Thread: Suspension/Sway bar bushing information, links, and questions

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Suspension/Sway bar bushing information, links, and questions

Figured I'd condense what would be multiple threads into one thread to provide info and answer questions, on 4wd suspension bushings

First up sway bars
    The front sway bar consists of 2 different types of sway bar bushings and traditional end link bushings
    Inner most bushing is readily available from multiple sources and is the traditional 'D' shape.
    front inner bushing.jpg
    Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Outer most bushing is surrounded by a bracket on both sides. This bushing is a lot more expensive $22-34 depending on vendor.
    swaybar bracket.jpg
    Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ​Unanswered questions: not sure how bracket separates to get bushing out, it appears to be sealed on both sides? ?
    Front bar also includes traditional end link bushings (4 needed), that may need to be cut down to reduce height. If I find the proper height ones I'll post a link.
    end links.jpg

Rear sway bar consists of four traditional end link bushings as above, 2 traditional 'D' shaped bushings and an metal sleeved hour glass bushing that connects sway bar to end link.
    I have not been able to locate the rear bushing, the only reference I have found is for a bushing for the RWD. Still trying to confirm the diameter of the RWD sway bar to the 4wd on which measures as 19mm, but existing bushing is stamped 18, so maybe the bushing is supposed to be undersized meaning 18mm?
    rear bushing.jpg
    I have ordered a couple different sizes of 18 and 19mm bushings to see if i can find one that works? Once I have that I'll post a link.
    The hourglass shaped sleeve bushing I haven't found yet, though for some reason mine are in better condition than the others.
    end link-sleeve.jpg
    Here is the link for the rear sway bar bushings that fit.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Next up control arm bushings
    Last edited by bikerjosh; 03-13-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added link for rear sway bar bushing
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Suspension/Sway bar bushing information, links, and questions

Here's the part in the 87 service manual that talks about the 4wd front swaybar.........hope this helps. Tim

My Van(s):

So then it looks like the metal bracket stays together and the bumper must be pressed in?
    I'll give it a shot

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

??? I've never done this before. The picture in the manual makes it look like a 2 piece bracket.......but based on what you said and your pics it sounds like one piece. Perhaps you can make it into a 2 piece? Maybe butcher the old and make a new shell? Or maybe just slide the old one off the end of the bar, replace the rubber inside, then slide it back on?

My Van(s):

Yes, sliding off the end of the bar is the method I used to remove it. I managed to get the old bushing out by cutting a couple slots then driving out with a rod and hammer. I will need to use a press to install the bushing into the bracket. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    ??? I've never done this before. The picture in the manual makes it look like a 2 piece bracket.......but based on what you said and your pics it sounds like one piece. Perhaps you can make it into a 2 piece? Maybe butcher the old and make a new shell? Or maybe just slide the old one off the end of the bar, replace the rubber inside, then slide it back on?

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

I was able to get those bushings in the bracket, difficult but doable. I deformed the thin metal of the bracket slightly to aid in getting the bushing in and then worked it in there. Once i got the lip in i was able to "press" it in with a big socket and bench vise. Trial and error and harder to get right than it sounds. Your mileage may vary and be careful not to shred your new bushing. After, i carefully reformed the metal for the bracket.

Also i got the 'traditional end link bushings' you mentioned from toyotapartsdeal.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Ummm doesnt look like my van has any sway bar in the rear..hmm

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by LightBlueToy View Post
    I was able to get those bushings in the bracket, difficult but doable. I deformed the thin metal of the bracket slightly to aid in getting the bushing in and then worked it in there. Once i got the lip in i was able to "press" it in with a big socket and bench vise. Trial and error and harder to get right than it sounds. Your mileage may vary and be careful not to shred your new bushing. After, i carefully reformed the metal for the bracket.

Also i got the 'traditional end link bushings' you mentioned from toyotapartsdeal.
    Whoops looks like more to come, was later than expected. I was able to use a bench vice and silicon lubricant to get the new bushings set.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Whoops looks like more to come, was later than expected. I was able to use a bench vice and silicon lubricant to get the new bushings set.
    Right on! Do you know if the rear stabilizer bar is the same in 2wd and 4wd vans? My guess is no..

My Van(s):

Right on! Do you know if the rear stabilizer bar is the same in 2wd and 4wd vans? My guess is no..
    I do not. Never could get anyone to measure theirs and send info, so I got out a set of calipers and ordered some that were close.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Oh, i'm wondering if the actual bar is the same

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

So the traditional D shaped bushings for the rear sway bar are exactly the same as for the front stabilizer bar? I am trying to piece it all together from toyotapartsdeal and would like to save some money if I can get those moogs for the D shaped ones on the rear. Would be nice if i could find the whole assembly in the salvage yard.

My Van(s):

So the traditional D shaped bushings for the rear sway bar are exactly the same as for the front stabilizer bar? I am trying to piece it all together from toyotapartsdeal and would like to save some money if I can get those moogs for the D shaped ones on the rear. Would be nice if i could find the whole assembly in the salvage yard.
    I don't believe so, I'm pretty sure the rear sway bar is a smaller diameter than the front. I'll throw a caliper on both when I get a chance and measure. I hope they aren't the same or I will have spent a lot of time finding bushings that work. LOL

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Not particularly related to your query but general information nonetheless...

I just installed 2 new Febest "D" shaped front bushings today. I don't know much about this brand, but the bushings seem to check all the requisite boxes: They're rubber, they're in an upper case "D" shape (don't buy the lower case ones), and they were the exact size. Installation was about 5 minutes a side, could have been 3 but I kept second guessing myself (it couldn't be this easy, could it?), and seems to have helped cleaned up a nasty rattle I was having on the driver side of the van. The old bushing either vaporized or was stolen because it was completely missing, so it was time to take this job on.

If someone must use Toyota parts for the inner bushings, my friendly neighborhood Toyota dealer said there are "like 5 or 6" left still circulating around, part # 48815-30100. List price is $20.72 a piece. I bought the Febest bushings with leftover Amazon points, and really don't see the value in paying for OEM on something this simple.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I've been shopping around for these bushings (got a low-speed knock over bumps and some play in my sway bars) and it seems like the OEM Toyota prices are comparable, if not cheaper, than the aftermarket parts I've found (at least on line). The price for the 4WD inner front bushing 4881530100 is $10.33 at Village Toyota, pretty much same as the Febest you mentioned. Rockauto lists two outer front bushings for the 4WD at $13 and $27 while Toyota 4881528030 is $13.48. Unless I'm totally missing something and the aftermarket parts are sold in pairs or something, it seems sensible to just buy the Toyota parts that you know will fit. Rockauto has a bunch of 2WD bushings for super cheap, but unless someone can confirm they are interchangeable with 4WD models they won't do me any good. The silver lining appears to be that the 4WD only requires front two link rod bushings 9094801002 per side while 2WD requires four!
    The hourglass-shaped bushing 90385-11021 that connects the rear sway bar to the link rod appears to be a bargain at $1.70.
    FWIW, I measured my 4WD sway bars and front inner is 26 mm, front outer is 16 mm and rear inner is 19 mm.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

I was just relaying information the parts guy at my local Toyota dealership gave me. Looking online, there seem to be some Toyota dealers that still sell these bushings, the cheapest I found was $9.23. I believe that is for a single bushing (the Febest order was $10 for the pair), so 2 bushings at that rate plus shipping would still come out to over $32 to get to my house. That price is not a deal breaker or the end of the world by any means, but this was a place where I found it acceptable to save some money and forego genuine Toyota parts. If this was a job where I had to take half the van apart to install these bushing it'd be a different story but the whole job took about what, 7 minutes total?

As far as my Febest bushings, it's been 6 months and no issues. Good luck

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

Well, the news that the aftermarket bushings are sold in pairs inspired my inner cheapskate to take another look even though the Toyota part numbers didn't always seem to line up with what Rockauto was offering and I'm still not positive the bushings are the same for 2WD and 4WD (though I think they are.) I ended up getting Moog K90531 and K9258 (for the front and rear inner bushings) for just over 4 bucks a pair and they seem to fit fine. I got a couple 2WD link bars MEVOTECH MK90249 for $4.81 just so I could use the 4 bushings that came with them. For the end bushings I ended up getting the Febest TSB-759 and TSB-733 from Amazon for $10/pair since it was free shipping and for some reason Rockauto wanted $27 for the front. Thanks for the tip.
    I wish I could say it only took me 5 minutes each side but I had a hard time compressing the new front inner bushings enough to get the holes to line up, so I had to put a jack under the bracket to push it up enough to get the bolts in.
    Edit: Well crap, just got the Febest bushings from Amazon/Finest Auto Parts and for there's only one of each, they're not sold in pairs. How annoying. At least the shipping was free. Suddenly these are not such a good deal compared to OEM.
    Last edited by Hammervan; 12-11-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Its been a long time since I had my sway bar out but don't remember having any issues.
    I do remember that on the tercel, the bar could go in 2 ways and if you put it in "upside down" you had to use a jack to get it into place and bolted up, just something to be aware of.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

D814919A-BC4E-4FED-A23C-370B3E000762.jpg
    2A1AFA14-D17F-4708-AAE5-55A2E0220090.jpg
    can anyone tell me where I can get new “link rods?” As you can see in the photo mine are all worn out.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 4x4

Hey Spacecruisers, did you find new Link Rods? where at?