Thread: Fuel line replacement?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4WD "The Buffalo"

Fuel line replacement?

After replacing the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, that rubber accordion boot from the air filter to the intake, we decided to finish the job off with new oil and fuel filters. HA. Neither of us had done a fuel filter before and I won't recant what numerous threads on here already have to say about doing the FF but needless to say, we botched that job. In the form of cracking the metal line that runs from the fuel filter to the intake around the front of the head. I have an '87 4WD and am having trouble identifying the part/name/number as well as a good place to find one.

I I had the idea of finding braided hose with banjo fittings that would save the hassle of having to cut/bend a new line but wasn't sure of the possibilities there. If someone could help me find a line with the banjo bolts already installed I would be most thankful.

Cheers!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Fuel line replacement?

Bump

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

If it's still available, the part number is 23801-73010 and is listed at www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat for $38.69.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

If you can buy a new hard line definitely do.
    I have one you can have but I'm pretty sure it clogged my injectors-you'd have to clean it really, really well and even then not sure it wouldn't dirty yours up too.
    I ended up going back to what came with my van which was the hard line from the filter then a soft line then back to hard line to the injectors. It's not optimum but it's how I got the van and has worked-I'm guessing someone broke my hard line like you did yours.
    I can take a picture if it helps.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks both for the tips. I think I'll have to go full high pressure hose with barbed banjo fittings completely from filter to injectors. I can try and splice it from the original steel line at the regulator to high pressure hose at the filter but I don't know what fittings I'll need to join them. Photos would definitely help! I'm pretty bummed out that I just traded my All-Trac wagon for this and I can't even drive it yet. At least it should be very decent when I'm finished...

I'll pass on your hardline if it had anything to do with souring your injectors, but thank you!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Your flexi line with banjo fittings sounds awesome. Will you post a picture when you do?
    Mine is a bit embarrassing- rubber fuel line with a hose clamp to attach it to the broken hard line (which has the banjos).
    I'd post a pic but it's not safe to use...look at Tim's post below.
    Last edited by djshimon; 07-02-2016 at 01:34 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...8875#post18875

Read from this post up to post #54........make sure read the part about type of hose and clamps to use. If nothing else, make sure the hoses and clamps are rated for the pressure as this is a major safety concern. Old school hose and clamps aren't good enough here as fuel pressure can exceed 50 psi. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim. I can't believe I'm using this after reading that thread. I deleted my picture so it isn't used as a fix...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota previas, Econoline and 1 1988 Space Lego Van

brittle fuel lines, please help.....

I just bought an 88 been sitting awhile, I have heard horror stories about cracked fuel lines leaking and starting fires, I looked in the engine compartment and had NO IDEA which lines were the lines to replace..... any pics anywhere showing in detail which lines and where they are that need to be replaced....the important ones ? Thanx !!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: brittle fuel lines, please help.....

I not aware of a particular problem with "cracked lines" as such.
    It is a good idea to inspect the entire fuel system (especially the rubber bits) but that would hold true for any "new to you" 30 yr old vehicle, regardless of mileage.

Fuel pressure regulators and dampers are a potential problem area that do need to be fully assessed.

These 2 threads are a good place to start:

Gasoline leak
    Testing fuel system / replacing fuel pressure regulator

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

thanx, there are so many hoses and lines in there......I cant tell whats what ... like spaghetti in there

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by spacelegovan View Post
    I just bought an 88 been sitting awhile, I have heard horror stories about cracked fuel lines leaking and starting fires, I looked in the engine compartment and had NO IDEA which lines were the lines to replace..... any pics anywhere showing in detail which lines and where they are that need to be replaced....the important ones ? Thanx !!
    no input on which ones are the fuel lines in there ?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

About 95% of the fuel lines are steel, the only rubber lines will be: tank to lines and lines to filter.
    FPD's and FPR's are said to be challenging to replace, haven't had the pleasure myself as yet, but it's on the todo list.

If unsure what you're looking at, make it simple, start at the tank and follow the lines that come off the top, there's only 3 (feed, return and vent)
    then just trace them up to the front.
    There should be pic's in those links that should help, too.
    Cant do pics myself due to temperamental computer issues

Maybe take a pic of exactly what you're looking at, thats causing the confusion?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Perhaps the stories you've heard are about other vehicles or the stories were told incorrectly?

FPD's and FPR's (to a lesser degree) do indeed cause fires, mostly because they start to leak, no one pays attention then all of a sudden..... Woof!
    That is the only issue I am personally aware of.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Perhaps the stories you've heard are about other vehicles or the stories were told incorrectly?

FPD's and FPR's (to a lesser degree) do indeed cause fires, mostly because they start to leak, no one pays attention then all of a sudden..... Woof!
    That is the only issue I am personally aware of.
    Thanx, I will pay more attn. to them for sure....