87 4wd automatic

Cool best place to get OEM parts

Has a great breakdown section too.
    http://toyotaoempartsworld-px.rtrk.c...?siteid=215233
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: best place to get OEM parts

Looks like a good place for you Floridians. Not bad for the east coast too. A bit too far away for me though. Thanks for sharing. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Discount Toyota parts site for Canadian members

Not sure how long this site has been up, but I think it's new. I haven't checked prices, but think it will be better than some of your current options. Check it out and let us know what you think. Tim

http://www.toyotapartscanada.com/oempartscat.html

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Re: Discount Toyota parts site for Canadian members

their address says PA? that means they're in the US?
    shipping parts to canada by UPS or fedex usually involves expensive brokerage charges

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Most of these discount parts sites have ridiculous shipping calculators anyhow (and that's without the brokerage fees). Still, at least these guys are willing to ship (most US based parts sites refuse to ship to Canada). I guess we won't know how expensive the shipping + BS fees will be until somebody tries it and reports back.

I actually stopped using these type sites due to the stupid and unfair shipping charges. Last time I got screwed over I went to my local dealership and was able to negotiate a deal better than the prices most these sites charge (with no shipping). Of course I'm a business & I order a lot (so it works for me). For most others I'm guessing that's not an option & paying shipping + brokerage fees is probably still better than paying the absorbanent mark-up most Canadian "stealerships" charge. If somebody tries this, please let us know how they treat you. Tim

FWIW: I paid the ridiculous shipping on small parts for years because they said it's just easier to calculate shipping using a percentage. Then I finally ordered something big and got hit with a huge sur-charge due to it being oversize. So I guess it only works one way. They routinely overcharge using the percentage rule, but in the rare instance it could work in your favor they still screw you over.............Guess I should have been expecting it . Okay, rant complete .

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I threw some parts in the cart just to see. When it came to shipping options the only one available was "international shipping ($45)". Sorry to you Canadians. Not a very good option unless you have a very large order to spread that out over. But then I am in Tacoma, Wa and can do a local pickup for $5 with 1sttoyotaparts.com so maybe $45 isn't as bad as I think.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 LE 2WD

I just ordered a t-stat from http://www.toyotaonlineparts.com/
    A day later I got a partial shipping refund through paypal from the vendor which was a nice surprise - I'd happily order from him again. I was expecting to just suck it up and pay for the shipping if it meant my van could shift into OD more often!

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Ordering parts from eBay and Amazon

I wanted to see what parts people have ordered from eBay or Amazon that they've saved money on and are happy with?

Admin timsrv recommended a fuel pump on eBay, which is significantly cheaper than buying locally in store.

Fuel Pump - US Motor Works $38 eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Motor-Wor...301b65&vxp=mtr

Fuel Pump - US Motor Works $50 Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Us-Motor-Works.../dp/B004A7VT18

Can you recommend any other good products online?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Ordering parts from eBay and Amazon

On some of my more comprehensive posts I embed links to Amazon and/or eBay. Some AM parts have worked out well for me but some have failed miserably. For the parts I specify OEM, it's usually due to problems I've had with AM. Here's a thread will lot's of embedded links (most start on page 2). http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ngine-Overhaul

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

Re: Ordering parts from eBay and Amazon

I recently re-bushed the control arms on the front of my van and just decided to order these from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HCOC8PW/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFHW5UQ/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFHTT8C/

I have only put a couple of hundred miles on my van since doing this (and at the same time I replaced the sway bar bushings and end links, strut rod bushings, shocks, and inner tie rod ends with brand-name and OEM stuff) so I can't comment on their longevity, but they did look good, were packaged professionally, and shipped quickly... so... ? I can say that in the scant ~200 miles I've logged since doing the work and getting an alignment, the van has performed excellent and is a treat to drive.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon Automatic 2WD

Where to buy parts

I was wondering where the best place to buy OEM parts would be online. I've come across a couple sites like https://parts.olathetoyota.com/ and toyotapartsdeal.com but don't know if either of these are reliable.

Would it be better for me to just buy the parts straight from my local dealer?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Where to buy parts

The dealer only sells OEM and while expensive there is no guess work involved, the right parts that fit and work.
    The downside is it can be expensive, but cheap parts that don't perform properly are even more expensive, in the long run.
    Many things I will only buy OEM, thermostats come to mind.
    There are also several discount OEM parts sources on line but I haven't used any personally.
    Different dealers will have different pricing structures so it can be worthwhile looking around but its equally important to find an outfit you trust.
    Rock auto can be a good source for A/M but one has to watch the shipping costs as they can escalate in strange ways sometimes.
    Your location and finances may also dictate what is the best choice for you.
    Scouring the forums will yield much in the way of part numbers and sources, so always good to do a quick search.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

The other thing one has to consider with parts purchases is what happens when things go wrong?
    Knowing how a company deals with problems (incorrect/damaged parts) in advance can be worth its weight in saved aggravation, cost and downtime.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

ill always check ebay for aftermarket or oem parts..usually theres some sort or checks and balances for transactions and often i can get a better deal than most other places. ive often been able to get better than dealer prices on auto, motorcycle and bicycle parts..

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I used to be a Jaguar parts manager.
    Even back then there were resellers of OEM products.

I had previously been told by factory reps that contracted parts that failed to pass inspection would often show up in clearance houses instead of being destroyed.
    I had a hard time buying the argument and we did succumb to temptation.

At the time, upper control arm bushings retailed for $99ea (4 req'd, dlr cost was $77) we bought "Genuine OEM in factory packaging" out of the US at $23/
    we started with 4 car sets (16 bushes) sold them at half normal retail ($50/) and it seemed like a great deal for all.
    (understand that this was on top of $300 labour plus full alignment)
    The parts came in factory packaging and we couldn't tell them from what was on the shelf(true OEM).
    We ended up eating all 4 sets inside of 3 months and swore never to repeat that mistake.

I suspect it had a lot to do with company size, Jag outsourced most everything whereas Toyota exerted far more control over their parts acquisitions, but it is something to consider when things seem "to good to be true".
    Just saying.....

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

If local pickup in the Eugene-Springfield area is convenient for you, Lithia Toyota Parts (https://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com) has discount online pricing equivalent to other online Toyota parts sources.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Authorized Denso and AKE resellers. They supply the stuff to Toyota. 20 % less.

Rock auto, Advance and others are. If in doubt ask.

I would guess 90% of the sensors on Ebay are fake.
    Last edited by Kombi; 01-21-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: forgot something

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

Any updates on places to get parts?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I've been using toyotapartsdeal for OEM parts.

JDM

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    I've been using toyotapartsdeal for OEM parts.

JDM
    They have good pricing, but they are slow (by today's standards). It usually takes them a minimum of 5 days to get a tracking number, then another couple of days to put it into the hands of the shipper. I'm not sure what they do there (regarding handling), even though I'm only 1 - 2 days away for regular shipping, it typically takes ~10 days for me to get anything through them..........sometimes much longer. But still, I've tried other places and if it needs to be OEM Toyota, they're usually about the best prices around.

Back in August I needed a part ASAP & I ordered it from them. That was a Saturday and I needed it by the following weekend. on Wednesday I called to get status and was told it was ready to ship and I'd get a notification soon. I told them it needed to ship by the end of day so I could get it by Friday but they couldn't/wouldn't commit. After hanging up I called my local Toyota dealership and was told the part I needed was in stock in CA (same state as TPD). They said they could have it before the weekend so I ordered another part from them. That was a Wednesday and it came on Friday. The one I ordered from TPD didn't arrive until the following Tuesday. As for the shipping, my local dealership had quoted me $90 for expedited but only ended up charging me ~$40. The one I ordered from TPD the shipping was ~$20. So yes, I ended up paying more from my local dealer, but not by much. If I had ordered both parts same day, I could have saved the expedited shipping costs and I would have ended up paying less from my local dealer AND I would still have met my deadline. But still, ordering on-line is convenient, so for parts that I don't need right away, I still use TPD. Tim