Thread: Head light 'relay / switch' burnt at fuse box

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Head light 'relay / switch' burnt at fuse box

Hello

trying to get my head lights back on. At the fuse box where the relay plugs in is melted. When I'm driving at night I can get the lights working sometimes by jiggling the relay but it gets dangerously hot with the lights on for a couple hours. I just removed the glove box and got a look behind the fuse box. I was hoping to be able to unplug 'something' and pull the fuse box out for a closer look. It appears that is not an option. Mayb an after market job has already been done back there. The wires are pretty tight not leaving much play for inspecting the fuse panel and the wires are wrapped all together with electric tape. Any advice on where to start to fix my problem? 87 4x4 5spd

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  18.0 KB
    Last edited by ingmire; 09-08-2016 at 02:07 PM.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Head light 'relay / switch' burnt at fuse box

Yikes!!! That doesn't look good, but you might be in luck cause I have a spare one from a 87' 2wd auto. I'm not sure if they are the same??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):

Just looked for a part number on the fuse box but didn't see it but here's a picture of the headlight and taillight relay part numbers.... This is my other fuse box that has all the relays intact.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks! But I'm assuming there is an issue beyond the fuse box that's causing this 'melt down'? What do you guys think

My Van(s):

You have some wire tracing to do which is always a pain trying to figure out. On the back of the fuse box you find the pigtail wire (hopefully it's not toast too) it's connected to and then you'll have to work your way back to the (I think) headlight relay box (blue box) or you can just go the the relay box which is located above your left knee behind the dash and see if that's burnt up too or has been tampered with.

Take this with a grain of salt cause I may totally be out in left field. But do type in the search feature some of the key words- headlight switch, headlight relay, and see what'll come up?

A few members have covered headlight issues and Timsrv has a few very informative threads regarding this issue but not sure if there's one that's so unique as yours???

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd

Mine was burnt out just like this when I got the van. Just had to wire in a new relay around the fouled plug.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I am just getting back to addressing my headlight problem. Terrence can you describe what you mean by 'wire in a new relay'. How do I do that?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

My 85 has had 2 life threatening issues at the fuse box, one at the headlight connection and one with the wiper relay, which caused the fuse panel to smoke and glow red. Creative work with wiring and new connectors has the van still on the road at 233k. I believe that old age causes a bit of corrosion, which results in increased resistance and plenty of heat.30 years is good life for this wiring.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

so my last item (there have been a lot) preventing inspection pass is my hi-beam & side headlights...so close but soooo far.

Low beams and fogs always work fine.
    one side marker was working last week but now BOTH side marker lights don't come on (no power to either bulb socket)
    Hi beams rarely come on (1/100) and when toggled to hi beam the lo beams and fogs totally go out.

Fuses are all fine.

So my question is do I go straight for the relay box or am I chasing grounds?

If ground then I am confused because some of the threads (I have spent hours deciphering the threads trying to align with my symptoms) refer to the block under the steering column for lights but I think I need the one above the fuse box on passenger side (?)

If relay box then do I just remove glove box and yank on those old crusty silver tube looking things until they pop out and check for burnt/corrosion. Thinking that could make it worse before it gets better - but how else to see if they are burnt (?).

ALSO - am I supposed to disconnect the battery cables (negative only?) prior to messing around with any of this stuff or is it ok to just pick and pull/reground wires at will?

'88 4wd manual
    Last edited by cpginkpt; 04-04-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

think I found it...steering column madness.

Looks like the previous owner already had a go at this, but it fried again.

Before I rewire do folks recommend throwing an in line fuse for this common "trouble spot"?