Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sometimes no start, sometimes dash lights

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Re: Dash lights now, help!

Thank you and actually I havent done battery check under a load, nor light check. Hadnt gotten any further yet as I had to work and then going to races sat so will jump in again on Sunday! It is very possible that the battery is at least part of the problem as not sure how long it was in van before I got it but it has been sitting for well over a year so?? Will be borrowing a good battery for testing purposes Sunday! Thanks again!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

When will you be home Sunday? I'm not planning to head home until early afternoon.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Planning on getting home early Sunday morning or depending on how we feel I may even drive home Sat night! So either way I should be here Sunday morning!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

PM'ing you my number.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Question Re: Dash lights now, help!

Ok so was able to get back to working on the van and for days I have had nothing when turning key!
    more checking all the wiring again found that the positive wire to starter wasnt tight and needed a washer to get it tight! Done! Still dont like the negative cable ground so am replacing that as soon as I can find a good place that I can actually get the bolt or nut loose as the old one I cant bugde. But took a jumper cable from battery and grounded it to a bolt on engine and bam it starts, but with all warning lights again! So after a few minutes of messing with the next item inder suspision the ignition switch as a couple of the soldered points were able to be moved some and when I started again no lights they went out as supposed to!
    So at least for now I need to locate an ignition switch and a place to attach my negative cable from battery!
    Does anyone have any ideas on either item in question! Gosh seems always so close and yet so far away!
    Last edited by Rivvy121060; 08-06-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Question Re: Dash lights now, help!

Help one more question? Do you have to by separately headlight switch/dimmer switch from the ignition switch as I am thinking that when I use my dimmer switch it seems to drag motor down for a second, nothing else that I see just that? Anyone have any input on this? Should I replace all or can you even get them anymore???????

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Talking Re: Dash lights now, help!

well great news! Knock on wood!, replace the negative battery cable and the loose solder points on ignition switch my dad soldered them and so far so good! Been starting
    right up and the warning lights have all went out as supposed to! Have driven it a little further each time just to make sure nothing pops up! So hoping that maybe tomorrow night
    I will bring her home for good!
    My next adventure is somehow re doing the interior as the carpet is basically just disintegrating! Any advice?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    IG:@dialupthevan 89 - 2WD - 201k 87 - 4WD - 188K

I had a similar problem with the "christmas tree lights" situation, I was out driving last night enjoying the nice and cool weather and my brake, oil, charge & radiator light came on but wouldn't stay on. It just would periodically flash ( freeway was kinda bumpy don't know if that matters or not ) However, I pulled over and noticed I was a little low on oil and brake fluid. I topped them off and drove about 80 miles and they didn't flash again. Car turns on fine, everything works but should I be worried? or is there something else I should check just in case?

Thanks again!
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota 2wd manual

I feel this seems a good place to ask my question, I'm new here, but probably will be around for awhile as I'm in love, already looking for my next 4x4. Anyways.. my van started acting up and read the codes for the ignition switch starter or ignition switch. Long story short it would take forever to get started it seemed it didn't want to fire up but after awhile would go. I can't drive it hard anymore and decided I'd start attempting to fix and smooth out my experience with this beast. I replaced the ignition switch and now the car won't do anything, no power atoll, no lights, nothing, I tried jumping the car and nothing, my battery is fairly new. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and test a different battery but does anyone know why might be going on? I assume maybe I knocked some wire loose on the starter but to be honest I don't even know where it is. Any help is soo appreciated, I'm about to take this thing around the country traveling and painting so I'm hoping to get it moving soon!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Question Am I crazy or my baby?

I started post before about about no spark issue, then xmas lights and nothing!
    so got all of issues resolved and drove the van several times with no problems,
    then I broke my wrist so havent started it for about three weeks until yesterday.
    when I started it the dash lights once again stayed on and so I shut it off and when
    tried to start it again I had nothing! Could this be a insufficient battery even tho it
    reads 11.7 volts? Or am I back to the drawing board again? Clearly makes no sense
    to me how it is fine fine then not!!
    please help I have 3 vehicles and all broke down this one being the most wanted and
    closest to running, my other is a 2000 Taurus very nice but blown head gasket and seems
    they are not worth fixing! I have never thought of any car being a "throw away" but
    this is what I am hearing!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

Re: Am I crazy or my baby?

You should have more than 11.7 volts. 12.5 would be ideal.

I've had batteries that would charge to 11.9, but they failed the load test. Take it to a battery shop and have them load test it.

The dash lights are a concern though too. Is your power steering pump leaking on your alternator?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

I dont really see that the power steering has been or is leaking. The battery I will have tested it is just wierd that it so randomly does this and then be good for several runs, I havent driven it very far each time because I am unsure of whT is going on with it! Very perplexed!
    thanks!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

The fact that it started, you shut it off quickly, and then it wouldn't start leads me to believe that the battery was low and the alternator didn't have time to charge it up enough to start it. You should be above 11.7 volts.

Did it crank at all when you tried to start it again or was there literally "nothing"?

If the battery passes the load test, then you should put it on a charger and have your alternator tested.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Lightbulb Re: Am I crazy or my baby?

my problem is from the plug going to ignition switch as I unplugged it and then just touched them slightly together and then it fires up but I still had the radiator and oil staying on the charge light did go out! So I guess I need new ignition harness? Or switch or both? I am tempted to just by pass and hot wire but dint really want to have it all apart just want to be drivable
    Does anyone have or know if it is possible to even get these parts? Any input why the charge light went out but other two stayed on? One more question I replaced the negative
    battery cable and it does not go to body and then block just to block, it does however have a smaller wire thatcan be a ground to the body, so should that smaller wire also be grounded?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvy121060 View Post
    it does not go to body and then block just to block, it does however have a smaller wire thatcan be a ground to the body, so should that smaller wire also be grounded?
    Always start with easy / cheap things first. The key switch does sound faulty.
    A good body ground is important, so yes connect it.
    Check all connections for corrosion.
    Should see 12.4v w/o any load, open a door and see if the light drops the voltage rapidly. It shouldn't.

I'm here to find parts myself.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Update!!
    I was able to get my hands on a new ignition switch harness and when all hooked up turned key over and nothing no lights or anything! Battery is reading 12.4! So I start again looking for an obvious problem. See nothing so I unplug the harness and turn key on and when I barely put the plugs together the I believe is relay clicks and my charge light comes on! I was alone so I couldnt try to see if it would start by barely touching together, but if I push them as if plugging in then nothing! ao I just had my light that checks for power and with key off there was power at the white/red wire and the white/green and nothing else! But with key on white/red was the only one that had power! More confused now so decide to see if I could hot wire it and by running a wire from w/r to w/g and to b/r and I think it was b/w I could get it to turn over but didnt start as I was more just checking to see if it was battery or starter or ??? So is this switch faulty as well or is there something I am missing?? please or please someone have some thoughts on this before I loose my marbles!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 vanwagon

Question Electrical/starting?? Problems

Ok here I go again! With new ignition switch and new battery; I attempt to start it and I have nothing! I have headlights and that is all! Now I can turn key on and run an jumper and it fired right up and purrs but nothing with the key! Also when running I have no guages or tail lights just the headlights and flasher but no turn signals! Any ideas what I am missing here?