Thread: Dash pot question

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Dash pot question

Hi Tim, do you happen to know what the plastic cap does on the dash pot? Is it supposed to let in air, or can I seal off the hole if I am missing mine?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Dash pot question

The dash pot's job is to delay throttle return to idle. If it fails to do that for any reason, or if it prevents return to idle, then it's toast. If that's the case, then take it off and see how far you can throw it. Having a messed up dash pot is worse than not having one at all. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The dash pot's job is to delay throttle return to idle. If it fails to do that for any reason, or if it prevents return to idle, then it's toast. If that's the case, then take it off and see how far you can throw it. Having a messed up dash pot is worse than not having one at all. Tim
    The small circular cap to the dash pot is missing, exposing the sponge like filter, can I replace this with anything that you're aware of?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sure, if you can find a used one. I suspect other Toyotas from around that era will have similar dash pots??? If I needed one I'd scout a few local yards. Perhaps you can find a pill bottle cap or something??? Whatever you use, keep in mind it needs to breath, so if it doesn't have a hole, put one in whatever you use. Tim