Thread: Rough engaging from neutral to first gear / Clutch shudder or chatter

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Rough engaging from neutral to first gear / Clutch shudder or chatter

I'm [...] actually getting a lot of chatter from stop. Especially in reverse. All the parts I used were Toyota parts but the clutch disc a friend picked up for me. I wondered if this was the correct one? It's Aisin part # DT-036. I was told this was correct but I remember comparing the old clutch disc (also Aisin) next to the new and there were some differences....Clutch is not slipping, just chatters as I accelerate from a stop.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: leaky bellhousing / Clutch, Bearing, Seals Replaced

Regarding chatter, the only other thing that comes to mind is contamination on a friction surface. I suspect you know all this, but it's worth mentioning. Before mating the clutch disc to the pressure plate and flywheel, it's crucial these surfaces are spotless. These should be wiped down with lacquer thinner or brake clean & paper towels until the towel stays clean.......and only then should these parts be mated. Greasy hand prints or any other contamination on these surfaces can really mess things up. Even though they may look clean, new pressure plates are coated with cosmoline (or similar anti corrosive product) and must be cleaned before assembly (friction surface). If the clutch disc fit good enough to assemble, then I'd have to assume it's the right one. Still, when working on Toyotas, when it comes to composite friction surfaces, I only trust genuine Toyota.

If I were taking this apart again, I'd probably replace the disc and have the flywheel touched up again. I'd carefully inspect the pressure plate, and if I saw anything questionable I'd replace it too. I know it sucks to fork out more money for parts you just replaced, but it sucks even more to do this job a 3rd time. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

[... ] Good to know about new component, I'll make sure to pay closer attention next go. Since Toyota told me a new clutch disc couldn't be shipped within the US, I figured the one directly from Aisin would be suitable. Maybe I'll see if Toyota would agree to ship to Mexico. Only a couple hours to border...hmm

As I retrace my steps, I do recall failing to place a mark on the flywheel and the clutch cover as the manual instructs. Wondering what the purpose of making the marks were? I recall the cover only mating up a certain way, but the new surfaced flywheel may have rotated around.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If the OE clutch disc isn't available, then you don't have much choice. Sounds like you got as close to OE as possible. It's rare, but I've had this problem before too. Did everything right (as far as I know) but still ended up with a grabby chattering clutch. Replacing the pressure plate again would likely be too excessive (and expensive), but your time is worth something too, so personally I'd probably replace again. If everything looks good when it's apart, I'd still at least use a surface conditioning pad on a die grinder to rough things up again, get a new clutch disc regardless, and clean with a harsh chemical like lacquer thinner before assembling.

If OE isn't available, I'd probably at least switch to a different brand of disc. I'd probably go to Napa and ask the guys which AM company they consider premium quality, then go with that. Good luck. Tim

PS: If you were reinstalling the same parts, marking would be a good idea. Since you were replacing, making marks wouldn't accomplish anything. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Rough engaging from neutral to first gear

I thought I was out of the vintage van game.. But a 4x4 manual transmission just fell into my lap. On the fence whether to sell or keep but I think I'm gonna treat her like mine for now. When I fist start driving the van for the day everything runs smooth. After about 10 mins of driving the van has 'trouble' shifting from neutral to first. Moving the stick is fine. It's just when I release the clutch / push the gas it feels as if I'm doing it wrong (I'm not). The van shudders / chugs a bit and then engages. The idle seems to be set too high but only settles at that higher point once the van is warm (about 10 mins of driving) 2-2500rpm. Dot kno if that could be related to the 'shudder'. Or is that a sign of clutch going out??

Thanks! You guys rock!!!

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Re: Rough engaging from neutral to first gear

Quote Originally Posted by ingmire View Post
    a 4x4 manual transmission just fell into my lap.
    Why, oh why, doesn't it happens to me?
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Rough engaging from neutral to first gear

Mine shudders into first also-worse in the winter. So does our Volvo 240 going into 1st. I think it's the flywheel needing smoothed out (grinding) or a new one. But it doesn't seem to get worse. If you can't get into gear may need to add fluid to the reservoir or you may have a leaking master/slave cylinder.