Thread: 87 2WD AUTOMATIC REAR TRANSMISSION OIL SEAL LEAK

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 Toyota Van LE RWD Automatic

87 2WD AUTOMATIC REAR TRANSMISSION OIL SEAL LEAK

Hi
    I purchased this van a few months ago and getting it ready for summer, I have chased down and repaired most of the fluid leaks. Yesterday I pulled the driveline and replaced the rear seal at the transmission, it was dripping and making an ATF mess. I noticed when the driveline was removed that the splined shaft coming out of the transmission has some play about 3mm or 1/8" maybe a little more, should that shaft have any movement?
    I changed the seal out with an OEM replacement and took it for a test drive, still leaking. Maybe I buggered the seal driving it in but it went in pretty clean.
    Thanks for your time
    David

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: 87 2WD AUTOMATIC REAR TRANSMISSION OIL SEAL LEAK

There is a bushing in the extension housing that needs to be replaced as I recall. I had this issue on my 87 back in 1996 where I had a leak from the rear extension housing and replacing the seal first did nothing to stop the leak and then changing the seal again and the bushing resolved the leak and the play in the driveshaft. I don't know if this is an available part perhaps when you tap the old one out it can be matched or cross-referenced to another compatible application. Best of Luck to you

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

The tail housing bushing is readily available from Rock Auto for a few dollars

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 Toyota Van LE RWD Automatic

Thank you for the information, new bushing and seal cured the major leak. Will take more pics in the future and post them.