Thread: Quartz analog dash clock has a broken movement

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quartz analog dash clock has a broken movement

Is this a part that can be replaced from another Toyota model around this year or is it unique to the van? If it is i imagine its impossible to find. This quartz movement appears to be broken, the clock works but doesn't keep time. I love that the dash clock is next to the speedo and that its analog, but replacing/fixing it is something I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has done this or knows anything about it. Thanks guys!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: Quartz analog dash clock has a broken movement

i have the dash apart currently so i pulled the cluster out and looked at the clock. i dont really know what im looking for, but everything in it appears to intact. it just does not keep time however. it tick tocks and the second hand moves but the hour and minute hands stay still. maybe a jeweler could fix it? i haven't been able to find a part number. even toyota parts catalogs dont have it - only the digital clock comes up...

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Hey guys, update on this. I managed to fix the clock! Let it go the last 4 hours to check that its keeping time and it works to the minute so far!

i also purchased these LED's from superbrightleds.com and replaced all the instrument cluster bulbs with the LEDs. The black and green caps you see simply twist off. These bulbs are perfect for dash lights because its a single led and they arent much brighter than the stock ones. usually LED bulbs for this application are way too bright.
    Name:  Screenshot 2016-10-12 17.33.11.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  81.2 KB

Anyway, back to the clock...

Take apart the dash according to this excellent write-up by skyflyer9 and unplug the instrument cluster harnesses. the brown plug powers the clock. you can see the pins on the circuit board labeled "CLO+" and "CLO-" which power the clock.
    Name:  IMG_3364.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3363.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  82.3 KB

bring the cluster to your sitting workstation. remove the clock knob by unscrewing the small screw on the crown, pull of the knob, and pull of the black sleeve on the shaft. the clear cover can't be removed with this knob in the way.
    Name:  IMG_3356.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  80.3 KB

push in the tabs all around the cluster to remove the clear plastic cover and the black piece below that. i wiped down both sides of the clear cover and removed a very fine film of dust that had collected over the years. The clock is removed by unscrewing these two screws (in the photo below) on the back of the cluster.
    Name:  IMG_3357.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  95.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3355.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  91.3 KB

pull the clock out, i did it by slowly tilting the cluster upside down and letting it sort of slide out. if you pull it out from the top the clock housing wants to fall apart on its way out sending all the little cogs all over. you can see in the picture below the seam where it comes in two.
    Name:  IMG_3358.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  96.5 KB

this was the broken part. it should have a little stem coming out of the bottom of that cog. i drilled a hole in it for the fix - thats the next step. no idea how this came to be broken in the first place!
    Name:  IMG_3360.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  92.5 KB

(left arrow) so i used a 1/16" drill bit and drilled a hole in the center of it. I then used a #17 wire brad that was the perfect size for the pilot hole (right arrow). i snipped it to size with some cutting pliers, filed both ends where i snipped it so they were flat, and inserted it in the cog (or in the hole on the assembly - either way works) in order for the clock to go back together, the cog has to be in the position seen in the first photo below, otherwise you can't put it back together. those 2 little gears in the second photo will block it on its way back in so you have to kinda jimmy the bigger wheel around those. in the lower left of the first photo that little spine in the middle of the wheel has to line up with the hole in the metal right in the center of the assembly. the new wire brad and part you fixed will have to line up as well. i had to use a paper clip with one hand while putting it back together to sort of push everything around and get it to line up and snap into place. CAREFUL! once you get it back together squeeze it together so you dont accidentally have it fall apart and have to do it all over again.
    Name:  IMG_3359.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  90.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3361.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  92.1 KB

here it is all put together. make sure to squeeze the assembly together so it doesnt fall apart on you. i inserted it back into the instrument cluster upside down to prevent this and mounted it back on with the screws. make sure the housing when everything is back together is completely closed otherwise the time adjustment knob pushes those two tiny gears up and time adjustment stops working.
    Name:  IMG_3362.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by spacecruisers; 10-13-2016 at 02:21 AM.

My Van(s):
    (2) 86 2WD auto LE's (Daily driver has 335k+miles) (1) 87 4WD auto Conversion (90k orig miles) (1) 87 4WD auto LE (1) 88 2WD auto LE (1) 89 4WD auto Conversion (1) 89 4WD auto LE... Still lookin

The old analog clocks supposedly adjusted their rate by your adjustment of the time... I would guess based on a 24hr period. If the unit is "running fast" and you set the time back, it somehow adjusted the rate of the unit... it slowed a little. If it was extremely off, it may require your intervention for several days.

Of course, the same is true if the clock is "running slow".

I have had a few automotive analog clocks, not only in TV's, that this procedure has convinced me that it works. Give it some time before you pronounce it and toe tag it.

From what I remember, unfortunately... you have to go through the teaching of the clock whenever power is lost... ie dead battery.

-Jim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    The old analog clocks supposedly adjusted their rate by your adjustment of the time... I would guess based on a 24hr period. If the unit is "running fast" and you set the time back, it somehow adjusted the rate of the unit... it slowed a little. If it was extremely off, it may require your intervention for several days.

Of course, the same is true if the clock is "running slow".

I have had a few automotive analog clocks, not only in TV's, that this procedure has convinced me that it works. Give it some time before you pronounce it and toe tag it.

From what I remember, unfortunately... you have to go through the teaching of the clock whenever power is lost... ie dead battery.

-Jim

interesting! i didn't know that and have no idea how that would work - maybe thats part of the electronics in that circuit board. ill keep my eye on it and adjust as necessary. thanks for the tip. if it goes slow or fast over the next little bit i'll know that it might just be "learning"