Thread: Rear wheel bearing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

Rear wheel bearing

Hello everybody...im getting ready to do the rear wheel bearing on my 1986 toyota van (standard, 2wd if that makes a difference) and im seeing a few different looking parts being sold as a "rear wheel bearing"....im leaning towards this one http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....279751&jsn=410

Is this the right part? will i need anything else to do this other than possibly a slide hammer? Also, the method of heating the new bearing up in gear oil and pressing it in worries me...is it possible to just bring the axle shaft to a shop after it has been removed and have them do it or will they need the entire van in the shop?

Thanks for any help in advance, sorry if i sound so clueless but ive never even done drum breaks, let alone take apart a rear axle so im a little worried about my abilities... :p
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

Re: Rear wheel bearing

A slide hammer is useful to remove the axles. I purchased the bearings from Rock Auto and had the local machine shop install them.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Re: Rear wheel bearing and axle removal

(Quoted from a Previa thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Be careful to install the retainer with the flanged end facing the correct direction.
    Does the flanged(rounded) end go toward the oil seal and the flat side against the bearing? I think that is how it was when I took it off but should have payed closer attention.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    Does the flanged(rounded) end go toward the oil seal and the flat side against the bearing? I think that is how it was when I took it off but should have payed closer attention.
    Yes, you are correct!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Yes, you are correct!
    Got the retainer on tonight and was ready to put axle back in but.....the axle is flopping around! I think I may have the wrong bearing. The outside diameter of the bearing is appx. 2.820 inches which is much smaller than the opening it is supposed to fit into. Am I overlooking something? The van is a 1985 model and I ordered the bearings from rockauto. And I dont have the old bearing to compare the new one to...it has already been thrown away.
    Last edited by lamont; 02-01-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    Got the retainer on tonight and was ready to put axle back in but.....the axle is flopping around! I think I may have the wrong bearing. The outside diameter of the bearing is appx. 2.820 inches which is much smaller than the opening it is supposed to fit into. Am I overlooking something? The van is a 1985 model and I ordered the bearings from rockauto. And I dont have the old bearing to compare the new one to...it has already been thrown away.
    After some further research and checking bearing specs, It seems that the rear bearing for 1984-85 vans was a smaller diameter bearing than the ones used from 1986-1989. So the bearing I ordered was the correct bearing for a 1985 van but it is the wrong size. WHAT????? Well it seems my 1985 van has a 1986 or above rear end! I do not know if a previous owner changed it or if maybe the factory put some 86 rear ends in 85 vans. Anyway, time to remove the new bearing I just put on and wait for my new LARGER bearing to arrive! So if you plan to do this job, be sure to measure the O.D. (outside diameter) of your old bearing before ordering your new bearings.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 1985 Toyota Van

Re: Rear wheel bearing

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I was wondering, are these rear bearings packed with grease, or are they lubricated with the gear oil from the rear diff?