Thread: Front End - '91 Previa LE AWD - Ball Joint, Tie Rod Ends, Sway Bar link & Bushings

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE AWD

Front End - '91 Previa LE AWD - Ball Joint, Tie Rod Ends, Sway Bar link & Bushings

Hi All,

Thought I'd start a new thread as this is a separate issue to my intermittent starts, that I hope to have rectified later today. But that's another story..l

I will be tackling a bunch of loosey goosey issues starting very soon (just waiting on parts that are in transit) and I was hoping to get a bit of helpful advice such as what is posted on this thread http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ours-%282wd%29 for what I'm about to get into with my Previa.

Another one that I'm looking at is http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008a513 and I'm wondering if I do need to drain the oil for the diff first, as recommended, or will I be sitting in a pool of oil as soon as I pull the outer CV/axle?

I will be replacing:
    - the Drivers side outer CV/axle shaft
    - the passenger outer CV boot
    - the passenger ball joint
    - both sway bar links and bushings
    - both outer tie rod ends

Any helpful hints/diagrams would be great, and I'm aware that once I'm done I'll need to go directly to an alignment shop.

Thanks in advance,

Ari
    1991 Previa LE AWD
    www.simplydeliciouslodge.com
    Last edited by Ari; 05-19-2011 at 12:30 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Front End - '91 Previa LE AWD - Ball Joint, Tie Rod Ends, Sway Bar link & Bushing

Out of the 4 Previas I've had, so far all of them needed struts (they typically fail between 150 -200k miles). None of them have needed anything else regarding front suspension (yet), so I can't comment from experience on the other suspension issues you mention. Here's a link to a thread about struts: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...eady-need-help!! Enjoy. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE AWD

Re: Front End - '91 Previa LE AWD - Ball Joint, Tie Rod Ends, Sway Bar link & Bushing

Hi again,

I'm happy to say that after many hours on the internet doing research, that it payed off and after nearly as many hours actually working on the van after waiting on parts and visits to my local wrecker, I've successfully redone the front end (a 1st for me) on the Previa.

Here is a list of what I replaced:
    - Driver side half shaft/CV (wrecker)
    - Driver side strut/spring assembly (wrecker)
    - Both sides ball joints (new - rockauto.com)
    - Both sides tie rod ends (new - rockauto.com)
    - Both sides sway bar links (new - rockauto.com)
    - Both sides sway bar bushings (new - rockauto.com)

... and the end result is that what used to bang like a S.O.B. when going over bumps now glides over like its got a new and stiff front end. No sway, no wobble, and no loud noises! It's going in for an alignment on Tuesday and with a bit of luck there will be no more front end issues for years to come.

Thanks for all the help...
    Ari

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

I'm posting this on an old thread because it seems appropriate and may save someone a bunch of cash and hassle.

I have a 91 previa which was making all sorts of hellish clunking noises going over bumps.
    To cut a long story short, when I had my sway bar links off I noticed that one of them had the teeny weeniest bit of play on one end of the link. No way that could be the source of the godawful clunking. Well, way it could. Replaced the link and all noise has gone. I would never have believed that this almost inperceptible looseness was the source of the noise.

If you have front suspension noise going over bumps, check the links. It's really simple to take them off and if you can detect ANY play in either end, replace the link.

Edit... btw it's an all-trac manual 5 speed with 210k miles.

jw
    Last edited by Jonny; 06-08-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

My newly purchased '93 5 speed with 214K miles had the same awful noises. One sway bar link had a little play. Replaced both links ... noise substantially reduced but not gone.
    I noticed there was a crescent moon gap around both of the sway bar bushings. Are these things meant to be snug? I assume so, but I don't know. Anyway, they are $25 each from Toyota so to test whether that indeed was the source of the remaining noise without shelling out $50 I made two crescent moon pieces out of some 1" PVC lying around and hammered them into the gaps. No more noise. Although this was just a test I'm leaving them in there as another test. If they fall out I'll post here again.

DSCN4687.jpg
    DSCN4688.jpg
    Last edited by Jonny; 08-31-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi again,

I'm happy to say that after many hours on the internet doing research, that it payed off and after nearly as many hours actually working on the van after waiting on parts and visits to my local wrecker, I've successfully redone the front end (a 1st for me) on the Previa.

Here is a list of what I replaced:
    - Driver side half shaft/CV (wrecker)
    - Driver side strut/spring assembly (wrecker)
    - Both sides ball joints (new - rockauto.com)
    - Both sides tie rod ends (new - rockauto.com)
    - Both sides sway bar links (new - rockauto.com)
    - Both sides sway bar bushings (new - rockauto.com)

... and the end result is that what used to bang like a S.O.B. when going over bumps now glides over like its got a new and stiff front end. No sway, no wobble, and no loud noises! It's going in for an alignment on Tuesday and with a bit of luck there will be no more front end issues for years to come.

Thanks for all the help...
    Ari
    Thanks for providing information about your front end rebuild. I'm considering this for my 1992 Previa LE and was considering Proforged parts. What brand did you end up going with for the parts?