Thread: Ignition Interlock

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Ignition Interlock

Kind of embarrassing to mention, but I got caught driving under the influence. Now I have to get an ignition interlock installed. I was thinking about getting it installed in my 89 Toyota Van. Does anyone know how these work or what needs to be tampered with for the install? Is it worth it, or should I get my hands on another car? I wanted to do my 04 sienna but since many of my employees drive it would not be convenient for them.
    My lawyer advised me to use a reliable car. I think my 89 Toyota Van is reliable enough. Any thoughts?

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: Ignition Interlock

Sorry to hear, I hope no one was hurt and the only damage done was to your pride and your wallet

On the matter though, I work in law enforcement and DUI enforcement, in particular, is my speciality right now. DUI laws differ from state to state, and certain caveats can even differ from county to county within those states. At least here in Arizona (where I live), there are a plethora of businesses whose sole service and product is the installation and maintenance of certified ignition interlock devices (CIID). The fees vary but out here $100 per month is the mean average. Some places you also have to report back to the place where your CIID was installed to have it 'recalibrated' every few months.

It obviously depends on the place, but the people running and working at these shops typically aren't butchers, and the installation is very neat and looks 'okay' when it's all said and done. After you have completed your obligation to the court, the interlock device can be removed and life goes back to normal and the looks and operation of the vehicle should not be affected in any way.

My advice, get it on the car you use and need the most. Again, laws differing, typically you have to have a CIID installed on any vehicle that you operate. If you drive one car to work and another as a work vehicle, out here you need a CIID in both. If you have a car that can pull double-duty as a work and daily driver, then I'd put it on that. If you feel that your van is up to it, I'd do that. Just realize that, again, if you get pulled over and you're driving your Sienna or another vehicle without a CIID, you could be liable for the maximum punishment allowable in your state.

Take this all with a huge grain of salt because we live in different states and there is a fine line between providing helpful public information and legal advice, the latter of which I am not qualified to give. Good luck.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Re: Ignition Interlock

Thank you for such a wonderful response. Yes no one was hurt except for my wallet. It is going to easily put me back $5000 when it is all said and done. So if anyone is reading this take a damn UBER or LYFT even if you are only 2 miles away from your house like I was. Safe to say I will NEVER do that again.

In MD if you use a car for work you don't have to. My lawyer said he would get me a waiver so I would be able to drive the Sienna only for work.

I usually use my 89 Toy Van for work as well and I can certainly daily drive it.

The maintenance costs for the device will be approximately $100 a month.

Do you know what is involved with them installing it? Will the 89 Van make the cut or be any different from another car lets say my Sienna?

4. 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Reason
    dead link makes post worthless

5. 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Reason
    dead link makes post worthless