Thread: tips for disconnecting this last wire to access engine ?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

tips for disconnecting this last wire to access engine ?

can't seem to pry this last wire connector apart no matter the combo of push and pull? (got everything else disconnected)

looks like that little tab wants to pushed to the side while pulling apart? i'm trying not to destroy anything or rip the wires out. been messing with it for an hour. feels like the plastic has fused from heat and time.

any tips? is it possible just to flop the engine panel toward the dash and prop it up with out disconnecting this wire?

thank you!

Name:  wireharness1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  wireharness2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  48.8 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

Re: tips for disconnecting this last wire to access engine ?

got it. it was fused together but i used a little silicone spray and cut around the inside edges with an x-acto

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

That plug connection BTW is for your shift lock solenoid. If it is disconnected you will then have to hold down the shift lock override button down every time while shifting out of Park or Reverse. So hopefully none of the wires got damaged. You could just remove the shift lock solenoid from the shifter assembly altogether. The shift lock solenoid was introduced on all Toyota 1989 Models as an additional safety measure so the car could not be shifted out of PARK unless the brake pedal was depressed and if unattended children were in the car, the transmission could not be shifted out of park from the passenger side

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

i like new info like this - thank you for the detailed explanation. worked late last night replacing my distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and spark plug wires. first time accessing the passenger side engine panel. test drive this morning was real good!