Thread: VIDEO Van can run with intake boot disconnected. No MODS

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

VIDEO Van can run with intake boot disconnected. No MODS

I assumed the engine stalled with the intake boot compromised because there was too much air being added to the Fuel mixture and leaning it out causing the engine to stall. However this video would appear to correct my thinking as it shows the boot partially disconnected with a screw driver wedged in the AFM to keep the AFM plate fully opened.

So what really happens when your intake boot is compromised is that the AFM cannot detect airflow and so the flap in the AFM does not open and triggers the fuel pump kill circuit.

So what this video tells me that in a pinch, if your hose broke while you were out on the road and you had no duct tape, you could do what this guy did in the video. its a 7 minute video but check out the video at 4:18 to see this specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbSI9moKmms

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: VIDEO Van can run with intake boot disconnected. No MODS

The screwdriver he has inserted in the AFM is holding the measuring plate open which is fooling the computer. Keeping it in a fixed position isn't ideal but will make it run with the intake boot disconnected. The fuel pump circuit is only part of the AFM function though. It also measures air volume and air density/temperature so that fuel trim can be adjusted accordingly. Without it reacting appropriately to changes in those two measurements you will get a lean or rich condition. In the case of a cracked or broken boot, air would be pulled into the engine after the AFM and would be unmeasured by the computer possibly causing a severe lean run which has the potential to cause severe damage if left that way for very long.