Thread: Seaching for a 4YE

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd manual 87 4wd manual 87 4wd auto 87 4wd auto

new engine

what is the best source for a new engine 4ye 2.2?

or is rebuilding a better option?

i have 4 vans two with bad engines.

i am just wondering the price difference between crate engine and full rebuild.

the going rate on a complete is 2000 to 2500 in the research i've done.

however i do have a shop and an engine stand and could pull apart engine and sub out honing, machining, etc.

the main problem is i do not have the resources to pull engine out from bottom or put back in.

i talked to the closest shop about dropin the engine and tran for me, if i did all the dirty work( as much as possible to where van could still be towed). they quoted me $400, but said that front axle had to come out and it would be immobilized.

main question, what is most efficient labor/parts way to put new engine in a van?

new engine pay a shop to swap

or

drop, rebuild, put back in, then reinstall

any input appreciated

thanks steve

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: new engine

I always pull the passenger door off & use a cherry picker. The engine will fit out through the passenger door. Might also fit up over the hump and through the sliding door, but I've never tried it that way (probably wouldn't if the van had rear AC).

Here's a couple threads where passenger door method is shown:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...4y-engine-swap

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...eekend-project

Here's another thread where a member dropped an engine out underneath..........inside a salvage yard:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...swap-an-engine

That was a 2wd though. The only way I'd try it on a 4wd is if I were taking the transmission out with the engine. The worst part about pulling up through the passenger door is pulling the RF fender off (to access the door hinge bolts), but that isn't too bad. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Since new 4Y engines are not available, any engine you buy is going to have significant miles on it and of unknown quality. If one of mine goes down, its getting rebuilt. Besides, a rebuilt motor should have a couple extra HP after getting bored out, right?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, & I would have a problem trusting your "run of the mill" rebuild company. If you have the ability I would recommend having a performance oriented machine shop do the machine work, then assemble yourself. If you don't have the tools or ability to do yourself, I would pay the machinist to do it for you. I rebuilt mine last year & did a partial write-up in my blog. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I payed 120$ for a used cherry picker and pulled it out the passenger door side-leaving the door on. Took a little finageling but I got it out-cheaper than 400$ though. I couldn't figure how to get the door off in a timely manner-but from Tim's post now I know to pull off the passenger fender.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Seaching for a 4YE

I need a 4Y engine, did a Google and found this http://www.lowmileageparts.com/1987-...7112.aspx#desc price looks OK considering the free shipping, until I started to read the warranty policy! Every other word is basically an exclusion, If you are not covering gaskets and seals you are not covering ANYTHING! Something smell fishy. And there was this: http://www.engineandtransmissionworld.com/ , the warranty terms are even worst and after reading reviews on Google (not the website) it smell like the same fish oil! Any body here has any experience with these Lowlifes? Where would you look for a "trusty source" for an engine? and please spare me the Craigslist and eBay nightmares. Anybody here, sitting on one of them 4YE?... on the east coast?
    Would love to hear of other's experience, advice, on the particular subject.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    none

Re: Seaching for a 4YE

Rockauto lists rebuilt 4Ys: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....279784&jsn=386

Haven't gone so far as buying an engine from them, just spark plugs, oil filters, etc.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Re: Seaching for a 4YE

At over $ 1800.00 before shipping for a "reman." long block, it's a "little" over my budget, and I remember Tim saying somewhere here to beware of Remanufactured. I also found some brand new, in crates, completes engines for insane $$$ (forklift market). All I'm looking for is something honest: Here it is . It's 28 years old, xxxxxx miles, came of a 198x van, made or did not make noises, leaked or did not leaked such and such fluid. no warranty but it's not gonna cost more than twice what I paid for the van. Or warranty covers every thing even if damage due to failure of gasket or seal.
    One can dream! not?
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4 5sp Cargo

Jumping in here years later....

We're looking to replace/rebuild the engine in our 87 4x4. Sounds like buying a new is no longer an option.... Is that true?

If buying a new engine isn't possible, does anyone know of a reputable rebuilder in northern California? We're based out of Tahoe, but for someone with Toyota van experience we're willing to drive anywhere in the west. Obviously, we'd like to get it done right the first time.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

1987 Toyota Engine Replacement

Hello All,

I purchased a 1987 Toyota 4x4 Van Wagon Cargo, drove it a couple thousand miles, and the engine is done.

I could use some guidance on finding a new engine, the cost for the engine, and who could replace this in Colorado or a neighboring state.

Any information is great.

I'm trying to not just scrap the project, but there will be a dollar point at which that is the best move.

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad Reich

My Van(s):

Re: 1987 Toyota Engine Replacement

There is a place called "yota yard" in Denver, lady's name is Nancy 303 292 5078 I got some van parts from them before. It's a long shot but you never know. There was a couple 4YE's on Fleabay a couple weeks ago around $900.00 before ship but they usually go in a flash, take a look at your local Crooklist but be carefull. Check Row52.com . Most importantly: be patient, they are getting rare! Good luck.
    LG.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    I'm trying to not just scrap the project, but there will be a dollar point at which that is the best move.
    I know that feeling. When my buddy blew out the 22RE on my 4Runner it cost a little north of $2k to get the engine rebuilt and back up and running. I had some minor performance upgrades put in during the rebuild but I had briefly considered calling it a day and washing my hands of it, glad I didn't though. It's been in the family for years, and it should roll past 400k on the odometer in the next year!

To mirror what Caronized said, these things are getting rare, especially the 4x4 cargo vans. Your post didn't say if it was an automatic or manual van, but if it's a manual, it's almost definitely worth the time, labor, and money to get her back up and running.

If you can't get a replacement, I would see if there is someone locally that could rebuild it. Actually, unless your engine completely grenaded itself, I would prefer getting the one currently in the van rebuilt. If you go that route, you'll basically need to be able to pull/reinstall the engine yourself, otherwise, they'll charge you out the nose.

Good luck man!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I'm in agreement with AD2101 on rebuilding your engine versus buying an unknown condition engine for almost half what it would cost to rebuild yours. I bought one off ebay for 900$ that said no leaks or smoke and it was in worse condition than the one I was replacing-burned major oil and had a head gasket issue and needed a complete rebuild and oversize bore.

My Van(s):

Totally agree with the "rebuild your own" route. But I remember seeing some issues with that too from members on this forum (untrustworthy mechanics/ engine builders). If you do the whole work yourself or outsource only parts of it, you add the satisfaction and peace of mind of knowing what's in there. Ether way the key is in the research you put in before the build :
    #1: read the Bible:http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/e...Rebuild-part-1 . There is 12 parts to it! do not miss one, it is all important.
    If I was to use a builder, I would print it, then go see the builder, dump it on his desk and ask if he can match that quality of work? If any doubt walk away. If I go with him, at least he ,now, knows that I have done my home work! And I want to stay in the loop! I am going to ask questions and keep checking on him, maybe find some parts for him, work issues with him, I am going to be nice but I'm going to keep an eye (wide open) on the project.
    It is going to be the beginning of a beautiful relationship
    LG.