Thread: Put a 2 inch lift on a 97 Previa AWD LE. Now it vibrates (a bit). Help.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    97 Toyota Previa AWD LE Supercharged

Put a 2 inch lift on a 97 Previa AWD LE. Now it vibrates (a bit). Help.

Previa People,

Recently I had a Mechanic put on a 2 inch lift on my 97 Previa AWD LE. Upon test driving it he felt/heard a slight vibration in the front end (through the steering wheel) between the speeds of 15-30mph. He called the manufacture to report the issue. To wit, the manufacture said that because of the change in angle of the drive shaft it would take about 1000 miles for it to break in and stop making the noise/vibration.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does it go away? Should I have the mechanic take it apart and return to it's original specs at a huge cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1st Time Previa Owner

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Re: Put a 2 inch lift on a 97 Previa AWD LE. Now it vibrates (a bit). Help.

How long has it been since it was last alligned? Could be out of adjustment. I'd that and wheel balance before making any changes to lift. 2" isn't an overly aggressive amount typically. How is the angle on the front cv axles now?
    good luck with the solve
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Did you purchase the package kit from Journeys Off Road?

http://Journeysoffroad.com

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by tbkilb01 View Post

Good Morning. Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did. They told me that I would have to drive for awhile to reduce the slight vibration between 15-30mph. They said (I am paraphrasing here), that the angle is different so I will have to wear it down a bit. Thus, the vibration should go away in about 1000 miles. btw.. they have been super helpful.

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Congrats!

I been wanting to get their package but wanted to revisit Timsrv's original post and try it myself. Keep posting concerns, problems, and or solutions..pictures?
    did vibration go away?
    Last edited by tbkilb01; 03-02-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

I also put a Journeys 2" lift on my '92 AWD and I also have ( I call it a Shudder only lasts a couple seconds but at fwy speed kinda scary ) vibration in the front wheels but mine is at about 65 mph. I have been trying to trace it but without success. New tires, alignment so far and am replacing lower ball joints ( waiting for parts now ). I never thought it might be the lift that caused it, since the van has 229,000 miles on it, perhaps I'll just have to wait till the CV joints "settle in" with the new angle ?
    Glad to have read your post, will let you know if the new ball joints cure my "shudder"

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I also put a Journeys 2" lift on my '92 AWD and I also have ( I call it a Shudder only lasts a couple seconds but at fwy speed kinda scary ) vibration in the front wheels but mine is at about 65 mph. I have been trying to trace it but without success. New tires, alignment so far and am replacing lower ball joints ( waiting for parts now ). I never thought it might be the lift that caused it, since the van has 229,000 miles on it, perhaps I'll just have to wait till the CV joints "settle in" with the new angle ?
    Glad to have read your post, will let you know if the new ball joints cure my "shudder"
    Good Morning Chris.

Before I had a highly skilled Mechanic go through my van and "trace" the vibration. I noticed the more I drove it the "less of a vibration". In fact, I think it's getting less and less as I drive it. Instead of a steering wheel vibration it seems to be in the front end area.. Less and less.

My Mechanic took off first the front drive shaft, drove it, and still the vibration. (He even called the Previa Guru in Seattle Samaay> Thank you Samaay!!) He did the same thing with the rear. Still the vibration. He checked all the U Joints and balanced the tires (the tires where unbalanced). Like I said earlier, the shudder is still there but not as bad or loud. I will continue to drive it and have faith that putting a 2inch lift on it didn't set me up for major issues.. I am driving it to Alaska this summer and leaving it there as my "Family Alaska Adventure Pod on Wheels". I will keep this Thread up to date.
    Thank you all for your help and ideas..

Mike

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by tbkilb01 View Post

YES.. They have been very helpful and cool about supporting and finding a solution.

Mike

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    How long has it been since it was last alligned? Could be out of adjustment. I'd that and wheel balance before making any changes to lift. 2" isn't an overly aggressive amount typically. How is the angle on the front cv axles now?
    good luck with the solve

Yes, the Van has been aligned. The change in angle is not major. Just slight.. much like the vibration.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 previa sc le all trac

i installed a lift on a tundra (6"). i had to install bushings on the front differential that lowered the differential down keeping the front axles at about their orginial angle.