Thread: Loud with vibrations from the rear end (?) at 50 mph

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 2wd AT 88 cargo van 4wd AT 86 cargo van 2wd 5-speed

Loud with vibrations from the rear end (?) at 50 mph

Acquired my 2nd van recently ... now I am a bona fide enthusiast. It really is a gem for the price i gave. It's biggest issue is that at 50 mph it gets loud with vibrations seemingly coming from the rear end. Mysteriously, it smoothes out at 60. Runs great at speeds below 50.

I trailered it home from out of my area for this reason and haven't tested it on the open road . Any thoughts or diagnosis?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

Re: Diamond in the rough 88 4wd AT panel van

Check the drive shaft, similar thing was going on with mine before it failed. They can do lots of damage at higher speeds. I have an OEM one on a parts van still if you want to go that route. I put an aftermarket on mine for around $350 as they are more better.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Diamond in the rough 88 4wd AT panel van

Quote Originally Posted by Riverology View Post
    Check the drive shaft, similar thing was going on with mine before it failed. They can do lots of damage at higher speeds. I have an OEM one on a parts van still if you want to go that route. I put an aftermarket on mine for around $350 as they are more better.
    Thanks for the great info amigo. I was guessing that it could be in the drive line. A mechanic pal down the street is going to drive it soon and hopefully diagnose it. I will update soon.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

Re: Loud with vibrations from the rear end (?) at 50 mph

I had a similar issue a few years ago, changed out the u joints, no joy. Eventually I figured out it was the pass side rear wheel bearing, swapped in a used axle. No issues since. Replacing the bearings with new is the way to go, if the driveshaft proves good.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Loud with vibrations from the rear end (?) at 50 mph

Quote Originally Posted by technocj View Post
    I had a similar issue a few years ago, changed out the u joints, no joy. Eventually I figured out it was the pass side rear wheel bearing, swapped in a used axle. No issues since. Replacing the bearings with new is the way to go, if the driveshaft proves good.
    Thanks for sharing info on this issue. Haven't had time to get to the bottom of this yet.When I do, i will post.

I failed to mention that the issue is with a 4wd AT van.