Thread: Largest 'all-terrain' tire size on a stock Previa AWD without modifications

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE All-trac

Largest 'all-terrain' tire size on a stock Previa AWD without modifications

According to Zen's website detailing Previa Tire & Wheel options (see http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaTiresAndWheels.htm), it appears that the "new" BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 (not the original KO's!) in the LT215/75r15 size will actually fit, compared to the original BFG All Terrain KO in the LT215/75r15 size, which would rub on the front spring perch. According to Zen's website, to get the original BFG KO's to work you would have to let it self-clear (i.e. rub off the tread), or you had to use a hammer to pound the spring perch out of the way, or get coil-overs.

Original BFG All Terrain T/A KO in the LT215/75/r15 tire diameter = 27.8 inches
    New BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 in the LT215/75/r15 tire diameter = 27.6 inches

I'm thinking the 0.2 inch decrease in tire diameter, as well as modified tread pattern, may allow these new BFG's to work!

I wanted to see if anyone had tried the newer BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 in the 215/75/r15 size and it actually works without rubbing, etc.? Zen's website has the quick blurb about the new BFG's, however whoever wrote this used a different wheel (i.e. Pacer Modular Wheel).

Brand new BFG AT2 215/75/15 fit on 83B-5614 15x6 5x4.25/5x4.5 +41 Pacer Black Modular Wheels

These just clear stock front shocks with zero rub and minimal spare clearance under the front strut.

Can anyone corroborate this?
    1993 Previa LE All-trac (AWD) - SOLD

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 prev awd

Re: Largest 'all-terrain' tire size on a stock Previa AWD without modifications

Quote Originally Posted by 93_Previa View Post
    According to Zen's website detailing Previa Tire & Wheel options (see http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaTiresAndWheels.htm), it appears that the "new" BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 (not the original KO's!) in the LT215/75r15 size will actually fit, compared to the original BFG All Terrain KO in the LT215/75r15 size, which would rub on the front spring perch. According to Zen's website, to get the original BFG KO's to work you would have to let it self-clear (i.e. rub off the tread), or you had to use a hammer to pound the spring perch out of the way, or get coil-overs.

Original BFG All Terrain T/A KO in the LT215/75/r15 tire diameter = 27.8 inches
    New BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 in the LT215/75/r15 tire diameter = 27.6 inches

I'm thinking the 0.2 inch decrease in tire diameter, as well as modified tread pattern, may allow these new BFG's to work!

I wanted to see if anyone had tried the newer BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 in the 215/75/r15 size and it actually works without rubbing, etc.? Zen's website has the quick blurb about the new BFG's, however whoever wrote this used a different wheel (i.e. Pacer Modular Wheel).

Brand new BFG AT2 215/75/15 fit on 83B-5614 15x6 5x4.25/5x4.5 +41 Pacer Black Modular Wheels

These just clear stock front shocks with zero rub and minimal spare clearance under the front strut.

Can anyone corroborate this?
    I'm driving a 1991 previa all trac. I went up to a 16" wheel and got some 215-65-16 Yokohama Geolanders on my prev. I put 16" mustang 5 spoke wheels on my van. They have a slightly different offset. I think my prev is supposed to be an offset of +50, and the stang wheels are +39. They are flush with the outside of the fender.

My tires rub on the inside of my fender. They rub on the plastic when i turn to park. They'll also rub once in a while if i'm cruising down the freeway on a banked turn and i hit a bump.

My van hasn't been lifted yet. I've got all of the parts to do it, but I haven't had any luck getting it to my friend's shop to install it.

I wouldn't go any bigger than what I have. I noticed a difference in power just in my slight jump up in size. I also don't get good mileage either. I was getting better mpg when I had normal sized tires on. This is my daily driver, so mpg is a slight issue.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE All-trac

Thanks Leppah! It helps to have some sort of frame of reference for this with a specific example like what you've provided. I looked up the 215/65/r16 Yokohama Geolanders and it looks like they have an overall tire diameter of 27 inches.

According to Zen's website, the stock offset, in millimeters, for the Previas was around +42mm. We'd be using our stock steel rims (15 inch, not 16 inch) with larger tires...but from what you've pointed out, unless the offset difference of 3 mm (0.11 inches) makes that much of a difference it looks like we'd get some rub no matter what. Doh!

It's looking like we may go for the General Grabber AT2 at the 205/75/r15 size (tire diameter = 27.1 inches), which still get us an off-road worthy tire, without the rubbing issue (according to Zen's website that I reference earlier).

Again, thanks for the example!!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 prev awd

Thanks Leppah! It helps to have some sort of frame of reference for this with a specific example like what you've provided. I looked up the 215/65/r16 Yokohama Geolanders and it looks like they have an overall tire diameter of 27 inches.

According to Zen's website, the stock offset, in millimeters, for the Previas was around +42mm. We'd be using our stock steel rims (15 inch, not 16 inch) with larger tires...but from what you've pointed out, unless the offset difference of 3 mm (0.11 inches) makes that much of a difference it looks like we'd get some rub no matter what. Doh!

It's looking like we may go for the General Grabber AT2 at the 205/75/r15 size (tire diameter = 27.1 inches), which still get us an off-road worthy tire, without the rubbing issue (according to Zen's website that I reference earlier).

When I say that mine rub, they only rub at almost full lock on the plastic piece inside the fender that's bolted to the actual fender. It's not much rub, but it sure sounds like it is. I just trimmed it up and it took care of that issue. You should be ok going with your tire size and stock wheels.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Previa All-Trac S/C

Hey 93_Previa, how did the tire install go? Are you getting any rubbing or other issues with the General Grabber AT2 at the 205/75/r15?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE All-trac

Hi laggle,

Unfortunately we never upgraded our tires and have since sold our 93 Previa, so I can't comment on anything but our stock tire size when we owned the vehicle. Hopefully you find an all-terrain tire that works for you!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 previa

I just wanted to chime in here. I just put new General Grabber AT2 in the 205/75/r15 size on my 95 previa. They are super wonderful, way more confident on rocky roads. Slightly higher clearence to protect my oil pan. I too read that these would fit, but was skeptical untill they were on the van. The fit seems to be as big as you can get. I only have rubbing on the plastic rain guards, only when turning hard in a parking lot and it is minimal. Really a non issue. My van is stock with no mods. The tires are so nice. Cheers!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Some photos of two different tires mounted on the stock front wheels of my 91. The stock offset, BTW, is +50mm.

Left front is 205/75r15 (pretty worn down tread on the edges). Right front is 215/70r15 (about half worn)

205/75r15 spring perch clearance...
    DSCN3445.jpg

215/70r15 spring perch clearance...
    DSCN3448.jpg

205/75r15 sway bar clearance on full lock wheel turn out...
    DSCN3451.jpg

215/70r15 sway bar clearance on full lock turn out... yikes.
    DSCN3450.jpg

205/75r15 frame clearance on full luck turn in (not a good shot of this, the photo of the 215 is a better angle)...
    DSCN3449.jpg

215/70r15 frame clearance on full lock turn in...
    DSCN3452.jpg

There is no rubbing on either tire, but the 215/70 is a bit close for comfort on both full lock positions, and different manufacturers tires may not work so well. Perch clearance is fine on both. Personally, I think the 205/75r15 is a better option - marginally bigger diameter and more clearance on lock.
    These photos are all static loading situations. Actual driving with bumps and cornering may cause interference, and I've not had them on long enough to find out. I will update after I've got some miles done.

This is a good site for comparing tire sizes... https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    This is a good one for wheels... https://www.wheel-size.com/
    Last edited by Jonny; 04-19-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

I run 235/55/r17(Nissan 350z wheels) with a 27.2' diameter and 9.3 inch width. There is slight rubbing on turns and knocks over speed bumps at a faster speed then normal.
    This one time it bowed the fender out slight bit where the door wouldnt open... just pounded it in with the base of my fist and it inched back in.

QddEyx0.jpg

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

The offset of those Nissan wheels looks to be smaller than the Previa. Previa rim offset is 50mm, the 17" wheels of the 350Z I looked up are 30mm. Smaller offset means wheels stick out further by the offset difference, all other things being equal. Look out, wheel arch.
    The 205/75r15 on a previa rim really does give a good increase in size without any rubbing (at least I have never had any), and people looking for a bigger tire without other related problems will be happy. Maybe if you're doing high speed doughnuts in a parking lot, like we do, and you hit a pot hole at the same time you might have a problem. This tire represents a diameter of 27.1" and a width of 8.1". Start going larger in either direction and you chance having more interference. Go larger in both directions and you're very likely to have significant interference in some certain situations.

I noticed on the wheel size site I linked to earlier that the '04 - '10 Sienna has a 16 inch wheel with the correct offset, center bore and bolt pattern and comes stock with a 215/65R16 tire (27"d, 8.5"w) which seem like they might work OK. Has anyone tried these?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

I had it weighed down by a lot of wood this one time... luckily the tires sticking out havent hit the arches yet.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

That's good to know.
    There are quite a few other wheel options with a 60.1mm center bore but a 45mm offset. Our 50 seems to be about as big as it gets. Maybe a *small* decrease in offset is OK on a larger tire/wheel set-up since the interference points seem more likely to be the ones on the inside?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa LE

I guess I rarely turn the wheels close to its maximum to hear a tire tread on metal sound when parking (should be worse if its weighed down)... although initially I think it was the drivers side plastic, inside the wheel well, that caught it and pried it up... I just used hedge clippers to cut off a small two fingers piece size to fix it.