Thread: vsv/idle speed controll

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    84 le with a 4y drive train and rad

vsv/idle speed controll

does anyone knows how to route vacuum hoses for the vsv,also how to make the idle speed control work.my van runs very good,only idles very low in drive(drops about 400 rpms in drive).cant run a/c in drive, engine shakes. thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4WD 5spd

Re: vsv/idle speed controll

there are three different vsvs, which one are you referring to?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

there are two on the passenger side (electric) and one on top of the intake(manual)so that will be all three.thanks

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE M/T

Quote Originally Posted by jr5446 View Post
    does anyone knows how to route vacuum hoses for the vsv,also how to make the idle speed control work.my van runs very good,only idles very low in drive(drops about 400 rpms in drive).cant run a/c in drive, engine shakes. thanks
    Look like you have a problem with the RPM knob when drive with A/C. on top of the A/C amplifier there is a knob with the R.P.M mark. Turn that knob clockwise all the way will not shakes engine when running A/C in drive. Hope this help !

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

I hope this helps....
    Name:  Vacuum.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  95.9 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

As for your idle speed...it can be a challenge for these vans as many things can cause your idle to be off (i.e. air idle control valve, throttle position sensor, vacuum leak, ignition timing, etc...). First, try adjusting the fuel to air mix by turning the throttle screw with a flathead screw driver. The throttle screw is right above the butterfly that holds the throttle cable...there should be a small rubber cap over it. At operating temp the idle in drive should be around 750 rpms, while in park should be between 1200-1500. If after you adjust the idle and it then continues to change, start trouble shooting. You might want to start by cleaning the throttle body if you've never done so.

Admin edit: Per the service manual, idle speed should be set at operating temp, in neutral, and should be set to 700 rpm for manuals and 750 rpm for automatics. It does not specify an idle speed in drive for automatics.
    Last edited by timsrv; 08-19-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Incorrect information

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

thank you very much,this have been just what i was looking for