Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Roy Meyers still making push bars?

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Is Roy Meyers still making push bars?

Saw this on another site, but haven't found anymore info on it other than he isn't making them anymore. Just wondering if anyone knows anymore specs on this? I'd love to build one or if Roy decides to build them again purchase one.
    moonbuggy bar.jpg
    thanks Josh

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: Is Roy Meyers still making push bars?

I'd be interested as well if you find anything out

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I think he stopped making them awhile back, I tried to email him back in 2014 only to have it kicked back.

Here's a link to a outfit that makes all kinds of old Toyota accoutrements for old school Toyota and maybe by giving them the measurements of the bracket width and corner to corner width and other specifics and they can modify one to fit?

Looks like they specialize in Toyotas

If you contact them give us the details!!! Do tell!!!

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/index...=index&cPath=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 08-29-2016 at 01:09 PM.

My Van(s):

small world. Scotty (owner of Addicted Offroad) put the front diff and air locker in my 3rd gen SC'd 4runner. His stuff is pretty nice but custom stuff is pretty pricey.
    Do you know of anyone that purchased one of Roy's bumper guards? I'd like to get some better photos and/or measurements off on it.
    thanks Josh
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Yes what a small world!!!

Nope I haven't heard of anyone that's purchased the bar from Roy, but some of us have covered the topic and there have been some members that modified bull bar/bumper guards from other vehicles.

Here's a thread that myself and a few others have discussed-

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...light=Bull+bar

My Van(s):

Update: 8/29
    i have emailed Roy and he is looking at doing another run of these push/bush bars. This is likely a single batch not sure if he will do another run. He is in the middle of a number of projects including getting his Toyota van reference site back up. If you are interested in getting on the production list, PM me your email/ name and I'll forward it on to him.
    I'll leave the specifics up to him, but this isn't some flimsy tube just to hold some lights on. These are designed to support the weight of the van and protect AC in event of off road shenanigans.
    Josh

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Wow dang, thanks for the update! I'm definitely interested if i can get the cash together I'll send you a PM.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Didn't these have a skid plate option? I wonder if that could be included in the run

Also does this bar replace the stock nerf bar assembly under the nose of the van?
    Last edited by LightBlueToy; 08-29-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Cool - any idea on what the price will be?

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by LightBlueToy View Post
    Didn't these have a skid plate option? I wonder if that could be included in the run

Also does this bar replace the stock nerf bar assembly under the nose of the van?
    Yes, I believe this does replace the o2thin tubing nerf bar under the front end.
    I asked him about the skid plate option, Roy mentioned that he tested one, but he said it reduced the air going to the AC condenser enough that it effected output in a negative way. It was made out of aluminum, and bolted onto the nerf bar. Not sure if he will offer that as an option.

I was thinking about experimenting with a plate with cut outs to help w/air flow.
    Josh

@gambit, not sure when they were offered before they were $400 I believe. Really depends on how many are interested in buying as he has to first get the tubing bent into his design and then weld them up. Once he has a confirmed number of orders he'll know how much the tube bending will run?
    thanks
    Last edited by bikerjosh; 08-30-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: aded info

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Yes, I believe this does replace the o2thin tubing nerf bar under the front end.
    I asked him about the skid plate option, Roy mentioned that he tested one, but he said it reduced the air going to the AC condenser enough that it effected output in a negative way. It was made out of aluminum, and bolted onto the nerf bar. Not sure if he will offer that as an option.

I was thinking about experimenting with a plate with cut outs to help w/air flow.
    Josh

@gambit, not sure when they were offered before they were $400 I believe. Really depends on how many are interested in buying as he has to first get the tubing bent into his design and then weld them up. Once he has a confirmed number of orders he'll know how much the tube bending will run?
    thanks

Thanks for the further info. My stock nerf bar thing is in pretty bad shape so the Roy Bar would be a nice replacement.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

couple of questions i thought of while thinking about this, no worries if you can't answer them:

1. what is the weight of the bar? my van has a difficult time already pulling all the extra weight from my custom rear bumper, roof rack, lights, camping gear, etc.
    2. is it weld on? bolt on? either way works for me, though with welding, i'd have to borrow a buddy's tools and expertise
    3. are there any other photos of it installed besides the one in the first post? id like to see it in more detail, or a video in action.
    4. can the height be custom specified? what about the tube diameter? the reason i ask is i have some bumper mounted LEDs. i could always relocate them to the bar itself, but i'd like to have the bar be a little more low-profile.

$400 is obviously a lot of cash, but my stock bar is hanging on for dear life so this would be a nice upgrade...

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Good points.

I am also wondering if it will work on a van without the AC condenser installed. I assume it should, but want to be sure before spending the money of course.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

One other question i thought of. i see the bumper from this thread from a cherokee, and saw another member use one from a ranger ( i think his user name was krusty?)

seemed like there wasn't too much modification required and with those they were able to get a full custom bumper and nice place for a winch, lights etc.

is there any real advantage to going the route of the bull bar vs finding a bumper off a ranger/cherokee? I imagine you could probably get one for around the same price as this bull bar? am i wrong? anyone that has one mind sharing what it costed?

plus a custom bumper just looks awesome. johnsons van above has always made me drool

just trying to determine which would be a better fit for me and my van... or maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Advantages of the roy meyers bar I think would be that it protects the AC condenser and underneath the nose of the van whereas the bumpers you mentioned probably don't? I also feel like the bar should be lighter than the bumper on krusty or johnson's.

BTW to add to the list of questions: Does this bar have provisions for mounting lights? It is hard for me to tell from the picture

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

this isn't some flimsy tube just to hold some lights on. These are designed to support the weight of the van and protect AC in event of off road shenanigans.
    Josh
    I'm in for shenanigans!
    And if it would bolt (weld) to the hiace

Also like to be able to strap 2 bikes to it.

My Van(s):

So after a lot of back and forth with Roy, sounds like he isn’t going to do a run of these this year. Total drag after all the correspondence but totally get it.
    On the flip side I dropped my van off at Stellar Built in Sacramento CA to have a rear bumper w/swing out, integrated hitch, spare carrier, and gas/water can mounts. While I was there we looked under the front at the lack of protection afforded by the oem set up. He is going to work up costs on basically something that looks just like the existing one but out of much stronger DOM tubing and the option of an extension that will either bolt onto that or could be welded on. In any case the replacement will have additional cross bracing to make the whole structure more rigid and protect AC condenser since a skid plate would restrict airflow to that.
    more to come

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Shucks, thanks for liasoning

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Bummer, keep us posted if you ever find anything else. Reinforcing the stock bar sounds awesome to me. ive considered doing something similar myself. If i can find a buddy with a welder

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4x4

Stellar Built in Sacramento CA to have a rear bumper w/swing out, integrated hitch, spare carrier, and gas/water can mounts.
    Stoked to see this. Tell him to keep the specs as I'd be interested in the same!