Thread: LE backup reverse lights with cargo tail lights

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

LE backup reverse lights with cargo tail lights

After 12 years I finally decided to diagnose my non working backup lights. This after getting a new lens from Jdelgado (thanks!). The lens broke when I backed into my garbage can because it was too dark to see, ironic huh?

The issue ended up being the switch on the transmission. I have one coming in the mail.

Anyhow, I took the opportunity to also wire up the backups on the cargo tail lights I have on the van. They were all I had as a replacement after a tree branch camping attacked my left LE tail light lens. Plus I figured 4 lights are better than one.

To get the cargo backup lights to work is pretty simple. The ground is already on the factory LE harness which plugs into the cargo talight. For power I tapped into the red black backup light wire going to the rear door backup lights. I then ran a wire to the left cargo back up light, and fished a wire along side the factory harness (behind the bumper) that runs to the right side and connected it to the right cargo backup light. That's it, now I have 4 backup lights.

I searched the topic, but I am still not sure if this has been covered before.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VanCo; 04-13-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: LE backup reverse lights with cargo tail lights

nice, looks like you got it working. now you just need some of the super bright LED reverse lights from JDM astar

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Previa

I agree on LED reverse lights. They are a lot brighter and will last longer than the halogen bulbs.

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Misterschmi: Thanks for the JDM astar info!
    The L.E.D. turn signal flasher relays are way cheaper than a few years ago.
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

I swapped out all interior and exterior bulbs with LED's from JDMastar and they're all a lot brighter and save a ton of wattage. very happy with the results. got a flasher on amazon for somewhere around 15 dollars when i did it. one of my front amber marker bulbs failed recently but I've had no problem exchanging them in the past under their warranty (had them on my yota pickup before i sold it as well)

their prices are a little higher than generic chinese ones on eBay and amazon, but they seem to be much better quality and their warranty is worth the price because i can easily swap them out if they fail. YMMV, but I'm happy with their products and service so far.