Thread: 2wd... double rear springs w Supra rims....

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

DOUBLE SPRUNG 2wd w Supra rims....

...here's some deets and hopefully some pictures of my recent project of doubling rear springs on a 2wd.
    This is not an experiment, I had done this once before on my 490k 2wd,, including a Baja adventure.

First of course, a 2nd set of matching springs is needed,,2wd and 4wd are different.

Raise the van from the frame, so that the axle hangs, disconnect the shocks, disengage the springs with a little help, I simply used the standard jack and some blocks between the body and the wheel drum, there's a minimal push needed here. At this point the existing rear spring slides out, slide the 2nd spring into the first,, and reassemble. That's it!

..Appearance...jacked up! before my 215 70r14's would rub in the wheelwell with standard loads in turns, now there's 2 to 2 1/2'' more clearance and a much stiffer rear end for load carrying.

DRIVING... The first thing I notice is the 'punch' off the startline... there's definitely no spring-slump on acceleration. This enhanced acceleration is accentuated by the 215 70 tires, slightly smaller than the norm. Cornering and handling definitely feel tighter as well Of course there's also a much enhanced capacity for load carrying as well.

Pictures... a 'before' picture is below, taken last year. For 'after',, you'll have to look at my Flikr album....https://www.flickr.com/photos/591030...57668653501582
    I realize the angles of the after-shots don't really show the raise that well,, will add another soon.

......the 'before' picture.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by micah202; 05-30-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Re: 2wd... double rear springs w Supra rims....

...got a couple of pics of the 'after' raising the rear.......

still unable to download directly, but here's the flikr file .... https://www.flickr.com/photos/591030...57668653501582

...raised the proportioning valve a coupla inches,,one of the easiest jobs going!
    I remember last time I double sprung,, only went through front brakes
    ...it was rainy here today,, so it was easy to test whether the rears are grabbing too much, or locking. I believe I noticed the rears doing a bit more,, but if any tires skidded in panic brake tests, it was the fronts.

MOD EDIT — here's one of the photos:

Name:  micah's lifted 2WD.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  57.6 KB