Thread: Rack & pinion leak

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Rack & pinion leak

I tried the archives but .....I have a leak (bad) coming from the tie rod (rack end) under the boot cover. Can I fix this without tearing out the whole steering housing ? Where can I get the seals ?
    Thanks Dan

"87" barely on the road, but still worth the 1000 bucks i paid for it 4 years ago !

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: Rack & pinion leak

If i understand you right, I've got a leak there as well:

Name:  IMG_3366.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  88.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3367.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  89.2 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86' Cargo Van ATM

I had just purchased my current van in 2005 when I had to deal with the same problem of leaking boots. I know all the "purests" on the forum will pooh-pooh this, but I had great success with Bar's Leaks Power Steering Concentrate. I figured it couldn't hurt so I filled the reservoir often for the first month or so. That was 11 years ago and, every so often, I top off the reservoir with a shot glass worth. I haven't seen a drop under the van in all these years and my several alternators have stayed clean. That's my 2 cents.

Gary

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

I just started getting a leak from the inner side of the boot but only when the wheels are fully turned left or right. I looked at all of the diagrams I can find and on different parts sites and can't find if there's an inner seal behind the tie rod R/P boot. There has to be a gasket(s) failed for this to happen.

Anyone know?

I found an entire NOS rack for $700 but I'm not going that route.

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

I added Lucas power steering fluid stop leak to the reservoir when it was low. About 200 miles later and no more leaks so I'm just going to let this play out.

I did find a gasket/seal kit available through my local Toyota dealership for $120. If you remove the inner tie rods and boots you can see them. Not sure about the procedure for replacing them but it shouldn't be too hard.

I also found complete re-manufactured racks for around $300 plus a core charge at O'Reilly auto parts. So that's an option too.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

id be interested in this as well, mine appears to be leaking on the passenger side. also get a sort of hard clicking noise at full turn and clunking over bumps etc. I assume this is related to the leak.