Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power steering using alot of fluid!

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Re: Power steering using alot of fluid!

Replace the power steering return hose with a 15mm hose. It seems like everywhere suggests 5/8" hose, but that fits too loosely. Everything is metric on the van!!! Don't use 5/8"...the hose clamp must be put on too tightly and will eventually dig into the hose and damage it.

15mm hose will fit better and you will not have to overtighten the hose clamps.

While you are at it, replace the o-ring on the underside of the metal bracket that the return hose connects to.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Ok, i'll try that. Anything special about the O ring? I saw the rebuild kit was $2 to 20. Wasn't sure what the quality difference was. (rockauto)

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

If i remember correctly, I was NOT able to use an O-ring out of the universal multi-size o-ring box that you find at Harbor Freight...the o-rings that were the correct diameter were too thick.

The easiest option is to just order the correct o-ring or purchase the power steering rebuild kit, since you may end up discovering the leak is coming from elsewhere...or there are multiple leaks. It took me 3 attempts to get it right. Now, I can remove the power steering pump like a pro!!!

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Conductive metal, such as foil turns out to not be such a great idea as a shield. I was inspecting the area and started moving the foil a little bit accidentally and it slid onto the + terminal on the alternator and started a little fire I was able to blow out real quick. It looks like it had been connecting a little bit for awhile now based on how much carbon is built up. I replaced it with a thin plastics film.
    Name:  alternator fire.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  56.4 KB

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

I have a 86 2WD maunal, is there a certain kind of fluid to use in the power steering reservoir?

Should I stay away from the generic "power steering" fluid?

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Click on Advanced Search (upper right of the screen)
    In the Tag field, enter "power steering fluid (ATF)"

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

For those using the search function and not tags:

Other posts are saying to use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) rather than generic power steering fluid.
    Power steering fluid shouldn't hurt anything. It's nice that the system was designed for Dexron ATF as it's cheap and plentiful. Power steering fluid will do the same job, it just costs more and comes in smaller quantities...........just don't put any in your transmission . Tim

Yes, even the owners manual tells you to use Dexron II Automatic Transmission Fluid. When Dexron ATF was discontinued (about 10 years ago), Dexron III superseded it.
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...Power-Steering

So it sounds like Dexron 3 Automatic Transmission Fluid is what you should use for the power steering fluid.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    So it sounds like Dexron 3 Automatic Transmission Fluid is what you should use for the power steering fluid.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Cruiser View Post
    Replace the power steering return hose with a 15mm hose. It seems like everywhere suggests 5/8" hose, but that fits too loosely. Everything is metric on the van!!! Don't use 5/8"...the hose clamp must be put on too tightly and will eventually dig into the hose and damage it.

15mm hose will fit better and you will not have to overtighten the hose clamps.

While you are at it, replace the o-ring on the underside of the metal bracket that the return hose connects to.

Any idea where I could find 15mm hose that can handle ATF? I see 5/8's is the standard in all the stores.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by phychotron View Post
    Any idea where I could find 15mm hose that can handle ATF? I see 5/8's is the standard in all the stores.
    Yes, please tell. If it can be had I'd appreciate knowing where to get it. FWIW, I've been using 5/8" ID hydraulic hose for over 5 years with no leaks, but if it ever starts leaking I'd rather replace with something that fits exactly right. BTW, 15mm = .5905" and 5/8" = .6250" (a difference of .0345"). That's not a lot, but I agree that finding a perfect fit is preferable. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Just make sure you use these. The hedges are rolled and the slots are indents: Nothing there to cut into the rubber if slightly over tightened,for safety use a pair side by side to cover more hose area.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

PCV Emissions hose 19/32" (15mm)

Found at most auto parts stores and sold by-the-foot.

Before concerned individuals ask if this hose is safe as a LOW-PRESSURE RETURN LINE for the ATF fluid that is used in our power steering systems, I will outline reasons that I feel it is a safe option.

...ATF is simply a lubrication oil with additives, such as rust/corrosion inhibitors, detergents, etc.

...PCV hose is a multi-purpose hose that is made of Nitrile Rubber (SYNTHETIC RUBBER) and safe for gas, diesel, E85, oil, and LUBRICATION OILS. The hose is reinforced with synthetic fibers.

...According to the SAE J30 Standard for fuel, oil, and emission hoses (which includes the PCV hose), the operating pressure is up to 145psi. The operating temperature is -40 to 257 degrees Fahrenheit.

...According to the SAE J189 Standard for a low-pressure return hose, it is made of a synthetic rubber. The operating pressure is only 100psi when hose clamps are used. The operating temperature is -40 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

...I personally have been using the 19/32" (15mm) PCV hose as a return line for some time now. In my opinion, it is the same, if not better than a so-called "power steering return line". I have experienced no leaks, no fluid "sweating" out of the hose itself, no bursting or bulging of the hose. No other issues to speak of. On the other hand, the 5/8" return line that I replaced was leaking, deteriorating, and had the hose clamps digging into the hose. When I initially purchased a replacement 5/8" return line, it fit loosely and the clamps dug into the new hose immediately when tightened. I felt that this was unacceptable, so I researched and hunted for a safe alternative. This is what I found:

PCV Emissions hose 19/32" (15mm) made by Gates.

I am sure there are other brands, yet have no opinion on any hose brand being better than another.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

I sent Gates's engineering department an email asking if their PCV hose is suitable for Dexron III in low pressure applications. I hope they get back to me before my new alternator arrives. I'll keep you posted what they say.

19/32" hose is 15.081 mm. 5/8" is 15.875 mm. A difference of .8mm. There should be a ~.44mm gap around a 15mm barb when using 5/8" hose. Whereas the gap of 0.04 mm for 19/32". Which is about what would be needed to put it on easily.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

For what it's worth, I used Parker Push-Lok 801-10 5/8" (16 mm) ID 250 psi hose. It's reinforced synthetic rubber hose for use in pneumatic and light hydraulic applications. I used the narrow stainless worm drive hose clamps and mine hasn't leaked a drop since I installed 75k miles ago (back in the spring of 2014). I got mine in black, but it's available in different colors. It can be found for ~ $5 per foot, but for ease of purchase it might be worth paying a little extra to get from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Parker-801-10...re-bullets-btf. I purchased a 4' piece and trimmed it to fit. Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

It pays to shop around. Called 5 local auto stores, only one carried 5/8" power steering hose, at $28/foot. That Parker hose 4' section on amazon would have been $33. I almost ordered it there but they only had 3' in black, 2' in red (which I wanted to match my van) and plenty in blue. Usually when someone tells me to check Amazon I go to eBay and can usually find it for cheaper, or slightly more but free shipping (some people use their prime account to sell amazon stuff on ebay that way)

This time I found a 10' blue section for $30. I'll have a spare, or be able to sell the rest. Plus it should be here before Christmas, something amazon wasn't sure of.

I went with that Parker hose because of the braided reinforcement. All the other power steering hose was reinforced with just a few strands, and $20+ anyway.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Cool Re: Power steering using alot of fluid!

Just some points to ponder...

250psi hose that has braided reinforcement is simply overkill for this application. You are replacing a LOW-PRESSURE RETURN LINE. This hose will never see pressure in this range, not even close.

In addition, the hose clamps along with the loose-fitting 5/8" hose will be your "weakest link" and eventually be your source of a leak.

The 15mm hose doesn't even need hose clamps because it fits perfectly snug, although I put them on anyway for good-measure.

In my opinion, the 5/8" hose fits too loosely for this application, and is not the best long-term option.

I'll try to remember to update if/when my 15mm hose leaks in the next 30 years. Maybe all of you 5/8" hosers can do the same.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Couldn't find 19/32" PCV hose anywhere in stock. One store suggested it calls for 9/16" hose (14.3mm)

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...g-hose-failure

wheres all the humbug about hose type and size in my thread??

Drop down to 1/2" hose and apply pressure until its on???

ps... the mechanically correct answer has been provided as well as options. now everyone is spiting hairs on what is less then a 1/16" I.D. of a rubber hose which no doubt has a larger tolerance from the manufacturer than that. haahaha....

I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Replaced the hose today, it was a snap. The Parker 5/8" hose fits on snug. Feels like it will last a lifetime.

My question is about the curvature in it, will it matter that its a bit wavy? Should I try and level it out a little bit? I tried to slide the foam off the old one to get it to fit in the bracket but they seemed stuck on. I was thinking about getting a piece of pipe insulation next time i was at home depot.

Name:  20191218_151548.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  93.0 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

After running it hot for a while it will settle out a bit. The Parker hose is tough and should hold-up well as-is. Just make sure it's not getting pinched anywhere when you close your compartment lid.

Andy, 1/2" hose is too small. FYI, we're talking about the big suction hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump (pictured above). Tim