Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Brake Pads

My Van(s):
    1988 panel truck stick shift\ 1993 previa

Re: Front Brake Pads

I would love it if mine were to the left of center.
    I think I don't trust my gauges though, the gas gauge is off most of the time....
    I believe it's time to put a real gauge on it and see what the heck is really going on. I already removed all the AC stuff, new hoses from Gates, fan clutch is doing it's job, thermostat seem s to be opening, new cap,etc
    Tired of throwing money and time at the issue. It gets such good mileage I want to drive it more.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86' Cargo Van ATM

What is cylinder installation bolt size???

Here I was all set to replace my front disc pads and I no sooner jack up the van before I ran into a roadblock! Is it a 12mm bolt or 7/16 SAE? I feel like a real dummy on this one!!! Thanks.

Gary

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Re: What is cylinder installation bolt size???

I'm a little fuzzy on your question. Could you elaborate? I'm not familiar with 2WD, if it is any different, but on 4WD, the 2 bolts that hold the pad carriage on have 17mm heads, if I recall, which should make them 10mm or 12mm, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure why it matters, but I can't imagine there being an SAE bolt on a Toyota. What is the "road-block"?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86' Cargo Van ATM

Sorry skibum,

I guess it's just a case of sanding/filing down the bolt head to allow for a 12mm socket. This thread was stupid to begin with and I'm sorry anyone bothered to read it!

Gary

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Toyota typically only uses the following metric bolt head sizes: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm & 19mm. There are others when dealing with extremely small or extremely large fasteners, but 98% of the bolt heads are in this range. That being said brakes can be an exception. This is due to the fact brakes need semi-regular maintenance & parts are often purchased aftermarket and/or factory bolts replaced with non-factory ones. As a result, it's not terribly uncommon to find 13mm bolt heads for mounting calipers. I've seen it more than once. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by glohworm View Post
    Sorry skibum,

I guess it's just a case of sanding/filing down the bolt head to allow for a 12mm socket. This thread was stupid to begin with and I'm sorry anyone bothered to read it!

Gary
    No problem, Gary, that's what a forum is all about . I was unclear, and needed more info to offer aid. Better to not need help and have it available that not have it available and need it! Glad you got it figured out.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Should I get the shim kit and spring kit if I'm getting loaded calipers? Or do they come with them? From Rockauto for 4wd.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You don't need to, you can just install and run as-is. I'm a bit of a stickler though when it comes to pads and will only run OEM Toyota ones. If I get fully loaded calipers, I'll usually remove the AM pads and put in the Toyota ones. Last couple times I did this the "shim kit" was actually like cardboard with adhesive glued right to the AM pads. I used the fit kit that came with the calipers, but I ended up using a metal shim kit that I purchased separately. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Thank You