Thread: Unicorn piece

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Unicorn piece

So I'm here visiting in Vancouver BC. I come often, but today, I was able to go to the Junkyard in Chilliwack.

Well, saw a blue previa and guess what?

Ice Maker!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Unicorn piece

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Awesome find

And man.... nice job taking the time to give us the bio-video on your find.

I know whenever I go to the wreckers to pull parts I always think of taking step by step pictures but my hands are so filthy and usually just don't have the time.

Nice job!!

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Thanks man.

At times, I don't mind video taping. When I hit the junkyards, I like to document how I take things off for myself and for others.

I'm not trained or official with the wrench, just tinkering and I like to learn from experience.

With the cool box or the ice maker, it is really about showing it and how because these are rare (at least rare to me and in my area).

Plus it gives me content for my previa blog.

I did not expect finding this today. I just wanted to see what was at the junkyard here in Canada, maybe take pictures of abused JDM cars or seen something that isn't offered in America.

Totally forgot that previas were offered up here with these items, but when I saw it.. .I knew I had to save it. That van was demolished and I'm sure it was going to the crusher soon.

My Van(s):

Nice man, with the way that Previa looked ripped, stripped and whipped!!! It looks like the ice cooler box was was waiting for you!!!!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

there's quite a few differences in those vans that have the cool box... there's additional A/C lines and there's a hole cut out in the floorboard for one of the A/C lines to pass into the cool box... a lot of work to make it work!

there used to be RHD Legacy Wagons sold in North America btw... as postal vehicles
    I've seen a couple already... fully DOT certified

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Probably wasn't convenient with the tools you had, but if you ever plan on making this work you should have cut the lines and got that counterpart to the fitting where the lines connect and a few inches of line after that. At least then you could plumb it through the floor and have a separation point without having to reinvent the wheel. Very cool though, nice find.

In reality, these never were all that practical (more of a novelty). It's just the coolness of having something rare. Maybe you could attach without hooking it to the AC. If nothing else it would servce as extra storage (be sure to hook up the little light inside). Who cares if it doesn't get cold. It is built for moisture though, so you could always throw some dry ice in there and still use as a cool box. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

probably works better in the mild northern climates than the southern hellacious US lol

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Yup.

I have the lines from the previous previa that had the cool box.

But I looked at everything and while I go everything for the ice box (besides the lines), I realize if it was more of a novelty item.

As much as I want it to be functional, It would take some work. That work I don't have time as of right now.

Additionally, where the ice maker was located, there is an airbag computer, which was nicely tucked under the cool box, while the Icebox's previa didn't have that in the way.

I was just surprised to see an ice maker. In all honestly, I was looking for digital gauge cluster for an late 80's Mazda mx-6 and didn't even think about previas. I just decided to go look at the vans and saw the previa.

Once I saw that Ice maker... I knew I had to try and get it.

So it is just a fancy storage box.. without out the cooling element, it offers a huge amount of space!

Anyways, I'm just finding ways to make the previa nice! I need to get a pair of running boards!

My Van(s):
    Current: 1992 Previa Previous: 84 deluxe Vanwagon, 88 cargo Vanwagen, 91 dx manual Previa, 92 AllTrac Previa, 93 Dual Sunroof Previa

Running boards would be sweet.

I too would use the cool box as an ice box as Tim said. It's insulated a bit and would drain melted ice under the van while keeping your Starbucks DoubleShots nice and cold.

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Well, kind of an update.

I have been using the Ice Maker as a storage and I absolutely like it.
    I've had time to reflect on this piece.

So, while it isn't functional, I do like it better than the OEM tray.
    If I didn't get this Ice Maker ($26 Canadian dollars btw), it would have been crushed and one less piece out in the wild.
    So it is something unique for my Previa.
    --------------------------

Earlier this year, I also found a set of running boards, even though they are in rough condition, I still got them and hope to work on them to be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VyAFNbEsX0

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1997 alltrac

Wow, very rare! Have been to 7 different pnps for previas. Have never seen an icemaker or running boards.
    I have pulled 2 rear spoilers and installed on my previas, which aren't as rare. I did put aftermarket running boards on my 84 van, but have never seen them on a previa. My 91 toyota odyssey motorhome, built in a toyota pickup, does have the running boards!

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Quote Originally Posted by cb97alltrac View Post
    Wow, very rare! Have been to 7 different pnps for previas. Have never seen an icemaker or running boards.
    I have pulled 2 rear spoilers and installed on my previas, which aren't as rare. I did put aftermarket running boards on my 84 van, but have never seen them on a previa. My 91 toyota odyssey motorhome, built in a toyota pickup, does have the running boards!
    I found the cool box in Hayward California.. but the previa was Canadian spec. So it was probably someone that moved to the bay area.
    The Ice maker, that was found in a Canadian junkyard when I was going to Vancouver BC every other weekend. I went to that junkyard to see what cars they had and was surprised to see a previa, let alone a Ice maker.

The running boards, I saw on a previa that row52 posted. I've been searching for them for a few 3 yrs now and to find them, even banged up, was nice.

Seeing you are in a northern state, I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually find a Canadian spec previa and get the cool box or ice maker. They are novelty items and while not functional for their intended purposes, still pretty cool to have IMO.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 + 1985

Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to sell my 84 with an original ice maker. AC compressor is bad, so I'm not sure what's working. I'm just wondering how rare/sought after these vans are. How much more should I ask given that it has the ice maker? Thoughts?

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by micahhillis View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to sell my 84 with an original ice maker. AC compressor is bad, so I'm not sure what's working. I'm just wondering how rare/sought after these vans are. How much more should I ask given that it has the ice maker? Thoughts?
    Have a look at the Toyota Van sold archive section to get a general idea. Its hard to put a number on your van when we don't really have any details Good Luck

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Previa

I saw one today at a local pick and pull. Ice Box. Fully legit.