Thread: Wierd starter slow crank issue

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van 4x4 manual

Wierd starter slow crank issue

Hi Everyone,

I have a 88 4x4 5spd (not sure if this matters)

I've been having a strange starter issue after dropping and repairing my manual trans.
    Before dropping the trans the starter was working fine.

Since I was having everything repaired anyway, I decided to get a rebuilt denso starter since everything was out anyway.

Now that everything is bolted backup with a new group 27 battery, the starter will start the car, BUT ONLY after about 5 secs of very slow cranking.

For the first 3 second of slow cranking, the engine doesn't spin; which is strange. You can hear the starter slow crank but no engine movement. It seems strange to me since even with slow cranking, the engine should spin regardless.

After about 5 seconds, the engine starts to spin slowly and will eventually catch and fire.

I had the starter bench test and it came out good. However, I'm not sure how valid this test is since it seems that the issue occurs when the starter is under load.

Does this sound like a starter problem, bad ground, and or voltage drop in positive starter terminal? I've double checked everything in terms of corrosion and everything is clean but it is still slow cranking.

Anything else I should check.

Thanks for the help.

-Marvin

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: Wierd starter slow crank issue

There were two starters that could fit in the van the 1.4Kw for the 84-85 Van and the 2.0Kw 86-89 Vans. it could be possible that maybe you got the earlier starter that is less powerful? Aside form that check the usual stuff:

I would say check the battery cable lead that goes from the starter to the battery. and the ground cable from the battery. And make sure terminals are clean and not corroded

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    There were two starters that could fit in the van the 1.4Kw for the 84-85 Van and the 2.0Kw 86-89 Vans. it could be possible that maybe you got the earlier starter that is less powerful? Aside form that check the usual stuff:

I would say check the battery cable lead that goes from the starter to the battery. and the ground cable from the battery. And make sure terminals are clean and not corroded
    Hi JPERL,

Yes, Now that you mention it, that would be the problem since I ordered the starter from rock auto and the only option was 1.4kw. Didn't know there was a 2.0kw option. Do you happen to know where i might be able to get the 2.0 kw option?

Thanks,

Marvin

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

recently I have found a good auto-electric shop that does rebuilds. I take my old starter or alternator in and for 100 bucks they rebuild it in about 2 hours. This is actually I think the best option.

You could go to the Denso website directly and search for the starter for the 88 model year application

Here is an option don't know the reliability but its a 2Kw

Best of luck
    -Jack

http://www.carparts.com/details/Toyo...4MuA&gclsrc=ds

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

JPERL,
    Where did you find the output rating in that listing? Also, I thought the 1.4 KW was the higher powered one. There's a thread on here somewhere where this was discussed.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Here it is: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...3Y-4Y-starters

Marvin,
    If you can get it to start, an auto parts store should be able to do a load test on the vehicle. There are ways to DIY this as well but sometimes it's just as easy to take it to the parts store for a free test.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Here it is: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...3Y-4Y-starters

Marvin,
    If you can get it to start, an auto parts store should be able to do a load test on the vehicle. There are ways to DIY this as well but sometimes it's just as easy to take it to the parts store for a free test.
    It's tough but it will start. I'll see if I can take it to store for the load test.

Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I also just took a look at the thread and now I'm wondering if it's just a bad starter. That would mean I have the correct starter according to timsrv.
    But if there is a 2kw starter, that would be awesome too!

Marvin

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I made a mistake. I believe it's 1.0 and 1.4 kw. I had a major brain fart

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the help.

I just got a warranty replacement for the rebuild denso starter installed and it's working great!
    I guess even rebuilt denso starters could be DOA. Never had it happen before so this is a first.

Now onto the next issue.....

-Marvin