Thread: Factory amp/radio short

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa LE, dual sunroof, 4 disc ABS, swivel seat, Pearl White

Factory amp/radio short

Hey everyone, I'm gonna try this again. I bought this van at the first of the year and it's been fantastic so far. When I got it the radio and click weren't working. I assumed it was some big problem but it ended up that it was the fuse. When I replaced the fuse I got some really bad smoke inside the cabin I couldn't locate but then everything worked again. Don't know how long it had been like that. A guy on my first thread said he had the same thing happen and that it was the amp smoking so he wired around it. I just left it. I put in an aftermarket head unit. All was well for a few months then I started to get a thump followed by a horrific screeching sounds when it was wet outside from my front speakers. That went on for a month and then I just replaced the speakers. It happened again once and then not again. It's now about a month later and I started to get a low bass feedback sound that would continue after the van would turn off even. It was from the 6x9. On the way to work today the system shorted out. Naturally I thought it was the fuse again. Nope. Checked it and the fuse was fine... But the radio and clock don't work still... I'm at a loss. No idea what the problem actually is or where in the world it finally shorted out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Factory amp/radio short

This is what I found when I cracked open the factory amp... great...0613161937.jpg0613161937.jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

My Van(s):
    Current: 1992 Previa Previous: 84 deluxe Vanwagon, 88 cargo Vanwagen, 91 dx manual Previa, 92 AllTrac Previa, 93 Dual Sunroof Previa

Might be time to bypass that amp......

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

looks like the capacitor popped and took everything else out with it

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Yeah I pulled the capacitor out with my fingers and it took some of the board epoxy with it. Definitely not salvageable. I don't have any idea who would have one around here either.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 le 133k 96dx 70k

I replaced my fact radio with a Jensen touchscreen for $280, had to bypass the fact amp under passenger side dash to get the sound to work anyway. I now have nav, Sirius, Bluetooth, dvd player, backup camera- got a cheap camera on ebay or amazon for
    $10. very easy to install, just need the harness connecter connected at the amp instead of behind radio- to get sound to work- and spliced in 3 ft of wire for each connection to reach the radio area. fits the previa opening perfectly- looks stock. crutchfied- they provide instructions and install. help. best upgrade I have done, adding rear spoiler I got from pick and pull was 2nd.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

I've actually got a Boss Audio head unit I installed into it when I bought it. Install was hard to be honest. They have the harness for an amplified system and the harness for a non amplified system sitting behind the stock head unit. Thought it wasn't amplified since it was single din but I was wrong. Almost blew up my new head unit plugging it in like that. So, the 2 part harness that was at the amp in the back is that same 2 part harness as you would find for a non amplified system? I actually have that wiring harness from the first time I tried to install so I could just wire it up real quick and plug it in if that's the case. I'm still at a loss as to whether it would work though. I have no power to the circuit. The clock, radio, and interior lights don't work at all right now. And the fuse is definitely good. It's very confusing. There's not a relay that would be somewhere for the radio circuit is there?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, the Fujitsu 10 radios definitely used crap capacitors. I had to go through my 91 Previa's "premium sound system" and replace all the caps when it was about 10 years old. When it hit ~15 years old and started acting up again (not sure what it was) I just yanked it all out and put an aftermarket sound system in. That was ~10 years ago and it's all still working. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Alright so I actually figured it all out a few days ago. The dome light fuse was actually the one that was out. I forgot the radio was part of that circuit. I went ahead and trashed the amp since it was obviously toast. I pulled the head unit and rewired it with the stock system wiring harness. Turned it on and everything worked fine. It actually seems louder now that the amp is gone. The stock non amplified system hook up that was being the radio hooked right up and was fine. No need to run them to the hookup under the glove compartment. All is well now. Thought you all might like to know.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 toyota previa

Hi, can you tell me the exact model you installed? I would like to do the same. Do you think the guys at the Best Buy will be able to install for me? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bernard 95,96 View Post
    I replaced my fact radio with a Jensen touchscreen for $280, had to bypass the fact amp under passenger side dash to get the sound to work anyway. I now have nav, Sirius, Bluetooth, dvd player, backup camera- got a cheap camera on ebay or amazon for
    $10. very easy to install, just need the harness connecter connected at the amp instead of behind radio- to get sound to work- and spliced in 3 ft of wire for each connection to reach the radio area. fits the previa opening perfectly- looks stock. crutchfied- they provide instructions and install. help. best upgrade I have done, adding rear spoiler I got from pick and pull was 2nd.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1997 alltrac

Jensen 7020 or 7022 a lot for the money. Double Dins are easy to install if you can twist 2 wires together. Just get a metra harness connector for Toyota (previa). Hardest part is getting the old radio/ faceplate out. Buy it from Crutchfield if you think you need installation help.