Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So SAD -93 All Trac Front Axel preventing SAD shaft removal

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Re: So SAD -93 All Trac Front Axel preventing SAD shaft removal

Thanks for the response Tim.

Believe me, I have learned my lesson marking things next time, good learning experience I am sure I won't forget for the rest of my life.

Went to another driveline shop today, no jig that fits this setup to balance it. The nice guy there cleaned up the contact points with a wire brush, and removed some rust, so that may help a tiny bit in lining things up again. I am going to retry the install tonight. Maybe I screwed up the alignment somehow last time. If it still vibrates again after this install, I think I will lean towards just buying a whole new shaft. Was looking at the ones on ebay for $350-500 bucks. Anyone have experience with those or care pointing me in the right direction, if I end up going the route of whole new shaft?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If I had that kind of money wrapped up in a balancing machine, I'd at least have an old lathe and an old Bridgeport (or similar). They're easy to find and very reasonably priced. With just those 2 things (or like what pdgizwiz has) you could make and/or adapt any imaginable fixture. Just makes sense to maximize your abilities. Within a few years people would be coming from miles around for those tougher/more challenging jobs. I can see ignoring that side of the business if you're simply too busy, but most drive line shops I've visited the guys are usually sitting around waiting for a customer. To me, being in business is all about being top in your field. If you never turn down a job, before you know it you'll have all the special holders/fixtures and customers are lining up. The mindset of these places have changed tremendously over the past 30 years. I guess that means I'm turning into an old fart....."back in my day.........." . Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Thank you everyone for your input. I got everything ripped apart completely, and then put back together today, and no more vibrations! Such a great feeling!

This time, I took my time. Last time, I was excited to have gotten that far on my own, I got a little carried away and rushed.

There are some possible issues I noticed that may have caused caused the vibrations. I think I put the number 2 drive housing insulator on backwards last time, rotated it 180 degrees to the correct position this time. Also, not sure if the engine side of the shaft went completely back snug where it was supposed to last time, made sure this time though. I also noticed some extra rubber on the metal 12mm sleeves, not showing bare metal, so I scraped it off, and think things may have lined up better from that, not so sure though, as I would guess the rubber would compress with the tightening of the nuts and bolts, but who knows. Also removed the rust from the contact points on the shaft and on the engine and aux. housing area.

Those are just some ideas, it could have also been something else, seeing as though I redid the whole job, so who knows.

Again, much appreciation to you guys for the insights, could not have done it without you.

My Van(s):
    Current: 1992 Previa Previous: 84 deluxe Vanwagon, 88 cargo Vanwagen, 91 dx manual Previa, 92 AllTrac Previa, 93 Dual Sunroof Previa

Glad to hear you had success.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 5spd

Good to hear doing this job isn't hopeless without persistence. I plan to upgrade my 12mm to 14mm in the coming years. I am worried about messing it up, but if I do, it's nice to know try try again is maybe all I'll need.

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

Whew! A good feeling indeed!
    I guess this is a case of where "the devil's in the details".

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    93 previa

The couplings have finally gone bad and causing vibration on my 93 Previa SADS.... 360,000 miles approx with 80,000 on the low mileage motor shipped from Japan. Any new input on the aftermarket couplings? A1 cardone vis parts geek does a complete for around 400.00
    Thanks !!