Thread: Pasting from other sites

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Pasting from other sites

Tim, I've tried to find any terms of use info both here and at TVP regarding rules for copying and pasting from or to other sites with no success. I was hoping with your potential knowledge of both sites you may be able to shed some light on whether or not this is frowned upon. I recently posted some useful links to TVP after which I was informed of issues for non registered users of TVP to be able to follow the links so I copied and pasted part of a post. I was about to do it again but thought I should check to see if I was breaking any rules first. Thanks in advance for your insight on this and everything you do for this site Tim.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Pasting from other sites

Thanks for asking. I have posted rules about this before, but don't mind rehashing as it's better than stepping on toes and/or creating legal issues. I'm of the opinion I can copy and paste anything written by me from one site to another (I have ownership to anything I write). That's about as far as it goes though. The only other way you could copy/paste from another site would be if you get permission from that site. In the case of TVP, there have been hard feelings and harsh things said, so I think it's unlikely their admin would give such permission.........but it never hurts to try. I like to think they have forgiven us for starting TVT (which pretty much killed activity there). The only other thing you could do is contact the original poster and ask them to copy/paste, but most of the worthwhile material there was posted several years ago and it may prove difficult contacting the OP.

If you have the time, you can always read the post there, then recreate the same basic message here, but it couldn't be structured the same (you'd need to mix things up a bit). When I do that (which is hardly ever), I'll usually read the other post once, then do my best recounting in my own words while reposting here. Nobody has a monopoly on ideas, but plagiarism is a problem. If it's similar enough for a person to read and not immediately differentiate between the posts, then it could still be considered plagiarism.......so be careful. If you're not sure about something, PM the message to me (before posting) and give me a link to the original post on the other site. Thank you for your efforts and all your previous contributions to TVT! Tim

PS: Here's a couple more posts on the subject:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...opyright-rules

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...g-links-on-TVT

Note: Our copyright rules are listed in the site rules "General Rules of Conduct" section 3 line e

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Pasting from other sites

Thanks for the links. That is exactly what I was trying to find. I finally got a chance to read them and have deleted the article I pasted per the rules.