Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to 15" rims

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5 speed

Re: Upgrading to 15" rims

Mine are Suzuki Samurai steel, The alloy ones are Suzuki Versa (not sure the spelling)
    The difference in "off set" in outward 1 inch. So consequently you get a 2 inch wider track width, that doesn't suck.
    That's what I know for now.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1997 Toyota Previa LE

I need to buy one for 1997 Toyota Previa LE. Where can I order online? I have been really busy with work and have no time to go to an auto shop.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by toyofan View Post
    I need to buy one for 1997 Toyota Previa LE. Where can I order online? I have been really busy with work and have no time to go to an auto shop.
    If nothing else, you could try stock wheels: http://www.stockwheels.com/toyota-Wh...!-#!10!#-!5729

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD Toyota Van

Hey all,

Just got my van and looking to also upgrade to 15". I'm really digging the Samurai wheels and am looking for a set currently. These come stock 5.5 width? Also anyone know the offset off the top of there head? I'm seeing some aftermarket samurai look-a-like wheels and am curious if those are a viable option.

Thanks

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Pchristian87 View Post
    Hey all,

Just got my van and looking to also upgrade to 15". I'm really digging the Samurai wheels and am looking for a set currently. These come stock 5.5 width? Also anyone know the offset off the top of there head? I'm seeing some aftermarket samurai look-a-like wheels and am curious if those are a viable option.

Thanks

don't know about Samurai wheels but mine has wheels from a Suzuki sidekick/geo tracker and they fit and look great.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Sammys offset: +10. OEM is +14. Your wheels will stick OUT by 4mm more = safe = way clear of sliding door. Assuming 205 /70 tires: taller tires = more side wall bulge =all bets are off
    Last edited by Carbonized; 10-01-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD Toyota Van

Carbonized sent this to me after I asked for some clarification. Super helpful.

Originally Posted by Pchristian87
    Hey bud,
    Was reading your post on the 'Upgrading to 15" rims' thread and wanted to clarify some things. You said the stock Van wheels are +14 offset. If they stick OUT 4mm more does that mean that's better for sliding door clearance? I thought the less they stuck out would mean more clearance. I don't know much about offset so please, school a newbie. haha

"Offset" is the distance between the imaginary center line of the rim and the mounting surface of the hub. Positive is when that surface is outboard (street side) of the center line (of the rim). Negative is when that hub surface moves to the inboard side (inside of van) of the rim's center line. 0 offset is when rim's center line and hub mount surface are matching. It get very confusing when you get " less positive offset or more negative offset In a comparison between Van OEM (+14) and Sammys (+10) you are staying on the positive side of the centerline but losing 4mm of distance between the rim center line and the hub surface therefore, physically, the outer part of the rim has moved outboard by 4 mm in relation to its hub. Some times also expressed as "the dish is deeper"
    It get really, really messed up when you also change the rim width, as you can make the dish deeper without changing offset . Or as is the case on my LE where I went from the 5.5 wide +25 offset OEM to the 7 wide +8 offset Supra witch moved the rim 1.37 inch out, with my 205-70x14 boots on, the sliding door clears by maybe 2 mm.

In our case it doesn't improve clearance, it reduces it, but it si safely within what the sliding door allows, assuming reasonable tires.
    Hope that helps
    Feel free to copy to the thread, as it could help others too

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    93 Toyota townace 4x4

I did some in depth measuring on my 4x4's front end if this helps. if you follow the basic steps you can figure out what wheels you can put on it. its a bit of a mind roflroflroflrofl but once you ave your head around it things will make sense.
    just keep in mind as mentioned up above that especially on 4x4 tyres there is a lot of sidewall bulge! also clearance should be higher than you think as when the car is bumping about under compression especially on lock it needs more of a gap than you'd think!
    anyway here are my measurements.

VARIOUS OPTIONS

100mm from hub face to arch inside front clearance.
    3.93 inches.
    7 inch wheel is ok.
    225 tyre 8.58 inches wide. Would equal
    Half the tyre width is 112.5mm 4.43 inches

100mm clearance so 12mm overlap.
    So a minimum of et12 needed for 225 tyres.

Et7 on 215 tyre
    Wheel width 177.8mm
    Half =88.9mm
    With et7 wheel 81.9mm sticking out towards arch.
    -18.1mm clearance.

Et 30 wheels on 215 tyre
    88.9mm half wheel
    -30mm offset
    =58.9mm sticking out
    107.5mm half tyre width
    77.5mm of tyre sticking out towards arch. 100mm to arch clearance
    -22.7mm total clearance.

Et0 on a 215 tyre
    107.5mm half tyre width.
    Arch gap 100mm
    +7.5mm sticking out.

these are some of the offsets I found available on aftermarket wheels in our stud patterns and centre bores.
    the pic is of mine on some et7 by 7'x15 on 215x75x15. this took quite a bit of modding. the rear door hits the wheel but still can be forced open. without going to a lower offset (less than et7) the door won't open.
    most aftermarket wheels I've found push the wheel further out. this causes more and more problems especially if you go for a wider tyre.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa Le S/C All-trac Turquoise Frost Metallic

Is there a 15" tire that doesn't require modifications for the 4wd Toyota Van?

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

As I understand it, on 15" there are few options, it depends on how much you are willing to "lift"..... Come to think of it , isn't lifting already "modding"
    You could start there but there is a lot more if you search https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...es-tires-tires!
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Are there any options for stock?

My Van(s):

95-le,
    After searching you've got to actually read. Hint hint: go back to page one, post#2 of this very thread
    LG.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I guess that you didn't read my question, but thanks anyway.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

He did, actually, and both questions are answered at post #2

And if you want to keep the 14's and not run the grabber style boot, there is another thread on the Korean versions.
    Going to an "R" tire (passenger rated) leaves one with only low grade, soft sidewall tires.
    All the quality 14in tires are gone, even 15's are getting hard to find these days.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I asked what size 15" is possible stock. Post 2 says that size will fit with "marginal" trimming. When I say stock, I mean zero modifications to the body. But thank you anyways, happy holidays!!!

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

I'm finding the above request for information very confusing, and it's obvious I'm not the only one.

Stock rims are 14" (5 bolt) on the 4WD Vans.

15" RIMS are not stock for the Vans, ever.

I believe the actual question is whether any tires on any 15" rims can be used without modification to the Van. If that is the question, the answer (based on current collective knowledge) is no ... unless you can find (and want) low-profile tires.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yes that was my question, I would prefer to not have to trim a van just to put 15" wheels and tires on it.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Thanks for clarifying all that Gwen

And just to take it a little further:

The 205/75R14 tire has an overall diameter of 26.1in and overall width as 8.0in
    The 205/70R15 is 26.3in and 8.2"
    As previously stated the 15in rims have a slightly different offset and will move the tires slightly outward.

Different manufacturers tires will have slightly different measurements in overall sizing, but the charts should get you close.
    You could move to a +2 upgrade (16in rims) but while you can get something in 26.1 OD the OW is 8.6in and I suspect may cause issues with fenders and sliding doors, but haven't tried it yet.

The only "grinding" I had to do was to take the squared corner off the bottom of the plastic finisher at the front of the wheel,
    hardly what I would consider a "modification", perhaps a concourse judge might take issue, but most people wouldn't even notice.
    The plastic was just catching on the rather square tread face of the tire (Pirelli Scorpions), a different tire may clear just fine or cranking the torsion bars 1/8in over stock height would have accomplished the same thing, but the file was faster and easier.

Happy Holidays to all

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Put these two sites in your favorites. There's a lot of information, esp on tiresize.com, with visualization too, including offset. They even helped me figure things out (!), and there are several other similar resources if these don't do it for you (e.g. wheel-size.com doesn't have Van stock rim specs listed, unfortunately). These were just the ones I chose to use for reference for my Previa.

https://tiresize.com/

https://www.wheel-size.com/
    Last edited by Jonny; 12-27-2018 at 07:02 PM.

My Van(s):

I was just looking through a mail in catalog from JEGS.com and found theses BFGoodrich by Coker tire from 205/70 to 245/60 in 14" and a bunch in 15"

Happy new year everyone!
    LG.