Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermittent Starting Problems & Check Engine Light!!! '91 Previa LE AWD

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Previa

Re: Intermittent Starting Problems & Check Engine Light!!! '91 Previa LE AWD

Hello.

Ari's problem sounds EXACTLY like the intermittent no start, and occasional but rare stall, i've been having since i bought my 1993 2WD Prev a month and a half ago. I even had the "check engine light turns on but the van keeps running fine" happen once. The fusible link box is clean as a whistle as is just about everything else on the egg. First, I tried a "new" used Fuel Pump Relay / Circuit Opening Relay. I then tested for spark when the condition was present and had no zaps coming from spark plug #1. Second, I got a tune up and had the "murder scene" of a valve cover gasket leak fixed (that was the problem according to Prestige Toyota in Kingston...thanks for that little nugget of wisdom). There was apparently some oil in the distributor. I also had a used igniter put in at the same time as the tune up and valve cover fix. The problem persisted so I next replaced the ignition coil with a cheapo new ignition coil. No luck. Near despair I joined TVT and re-read this thread. During my initial research I had written Ari's thread off because of the "& check engine light!!!" which I wasn't having. Now that I see his problem is identical to mine I have the van at the shop getting a reman distributor installed tomorrow. If the problem isn't solved tomorrow I will be at wit's end. Please pray for my golden egg.

I will post a follow up tomorrow evening or the following day.

Lots of love,

Craig

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Previa

So definitely didn't post "tomorrow" but wanted to follow up my last post. I got a reman distributor installed the day after the last post and the problem got worse...it was starting up better but was stalling all the time and then after a stall i had to wait 45 minutes or so. Brought the van back to the mechanic the next day and he put the old distributor back in. The frequent stalling went away and i was back to my familiar intermittent crank no start at operating temperature (with occasional stalling after heavy use). I ordered a used factory distributor from a junkyard and when my mechanic put it on the problem was solved BINGO BONGO. I spoke with the fellow who sold me the car and he said he had the original distributor replaced because his mechanics damaged it while changing the cap and rotor in 2011. So the lesson here is reman distributors are roflroflroflrofl for Previas. Now that my Golden Egg is running smooth I bought a 1993 Geo Metro Convertible LSi. I'm having the head rebuilt as we speak...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1994 sc alltrac

Hey Tim , is there a way to test the fuel pump relay, I don't have access to a junk yard for a different one. I ran a jumper to the two contacts you mentioned and my pump ran fine. I put my tank and pump back together, it started right up. Then the next time I try to start it no fuel pump. With my banjo fitting on my filter open it should be squirting fuel right?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've gotten a bit rusty on my Previa knowledge (sorry). The last Previa I had sat for 5 years without being used and I finally sold it last year. I tend to have short term memory when it comes to stuff I no longer play around with. I'm sure others here will be able to help. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    92 awd previa 96 awd s/c previa

Quote Originally Posted by discountdracula View Post
    So definitely didn't post "tomorrow" but wanted to follow up my last post. I got a reman distributor installed the day after the last post and the problem got worse...it was starting up better but was stalling all the time and then after a stall i had to wait 45 minutes or so. Brought the van back to the mechanic the next day and he put the old distributor back in. The frequent stalling went away and i was back to my familiar intermittent crank no start at operating temperature (with occasional stalling after heavy use). I ordered a used factory distributor from a junkyard and when my mechanic put it on the problem was solved BINGO BONGO. I spoke with the fellow who sold me the car and he said he had the original distributor replaced because his mechanics damaged it while changing the cap and rotor in 2011. So the lesson here is reman distributors are roflroflroflrofl for Previas. Now that my Golden Egg is running smooth I bought a 1993 Geo Metro Convertible LSi. I'm having the head rebuilt as we speak...
    hows your egg running ? I have the same issues .. would yours start back up with starting fluid?

stoked I came across this thread ..
    just changed igniter and coil tonight and was so hopeful .. not it !!

I have changed this all ready
    MAF
    All three coolent temp sensors
    TPS
    Rotor
    Cap
    Fuel pressure test
    compression test
    fuel filter
    plugs

At least I’m getting an education

thanks tj

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the TPS... my stalling and no start issue was due to damaged wires by the connecton.