Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Upgrading to 15" rims

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota LiteAce 4x4 diesel JDM

Re: Upgrading to 15" rims

Oli,

I'm about a year late, but picking up where you left off. I'm a new owner of a JDM '91 LiteAce and am desperate to ditch the OEM 14" rims as they are beat all to hell (must've been quite the curb banger back in the day!)

I've been drawing out a bunch of various sizes of wheel and tire sizes to confirm that I can fit some meatier running gear before I go all in on the litf as well.

Has anyone run anything like these American Racing aftermarket Suzuki wheels?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...F7G8DU3K&psc=1

They are 15x7 with the correct lug pattern and hub bore, so that part is fine. They however have a -6mm offset which helps with the fit between wheel arch and the slider, just not sure what else to consider nor if the negative offset (20mm difference inboard from stock) is going to be a problem with brakes or suspension?

Anyone have any input on those particular rims?

I'm thinking of pairing them with 215 or 225/75R15's with 2" or so of lift (which I'm also scouring the board for actionable intel...)

Looking forward to joining the TOYOVan pack!

Mark

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Actually, designSTUDIO, a negative offset moves the outer lip of the rim outboard, (street side). check post #27 and #28 of this thread. Also there is a small difference between the US van and the JDM version. I' do not know if it is in the body work or the axle but JDMvanman could no fit the same set up (14x7 Supra) that I have on my van on his JDM Van. The rim got in the way of the sliding door.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota LiteAce 4x4 diesel JDM

UGHHHH this is precisely why I wanted to draw everything (multiple times obviously...) before going down any one path. Based on UPDATING said drawings, it looks like I'm still on a workable path (until shock and spring mods are thrown into the mix... FUN right?)

Thanks so much for the head check. I'd been on each side of the zero point of offset about 20X today!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
    I' do not know if it is in the body work or the axle but JDMvanman could no fit the same set up (14x7 Supra) that I have on my van on his JDM Van. The rim got in the way of the sliding door.

Yuup, myTownAce is 2WD and not lift mods, I tried the Supra rim on with no tire on it and the slider hit the rim.... good thing I didn’t have the tires mounted!! I know the rear axle is different then USDM rear axle cause the brake shoes and wheel cylinders are completely different and smaller.

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Townace, Super Extra White Edition, JDM

Sorry folks I’m gonna ask because all this calculation is breaking my brain 🧠

I have an 88’ JDM 4wd Townace with 2” of lift over stock. I’m not against trimming a moderate amount, but I just can’t sort between the door clearance, backspacing, offset, etc…

The 15x8 of these come in a -19 and a -12 offset, but the backspacing is different and that’s where I get confused… I’m assuming there’s no way these even come close to the slider clearing them, correct? I’m not against shimming the track, but that probably couldn’t gain me enough, yes?

https://fueloffroad.com/wheel/13343/...ID=4434&lugs=6

Thanks for any help here. I’d love a little wider track and the 15” tire option, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s all worth the trouble 🤣

Thanks for any thoughts here. I’ve read the entire thread and a couple others, but the more I read the more out of whack I feel. hahahha.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Yes, I have one

I have a set of Suzuki Sidekick wheels for mine. 15" ,5x5.5 bolt pattern, right center bore hole. They currently have 215-70-15 tires that roll out about the same diameter as the 27x8.50x14 BF Goodrich All Terrains that I have on the stock wheels. There are no sliding door issues. There are no fender clearance issues. Wider wheels buy you virtually nothing in stability unless you go several inches wider...each. They just serve to throw mud all over your van and rocks through other people's windshields. A taller tire will buy you a bit more road speed at the same RPM but clearance becomes an issue. And if you go too tall, it can drop you out of your power band and your mileage & performance drop off accordingly. toyota van smaller.jpg