Thread: Timing 25 degrees is that even possible

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Timing 25 degrees is that even possible

I picked up 3rd 89 new old van for free and the previous owner could not get it to pass emissions and did not want to deal with it.

The mechanic evidently said the timing was 25 degrees advanced but yet the engine runs great no pinging or detonation that you would see with timing too advanced and has great power with no rough idle and no hesitation. No check engine lights and no codes. Engine performs great for 247,000 Miles

Is that even possible for the timing to be that far off and the engine still run as good as it does?. He said the timing was off from probably a bad TPS which would be true however I have none of the symptoms of a bad TPS acting up like surging idle, stalling after quick stops none of that

The NOX gas was high but border line. The cat is rusted out. My thought was replacing the cat and I should be good. Any thoughts on this?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Re: Timing 25 degrees is that even possible

The cat would be the place to start if it runs well yet fails.
    TPS could be faulty and sending codes. Those have to be clear as well to pass.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Clear codes.
    If cat is rusted out then yeah, I'd replace and go for it.
    Maybe the distributor is a tooth off and that's why the timing is so far forward. Check the timing yourself to verify first.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

It would run like crap, if it were off a tooth. If the timing light is showing 25 degrees off and the engine runs that smoothly, I would suspect that the harmonic balancer has spun. This would make the timing mark inaccurate. If the cat is rusted out, your probability of not passing emissions would be high.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual 1987 4wd automatic

My timing was off 180 deg and the van ran well. Like what Rudy said, my pulley had spun.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

The timing was not determined by the use of a timing light but by the probe attached to the No. 1 lead spark plug wire from the emissions testing equipment so the theory of a spun harmonic balance can be ruled out

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I fail to see how you can check timing by just a probe on plug wire #1. Isn't an inductor on plug wire #1 just a reference point for when cylinder #1 is firing? It doesn't show where the engine's rotation is when that plug fires.

How would an emissions place see the degrees of rotation on an engine at the point where cylinder #1 fires, especially on a 1989 vehicle with no fancy computer to give you all the data?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

That's my suspicion too. I was just relaying what I was told by no means do I believe any of it since I was not there to see the emissions test

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

getting my rebuild together and harmonic balancer has spun about 90 degrees...id say anyone timing their engine needs to verify tdc...im very reluctant to run this pulley even with my new marks...sadface

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

I'm gonna make a guess that he didn't short the test terminal... without the test plug shorted it will happily run at about 25* btdc.