Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So SAD -93 All Trac Front Axel preventing SAD shaft removal

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 Awd Toyota previa W/O S.C

Re: So SAD -93 All Trac Front Axel preventing SAD shaft removal

Hello and i hope this tread is still active...i have a 94 AWD previa and i bought the coupling replacement kit, but i assume my previa has 14 mm holes in the coupling but descovered it is the old 12 mm, the question is if i can simply resize the holes from 12 mm to 14 mm or it will not work?
    thanks for any help on that
    Avishay

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

I believe that it would work IF you had a way to do it accurately. I can't see doing it with a hand drill or a rat-tail file.
    Better to find a '95 or newer shaft, or source a pair of the old 12mm couplers.
    The Febest # for the older ones is TDS-428.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Hello and i hope this tread is still active...
    Yes! Thank you for posting here (rather than starting a new thread). This helps keep the site organized.

It would be possible to resize the shaft holes, but that would require precision locating and sizing. There's also a precision depth requirement that would be difficult to achieve without the proper equipment (it's a job for a machine shop). If your old shaft were the last one known in existence, I could see it, but these shafts have not yet become rare. Perhaps they will be in a few years, but currently there are a lot of Previas with the bigger hole size shafts in the salvage yards. You could probably get one on eBay, but then you have to wonder how it was treated during removal and shipping. There's also the chance they won't send the complete shaft (you'll need the parts that bolt to both sides of the couplers). Personally I'd rather go to a pick-n-pull, find a good looking one, and remove myself (also good training for working on yours). Of course there's always the option of going with your existing shaft and using the aftermarket couplers. I've done that, but in hindsight I wish I would have gone the other way. I've since picked up a salvage yard shaft (with the bigger holes) and have it sitting here as a spare. Tim

My Van(s):
    92 previa

I Recieved a set of Febest TDS-428 for my 1992 shaft and they look really good. All 12mm inserts, no variances and the rubber feels really good. I was going to get a newer shaft off a 95 since that 95 is in the Boneyard awaiting the crusher and replace with the newer febest couplers, but I figured since my original 92 shaft was still working and the couplers are still doing great, (just a slight vibration in drive while foot on the brake, that I'd go ahead get a couple TDS-428 for later on while they are clearance priced and readily availiable. I replaced the factory installed ones on my 92 about 10 years ago but I dont recall them being made in China, however, they were more than $18 each! If I recall correctly, they were from Germany. All this China made merchandise is everywhere nowadays!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Van(s):

That's great - are the bolt sleeves exactly 12mm? The OEM sleeves from the battered coupling I removed from an early SADS are 12.00mm. The smaller of the sleeves on the Febest couplings I got were 12.5 or so. Also, the stock ones have a .5mm chamfer on the end, and the Febest part's sleeves don't.

I bought a pair of similar couplings on ebay three or four years ago that I rebuilt an early shaft with, and they worked fine. I don't remember if there was a brand name on them at all though. Guess I got lucky.

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Theres definitely a bevel on each insert. All measure 12mm. Both couplers look great. Hopefully I wont need these for a while. When I do, well lets hope they fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Van(s):

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to refer to the chamfer on the OD of the sleeve. I'l guess it's to help with assembly, since the counterbore in the shaft components is a little smaller than the sleeve. I can't think of a reason to put a chamfer on the ID. Here's an OEM 12mm sleeve:

12mmSADS_bolt-sleeve_OEM.jpg

Here's a closeup of my Febest 14mm sleeve, which looks rather like yours, with a chamfer on the ID:

14mmSADS_bolt-sleeve_Febest.jpg

I don't have an OEM 14mm to look at, until I take the SADS off my '97. That's not gonna happen for a while.

I perused ebay and there are quite a few of these things posted for sale now, running around $60 /pair.
    Most are clearly posted as either '91 - '94 or '95 - '97. Many now list the critical diameter in the description, some in the title, but there's not much in the way of consistency regarding the 12mm number. This one says 12.5. At least one says 12.1 .

Could be there are outfits buying the rubber bits from Febest and doing the assembly. The main aluminum part varies, too. Some are clearly machined, like the OEM units. Some look like they've been sandblasted. In my pair from Febest I got one of each. I can only guess how they source these parts... Very strange...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Hello all.

I recently purchased a 1991 Toyota Previa with 137K miles. Heading out for a 4 month road trip in it this summer. Decided to attempt the SADS replacement before I leave, so I bought the $60 replacement bushings on ebay, and got started.

First thing I would mention to others, don't remove the oil and oil filter. I didn't need to, and got the shaft out fine without the oil filter being removed. Obviously, others have found it helpful, so your mileage may vary, I just did not find it necessary in my case.

I did remove the radiator, and I did find that to be very helpful.

This job was not too bad, it did take me many hours, but a good project for a DIY mechanic, in my opinion.

I replaced the SADS, and got everything put back together, started the beautiful old van back up, and had horrible, bone shaking vibrations. Immediately turned off the van, and tried it again. Same thing - horrible vibrations. Worth mentioning here - prior to replacing the SADS, there was not any noticeable vibrations. I replaced them because I am about to live and camp out of the van for the summer, so I thought it couldn't hurt to replace them. They were also all cracked upon my inspection prior to replacement.

Today, I am attempting to troubleshoot and figure out what is the cause of the issue. I jacked up the van, and had my friend start the van while I peeked underneath to try and see what the issue is. The whole accessory parts unit is vibrating horribly, the alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor. Anyone know why this might be?

I checked all of the attachment bolts, and rechecked their tightness, and all seems to be fine. Also worth mentioning, for others attempting this job, and to help me troubleshoot, I made the mistake of not marking the shaft prior to removal. Stupid me, I know. With that being said, is that possibly the issue causing the vibrations, is the misalignment of the shaft? If it is as easy as that, then I guess I have to start all over, take it all back apart, and rotate the shaft 1 rotation, and hope for the best. It seems there are 3 possible ways to align the shaft, so I may need to redo this job 1-2 more times until I get it right, since I did not mark it.

Anyone have any input? Thanks for your help!

I guess the plus side of this whole mess is I will be very competent with the SADS job going forward, able to help others now.

My Van(s):

I do not believe that it is important to mark the location of the shaft with respect to the dampener on the front of the engine. What IS important is that you mark the relative locations of the three components of the shaft when the "revolvers" are removed. The shaft is balanced as a separate unit, and that's one reason that Toyota only offered entire shaft assemblies as replacement parts - they could assure that they were balanced that way.
    Did the bolt sleeves on the revolvers you purchased fit into the sockets of the shaft components? Did you note that one end of the bolt sleeves are longer than the other, and that the long end is what is to fit into the sockets?

My Van(s):
    Current: 1992 Previa Previous: 84 deluxe Vanwagon, 88 cargo Vanwagen, 91 dx manual Previa, 92 AllTrac Previa, 93 Dual Sunroof Previa

Yikes. I am about to undertake this repair, but in my case I already have vibrations in the accessory housing.

Never heard of of anyone getting more vibration afterward. I hope mine goes well.

And I'll be sure to matchmark all the parts before disassembly.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by pdgizwiz View Post
    I do not believe that it is important to mark the location of the shaft with respect to the dampener on the front of the engine. What IS important is that you mark the relative locations of the three components of the shaft when the "revolvers" are removed. The shaft is balanced as a separate unit, and that's one reason that Toyota only offered entire shaft assemblies as replacement parts - they could assure that they were balanced that way.
    Did the bolt sleeves on the revolvers you purchased fit into the sockets of the shaft components? Did you note that one end of the bolt sleeves are longer than the other, and that the long end is what is to fit into the sockets?

Thank you for the quick response. I have the shaft back out now, and inspected the revolver placement. It was correct, with the long ends fitting snuggly into where they should be.

Since I did not mark the locations of the 3 shaft parts upon initial removal, what would you recommend at this point? Take it to a driveline shop and have them check the balance? Then reposition at the shop if necessary? Seems easier than rotating the parts, putting everything back together on the van and hoping for the best, then possibly having to reposition once more, removing everything again, a few more hours of work?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 Awd Toyota previa W/O S.C

i must say that what you describe sounds more then just incorrect position, it could be it...but i would check everything around, look for loose pare freedom in bearings, make sure that the sleeves of the rubber bushing fit correctly inside the small groove in the drive shaft itself and in the corresponding part; -the drive shaft has 3 holes but there is a small notch i.e. the screws are the same screws for all models - 8 mm i think- but that small notch can be 12 mm or 14 mm make sure you have the right one and that the metal sleeve diameter correspond with the notch diameter.
    i am saying that because i have just did my sads but in my case the shaft itself was bent (and even so it didn't make the sounds you describe...- but anyhow i had to replace it, so i got one from a rack and just replaced it, so obviously i had no markings and so far it is OK. maybe i was just lucky...
    BTW in my case someone (previous owner) replaced the front end where the pulley fits with different type to i had 12 mm in one side and 14 on the other so i used the 12 mm sads and machined 3 small sleeves with inner diameter of 12 mm and outer diameter of 14 as an adapters.
    anyways good luck with it

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    i must say that what you describe sounds more then just incorrect position, it could be it...but i would check everything around, look for loose pare freedom in bearings, make sure that the sleeves of the rubber bushing fit correctly inside the small groove in the drive shaft itself and in the corresponding part; -the drive shaft has 3 holes but there is a small notch i.e. the screws are the same screws for all models - 8 mm i think- but that small notch can be 12 mm or 14 mm make sure you have the right one and that the metal sleeve diameter correspond with the notch diameter.
    i am saying that because i have just did my sads but in my case the shaft itself was bent (and even so it didn't make the sounds you describe...- but anyhow i had to replace it, so i got one from a rack and just replaced it, so obviously i had no markings and so far it is OK. maybe i was just lucky...
    BTW in my case someone (previous owner) replaced the front end where the pulley fits with different type to i had 12 mm in one side and 14 on the other so i used the 12 mm sads and machined 3 small sleeves with inner diameter of 12 mm and outer diameter of 14 as an adapters.
    anyways good luck with it
    Thanks for your input. I checked the dimensions of the sleeves and the holes in the driveline, both are 12mm.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 5spd

I am not sure of the shaft is interchangeable, but are you sure you didn't install it backwards? The thick side towards the engine and the thin side toward the accessories. When you reinstall it, make sure the angular offset isn't too high. There's an old thread about it on this forum. Checking the angle will help you verify it is installed correctly.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtanius21 View Post
    I am not sure of the shaft is interchangeable, but are you sure you didn't install it backwards? The thick side towards the engine and the thin side toward the accessories. When you reinstall it, make sure the angular offset isn't too high. There's an old thread about it on this forum. Checking the angle will help you verify it is installed correctly.
    Thanks for your reply. I double checked the shaft, and it was correct, thin side towards the front and thick in the back. Good thinking, as that never crossed my mind.

Edit - Also, I tried searching for the thread about angular offset, and it only brought up this thread we are currently in. Couldn't find it, anyone know which thread we are referring to?
    Last edited by Zskolb; 05-03-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Took the complete shaft, all 3 parts, and the revolvers into the driveline shop today. The guy there said they can't balance it because they don't have the jig for the balancing machine that will fit this old driveline setup the Previa has, and he doubted anywhere else in town will have it. I will search more tomorrow. I guess that is the price you pay for owning the beautiful Previa.

His suggestion was to mark the 3 parts, install, and hope for the best. Then if the vibrating continues, take it apart and rotate. Then rinse and repeat until I get it right. Wow, going to be a pro at this thing by the time I get it complete.

I will be all over the western US and Canada this summer, and I am willing to help anyone do the SADS repair if needed. Message me your location. Price is some dinner and beer, would love to help.

Thanks for the input, I will keep you updated.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by Zskolb View Post
    Edit - Also, I tried searching for the thread about angular offset, and it only brought up this thread we are currently in. Couldn't find it, anyone know which thread we are referring to?
    Post #34 on page two.
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...highlight=sads

My Van(s):
    Current: 1992 Previa Previous: 84 deluxe Vanwagon, 88 cargo Vanwagen, 91 dx manual Previa, 92 AllTrac Previa, 93 Dual Sunroof Previa

Quote Originally Posted by Zskolb View Post

His suggestion was to mark the 3 parts, install, and hope for the best. Then if the vibrating continues, take it apart and rotate. Then rinse and repeat until I get it right. Wow, going to be a pro at this thing by the time I get it complete.

I will be all over the western US and Canada this summer, and I am willing to help anyone do the SADS repair if needed. Message me your location. Price is some dinner and beer, would love to help.

Thanks for the input, I will keep you updated.
    There are nine different ways to assemble the shaft. This could be a long experiment.

Too bad you're not coming out east. I am looking at this job soon.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

I know, 9 different possibilities is a lot of time and energy. I will see tomorrow if there is a place that can balance it. If not, I think it may be easier to just buy a whole new complete shaft. So much for this DIY project saving money.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I too am not convinced your problem is 100% due to improper orientation (but stranger things have happened). Not to rub it in, but anytime there's multiple ways of assembling something, it's always a good idea to mark things before disassembling..........especially rotating assemblies (just saying). Tim