Thread: Ideas on non-working Cruise Control?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Previa

Ideas on non-working Cruise Control?

1996 Previa:

When I push the ON button on my cruise (yes above 25 mph) control the light on the dash lights as if it's working. But when I try to SET it to hold a steady speed nothing happens. Other than the ON button turning the cruise control on there is nothing working on it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there a fuse that could be blown, a vaccum line? If so, where?
    Thanks all.

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Re: Ideas on non-working Cruise Control?

Schultzee,

I had a similar issue. Please see the attached link. My van had a leaky brake master cylinder that caused the cruise circuit to disable due to low reservoir fluid level. There is a float switch in the reservoir. I replaced the master cylinder and now have great brakes and working cruise.Maybe this is not your issue, but it is a linked cause for no cruise control.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...Cruise-Control

Regards,
    Blake
    Last edited by blakebecker37130; 04-17-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: text spacing issue after first post

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Previa

Thanks Blake, I will try to check that.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1997 alltrac

i believe its called the actuater, located just above the accelerator pedal, likes to go bad on previas.
    there is a writeup on tvt or toyotavanpeople some where, where someone fixed their bad one. I always pick one up at the pickandpull for a spare, the one for supercharged previa is i think different than the no supercharged previa. I always swap this out first when the cruise doesnt hold. replaced 2 on my old 95. very expensive from the dealer. easy to swap out, couple nuts and a bolt as i recall.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Previa

Where is the REAR brake reservoir located? I found the main brake reservoir under the front hood and it was full. But can't locate the rear to see if the low level might be causing my issues.

Quote Originally Posted by blakebecker37130 View Post
    Schultzee,

I had a similar issue. Please see the attached link. My van had a leaky brake master cylinder that caused the cruise circuit to disable due to low reservoir fluid level. There is a float switch in the reservoir. I replaced the master cylinder and now have great brakes and working cruise.Maybe this is not your issue, but it is a linked cause for no cruise control.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...Cruise-Control

Regards,
    Blake

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by cb97alltrac View Post
    i believe its called the actuater, located just above the accelerator pedal, likes to go bad on previas.
    there is a writeup on tvt or toyotavanpeople some where, where someone fixed their bad one. I always pick one up at the pickandpull for a spare, the one for supercharged previa is i think different than the no supercharged previa. I always swap this out first when the cruise doesnt hold. replaced 2 on my old 95. very expensive from the dealer. easy to swap out, couple nuts and a bolt as i recall.

Thanks. I'll also look at that part.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Previa

I took some pics here as I can't figure out which part is the Cruise Control actuator, located just above the accelerator pedal.
    If you anyone can help point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1997 alltrac

i dont see it included in the pics. It has a silver cable going to it. There is a writeup on how to remove and fix somewhere, just google it, its not the yahoo list. It takes 10 min to remove, just a few nuts as i recall.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Previa

ok thanks. I'll look a little bit further up in there for it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Previa All-Trac

The cruise control on our '95 AllTrac has been out of order for a long time. I just did a search for Previa Cruise Control Actuator and found this thread on Toyota Nation. There are some great pix about halfway down with detailed info about the fix. Maybe I'll finally track down the problem and get it fixed.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by zweirad View Post
    The cruise control on our '95 AllTrac has been out of order for a long time. I just did a search for Previa Cruise Control Actuator and found this thread on Toyota Nation. There are some great pix about halfway down with detailed info about the fix. Maybe I'll finally track down the problem and get it fixed.
    What is it doing, other than not working? Are lights on/off/blinking? Does it work sometimes and not others?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

It used to work intermittently. The thing I thought was making it fail was trying to use it after wet weather. Now, when I try to get it work it doesn't light up or anything. I kind of gave up on it but saw this thread and might try replacing the actuator.

I've re-reading the different threads here and see a lot of great info. I'm thankful for resources like Toyota Van Tech since our Previa is nearly a vintage vehicle.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa LE 92 Previa LE 95 Previa LE S/C 95 Previa LE S/C 96 Previa DX S/C

The actuators are very expensive, but more often than not, it is just the motor brushes have worn down to nubs and the spring is unable to place proper pressure on the brushes to maintain commutator contact.

I did a very detailed DIY with lots of pix on repair of the actuator in another forum. My repairs have been running for years with no problems.

The brush problem has this signature:
    1. Cruise control that is used often starts to occasionally drop out with a flashing cruise indicator light. Turning off ignition and then back on resets the fault.
    2. Problem progressively gets worse over months or years until Cruise drops out immediately on Set with same flashing cruise lamp. Will not work at all.
    3. Using procedure to read trouble codes yields Actuator drawing too much current. (which is deceptive since RMS current is low)

Fix involves purchasing two brushes at a hardware store, modifying brushes as required to fit, disassembling motor, soldering in new brushes, and a lot of care and tedious re-assembly.
    If interest in Fix, I will post a link.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Rocketman, thanks for your reply. I vaguely remember something about repairing the brushes. If it's not too much trouble, can you post the link?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa LE 92 Previa LE 95 Previa LE S/C 95 Previa LE S/C 96 Previa DX S/C

Here is the link:
    https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...ntrol-fix.html

As my kids would say TMI, dad.
    Hope it is not too much.

Tips:
    The SC previas have an extra cable to pull compared to the NA previas. Consequently, the load on the actuator is higher, so current draw higher.
    One of the cables has a factory problem at the termination where the braided cable emerges from the sheath. There is (or should I say was) a small rubber dust boot that disintigrates probably because of incompatibility with the cable lube. It turns to goo and gets smeared into the cable sheath. Over the years, the goo travels a few inches into the cable sheath and increases cable drag by gumming up the works. It also apparently attracts dust and dirt instead of keeping it out like it was designed. Irony! I may have covered cleaning it in the posts, don't remember. The cables in the two vans I have now were both gummed up the same way. Not available as new part, the cables were in fine shape other than the goo, and ran smooth after cleanup.