Thread: Motor for ice maker

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Le 2WD automatic, 1988 Toyota 4WD cargo conversion, 2000 Honda Odyssey

Motor for ice maker

I have started using the ice maker in my '88 Le and I am reminded it is living on borrowed time with about 1/8" left on the brushes for the fan motor inside. This motor is Toyota 8710487008 which has long been discontinued. All that is wrong with my existing motor is worn out brushes. Does anyone know where replacement brushes can be purchased and what size? It is easy to replace the brushes in this motor if you can find them. Or a spare motor? The ice maker is easy to service except for the fact you have to drain the refrigerant to get inside of it...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Motor for ice maker

I'm not sure about the possibilities here, but when the heater fan went out on my wife's Tercel I took a used RV water pump apart, and fitted the brushes from that into her fan motor. They were originally too big, but I laid a big mill file down on the bench and slowly/carefully moved the brushes back and forth, flipping as required, until I had the shape and size I wanted (brushes are soft and easy to shape). That fan was still working fine 5 years later when we sold the car.

Perhaps you could go to a hardware store that carries a big selection of brushes. Purchase the set that most closely resembles the ones you need and do the same thing. Who knows, you might get lucky and find the right ones. I wish I had an easier solution but that's all I got. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Le 2WD automatic, 1988 Toyota 4WD cargo conversion, 2000 Honda Odyssey

Yes, brushes are made from a form of graphite like the lead in a pencil so they can be shaped easily. I think I will save this approach for when the motor finally dies since it is such a pain to drain the refrigerant to get the motor out. I was hoping some Toyota user figured this out before-- it would be sweet to just drop in the proper brushes! I did notice this motor is remarkably similar to a sewing machine type of motor that is sold by Graingers except the mounting is much different.... maybe the brushes would work since the frame size is identical.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 auto 4wd

I have an ice maker I'm not going to use because I've given up on my A/C. So if you need something maybe tell me how to get it out and I can send it to you.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

I would love to buy that icemaker from you. I will send you a PM with my direct email address, etc. Mike