Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to 15" rims

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

What would be the best 15" wheels for a 4x4 van?

Hello all,

Well I pretty much exhausted my options for what I'm looking for in a 14" tire for my 4x4 van. I pretty much wanted a good all around tire that would be rated for all season. The Michelin X I thought was my "go to" tire. It was rated at a 80,000 mile warranty and was an all season tire. The best thing was that it had the size, 205-75-R14 I was looking for! After being lead around for who knows how long by the tire guys at CostCo, it ends up now they are going to discontinue the tire. I really don't want to spend way over $500 for a set of four tires with really no warranty on them. Plus have to find someone to put them on!

So I'm wanting to see what's available by using 15" wheels. My goal on the using this size is to ultimately get the same diameter tires as the 14" above. Tires I want to use is a Michelin, BFGoodrich or Bridgestone tires on the 15" wheels. Anyone know what wheels I should be looking for that would work? I guess I'm also wondering what size tire I should look into getting.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

(if this should go under "4x4 vans" sections, feel free to move this)

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: What would be the best 15" wheels for a 4x4 van?

There are several threads on 15in rims but sidekick/tracker rims are the only real option, 205/70r15 tires fit with marginal trimming and the speedo is accurate.
    I am running Pirelli's and very happy with them.

Alternatively you may want to check out General Grabber AT 27x8.5x14 if you want to stay with the stock rims.
    BB

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Thread moved because it doesn't apply to 2WD vans (that's the acid test — if a 2WD vanner can use the info, put it in "Vans" so it can be found by 2WD-ers). I don't mind moving stuff if people aren't certain.

I just ran into the same problem with Costco and Michelin. Ended up with a set of 205/75R14 (stock size) Toyo Eclipse tires from Les Schwab. Allegedly 70K (we'll see, of course). Tread is similar to the Michelins.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic

I have the tracker wheel. love them. I put on some Good Year Assurance tires.
    van.2011.jpg
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE

I had a set of Suzuki Samurai wheels (15x5.5 +10mm offset) and they fit good with up to 215 width tires.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD LE Auto - Lifted

I have the same rims as Rawb here. I love them. I put beefier tires on them than Rawb and ended up having to trim a moderate amount to minimize tire rub.

I had my van posted at the other place but no photos here yet.

My Van(s):
    Vanessa the 86 2wd cargo and Rusty the Troubled 89 4WD. Update: Rusty is dead. A trailer dragged him over a cliff. He is crumpled and in my front field and donating parts to keep Vanessa on the road.
    Canada's West Coast when working. Home in the West Chilcotin when not.

We use geo tracker rims. Three years on the set so far and the heavier van hasn't broken the tracker (lighter vehicle) rims yet.
    Arghhh. Har Har Har. It's a pirate's life for me!

86 2wd cargo
    89 4wd (now a crumpled mound of parts in the front yard)
    96 (3rd Gen) 4Runner Limited

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Upgrading to 15" rims

I am looking for advice upgrading to 15" rims for my 87 4WD. I have done some searching and my understanding is that I will need rims ... preferably alloy ... with 5.5 inch center hole pattern ... are there other considerations? Also found these and assuming they will do the job? - http://www.jcwhitney.com/pro-comp-xt...119y1988g437j1

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ken

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Upgrading to 15" rims

Search our site, lots of info on this topic.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5 speed

Just got mine all sorted out today as a matter of fact.
    205/75/15's on Sammy spokers
    minimal trimming up front, 2 inch lift, tortion bar tweak in front, and mr gasket spacers in the back
    next project is aerostar springs in the back, to get rid of those rubber spacers, keep spitting out

Another new look shrink.jpg

The tires are General Grabbers Amazon.com has em for $99.99 each free shipping

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Looks fantastic! I am looking to do NO trimming on the body though .... I have 15"rims on the beast now with no trimming ... just looking to change the style of the rim..... I assume there was no trimming on the van because of he profile of the tires that are on there now? Which I am also going to be replacing. Thoughts?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Oh and meant to ask ... are those alloy are steal rims? I've been told better to run the alloy if you can because of the reduced weight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Looks fantastic! I am looking to do NO trimming on the body though .... I have 15"rims on the beast now with no trimming ... just looking to change the style of the rim..... I assume there was no trimming on the van because of he profile of the tires that are on there now? Which I am also going to be replacing. Thoughts?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5 speed

I suppose you could "trim nothing" with 70 series profile tires, I went with 75's a tad bit taller.
    What 15 inch wheels do you have now? how come you want to replace them?
    Mine are steel Samurai wheels, no alloy here. I've heard they can crack with heavy service, but
    I don't plan on running the Rubicon any time soon.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

I have attached a photo of the rims I have now .... just don't love the way they look .... I've just heard better than steel for stopping and not wearing the front end out because of the weight difference. It would be interesting to know what the actual weight difference is ... and whether or not it's that big of a difference.

Bellingham trip May 2009 182.jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5 speed

I agree lighter weight means less rotational weight means easier to stop, easier on the suspension and wheel bearings.
    have you considered powder coating them to change the look a bit?
    I think they look cool, are you looking for a more rugged look or something?
    Those wheels on Summit's website won't work wrong offset, and they'll hit your slider door.
    theres not much room with Samurai's and 205's
    Clearance shrink.jpg

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

You know powered coating them is a fantastic idea! I was hoping for something less chrome .... so I may just give that a shot ... thanks for the idea!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5 speed

I've seen your style powder coated black, looks cool, I went with hammer tone silver for mine, just a bit different, and goes well with my tundra blue exterior. I look forward to seeing yours when finished! post some picks!

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

72658no4x4.JPG

has anyone used these wheels from a sidekick? were all the offsets/etc. the same for the sidekick tracker wheels?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

i have sidekick wheels on mine currently. they're the 91-98 model year 10 slot wheels. the ones you pictured should be the same except for looks.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 10.14.37 AM.jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 man

Kenneth, hey just wondering what vehicle application you used to find those rims, also do you know the ideal back-spacing relative to stock wheel.