive shaft. Maybe the transmission mount which is that funny single mount that looks like a donut on top of the transmission. It had a crack in it but the engine guys told me to leave it alone. Besides I cannot find it anywhere.

So there you go. I am thinking of maybe removing all the 2 inch pipe and going 1.5. May be risky. I am trying to find out what the stock van came with.

Can anyone chime in on this??

MT

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

My fr pipe has been repaired many times but the one spot that is original measures 1 7/8 outside diameter, that should make the ID 1 3/4in

My muffler was one of the last ones available (real OE) and it too measures the same, now the pipes do neck down ever so slightly right at the in/out of the muffler but still measures 1.75in OD (so ID ~ 1 5/8in)
    Only to say that I can't find anything that measures 1.5in ID pipe (OD would be ~ 1 5/8)
    BB

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks BB

What I stated is what the muffler man told me. I will crawl under and look.

Could it be that the muffler has cause all the high hum level?
    I will get under and look.

Thanks

MT

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Interestingly enough, I can't find any exhaust listings for TV's anymore?? so can't even look to see what Walker muff was originally spec'd.
    :(

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

The Walker muffler matched right up the the factory piping for me, I only had to make one cut and one weld. It was 1 7\8"s on the inlet side piping and a 1 1\2" tailpipe.

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
    The link you supplied is an exhaust for a Corolla.
    Looks like they don't have a compllete bolt on muffler for 1986 Toyota vans

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    That site says they're out of stock. I wonder if they still carry it at all?

Doesn't look like any sites are selling new complete bolt on mufflers

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

The reason its out of stock is because Bosal doesn't make it anymore
    Doesn't look like there's any Walker stuff left either.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    Looks like they don't have a compllete bolt on muffler for 1986 Toyota vans

That site says they're out of stock. I wonder if they still carry it at all?

Doesn't look like any sites are selling new complete bolt on mufflers

Well... this one says they have it in stock:

https://www.carid.com/1987-toyota-va...404869188.html

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    Well... this one says they have it in stock:

https://www.carid.com/1987-toyota-va...404869188.html
    You can't actually order a complete muffler and pipe through that. When you click the "PRODUCT OPTIONS" it only offers a catalytic converter and some fittings

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Well have you shopped around at muffler shops and gotten quotes to just have them bend you up and weld one together?

Given the nature of finding parts for these vans, that will probably be the route you'll have to go.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!