Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Muffler

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Re: Replacing the Muffler - Super frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Rat, the muffler assy for yours & Lateral's van is 17405-73120. Better hurry........only one left..
    Poked around couple days ago, guess I wasn't quick enough, Toyota saying part# 17405-73120 is NLA....

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd

I am seriously thinking of doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPaTbljVvw when my muffler rusts through.

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd le automatic

Just did my entire exhaust with some reused pipe from a different van, catalytic converter from rock auto and a welder. Had to jack ip the rear and take off the spare. It was one welded piece from end to end. Of course the spare mounts broke and created another project...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Cargo Van (Window/2WD)

Muffler, 1989 Cargo (RWD)

Hello. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement muffler for my 1989 Cargo (RWD). There's a Walker (18411 I think), but I'm not sure that it fits my van. Thanks.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 van LE rat rod project

Re: Muffler, 1989 Cargo (RWD)

I just replaced mine with one from rock auto and it was a direct fit.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Cargo Van (Window/2WD)

Re: Muffler, 1989 Cargo (RWD)

Thanks. I found A-1 brand pipe and muffler from a place called Baltimore Auto Supply (BAS). Hope they work.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Eli

To Timsrv - A question about the double muffler on one exhaust. Does it look anything like this one?

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ.../bosal/284977/

Also, have you noticed any difference in sound or performance?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I used an OEM Toyota muffler on mine, and yes, it came as an assembly like the one in your link (appears to have 2 mufflers). Van is quiet, but not any more so than other rigs I have with only the one muffler. Toyota may have put it there for some other reason, but if so, I have no idea why. If the front one were ever to develop a hole and I couldn't get a new OE one to replace it with, I wouldn't hesitate to cut it off and replace that section with a straight pipe. I believe the sound is muffled through the rear one only. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Eli

Thanks for the feedback, I just placed an order and will let you know how it goes.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Eli

So no such luck on the muffler, the website called a day later to say they did not have the item in stock even though they had several listed on their site. Same thing happened with an OEM Toyota dealer website. Looks like I'm stuck with the one I got. I patched it using some 26 gauge duct and sheet metal screws so it is quieter for now.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Just take it to an exhaust shop. I like the independent guys (not the big chains). Some of these guys are awesome. The guy I use can throw an entire system together and weld everything together in about 45 minutes. Price is very reasonable to boot. It sounds like you just need a "cat back" exhaust made up. Most shops can do that in about 1/2 hr and if they're honest it should be very affordable. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Masterace Surf

Hey guys, Thanks for the helpful ideas here - My Masterace came with a poorly constructed straight exhaust with no muffler. I want to add a muffler and saw part Sir Goofy mentioned ( https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ.../bosal/284977/ ) Do you think this will fit on my Masterace or am i better off following your advise and getting a shop to fab something up? If i go down the shop root how do i know what muffler to request etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Ste

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Quote Originally Posted by micah202 View Post

I crawled under with my trusty 20,000rpm disc cutter, something I've used in my trade over ~30 years,,,never had an accident.....till today
    In the motorsport business we call that tool the "death wheel", I personally try to stay away from these things and in the rare cases where I cannot find an alternative I get in an armor and the part better be on a bench clamped solid in a vise and it better be an air tool! Electric? No Way!!!!
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Yah, used them 'wheels of death' in boat repairs for many years, usually not the luxury of being at a benchvise! Got pretty handy with them,, very fine cuts, shaping etc. Got a bit complacent over the years,, still shake my head when I think how close I came, if it wasn't for the bottom edge of my t-shirt sleeve, I'd be 15 pounds(one arm) lighter.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Quote Originally Posted by brit_ste View Post
    Hey guys, Thanks for the helpful ideas here - My Masterace came with a poorly constructed straight exhaust with no muffler. I want to add a muffler and saw part Sir Goofy mentioned ( https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ.../bosal/284977/ ) Do you think this will fit on my Masterace or am i better off following your advise and getting a shop to fab something up? If i go down the shop root how do i know what muffler to request etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks
    Ste
    In Vancouver, you might try VAP Auto parts for an actual muffler, then take it to a shop for installation, hangers, etc. You'd save a lot on the muffler itself that way, VAP are amazing.
    Otherwise, you'd be relying on whatever amcustom shop has that fits, should work out okay,,, just get a couple of quotes first.

I've got some parts in Vancouver, if you need.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

The first muffler in line is called a "resonator", in the Mini community one of the first Mod we did was called the "one ball" (guess what the two mufflers side by side look like from the back ) where a resonactomy was performed for the gain in weight and a couple HPs at no cost in sound! Guess these resonator are there for regulation reasons in some countries or states.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Masterace Surf

Quote Originally Posted by micah202 View Post
    In Vancouver, you might try VAP Auto parts for an actual muffler, then take it to a shop for installation, hangers, etc. You'd save a lot on the muffler itself that way, VAP are amazing.
    Otherwise, you'd be relying on whatever amcustom shop has that fits, should work out okay,,, just get a couple of quotes first.

I've got some parts in Vancouver, if you need.

Thanks for your reply and advice micah - Will have to work out what size i need then go get one at VAP. Regarding parts you don't happen to have a Power Steering Pump for a 2C-T do you? I tried the guys out at http://mustang.bc.c but no luck and i'm waiting to hear back from Rocky Mountain.

Thanks again.

Stephen

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Double check for proper fitment-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STE...8AAOSws65Tpsvz

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by brit_ste View Post
    Thanks for your reply and advice micah - Will have to work out what size i need then go get one at VAP. Regarding parts you don't happen to have a Power Steering Pump for a 2C-T do you? I tried the guys out at http://mustang.bc.c but no luck and i'm waiting to hear back from Rocky Mountain.

Thanks again.

Stephen
    ...sorry no power steering gear here.
    VAP should have info about stock parts.

Just don't climb under there with a disc cutter,,, a desperate move,,tempting to the devil,,, definitely not worth it. 😈

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Double check for proper fitment-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STE...8AAOSws65Tpsvz

JDM
    Wowww, on eBay uk,, but comes from Emirates! 42uk pounds for shipping!