Thread: 87 4WD stalling when climbung hills

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Vanwagon 4WD automatic

87 4WD stalling when climbung hills

Hi all,

Interesting problem happened with the van on a camping trip in the mountains east of San Diego last week. The van drove really well on the freeway headed out and was actually running well initially as we started to climb into the hills. There were a couple cars behind me and I pulled over to let them pass, the van stalled immediately after I pulled over. No sensor lights came on, and the engine temp looked normal during the drive. It started back up without much trouble, just needed a little extra gas, and we were running well again until I came to a stop sign. When I stopped the engine cut out again. I was able to limp into the camp site, and two days later drove home without any issues.
    I don't really notice any problems when I drive around locally, and the engine runs well on the freeway, just had the problem when going uphill. I don't think I ever reached over 4000 feet, so not a significant altitude change. I was wondering if vapor lock was an issue, but at does that occur at lower altitudes?
    I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have regarding trouble shooting. Thanks in advance.

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Re: 87 4WD stalling when climbung hills

First thing I was thinking of is crud build up in the fuel filter. Had very much the same symptoms when driving down the grapevine (I5) and my 4wd Tercel stalled. Pulled over waited a second started again and it was fine for a few more miles then did the same thing. Car did this once more before I got to the pass then all was fine back to San Diego. My dad told me what it likely was; I replaced it no more problems. Hope that helps 👍
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Vanwagon 4WD automatic

Re: 87 4WD stalling when climbung hills

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    First thing I was thinking of is crud build up in the fuel filter. Had very much the same symptoms when driving down the grapevine (I5) and my 4wd Tercel stalled. Pulled over waited a second started again and it was fine for a few more miles then did the same thing. Car did this once more before I got to the pass then all was fine back to San Diego. My dad told me what it likely was; I replaced it no more problems. Hope that helps 👍

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the filter and let you know.
    I also need to take the van in for smog check this month, so I have that to look forward to.