Thread: Engine bay insulation

My Van(s):
    1992 Previa Alltrac "Ginger" (265K)

Engine bay insulation

Just took apart the engine covers today and insulated them. Pretty good job too I think. I'll post some pictures in a minute.
    Last edited by llamavan; 11-01-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: relocated from another thread

My Van(s):
    1992 Previa Alltrac "Ginger" (265K)

Re: Overdrive issues

Here's some pictures of the insulating I did.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 2wd

Engine bay insulation?

I searched the forum and didn't see anyone mention this. The engine heat tends to
    get the front seats pretty warm. Hardly notice it in the winter, bit once it gets hot out I do.
    I was thinking of either upgrading the heat insulation on the inside of the engine covers
    or adding some sticky duct insulation to the outside of the engine cover, under the carpeting.

Has anyone tried either of these? Any better ideas?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Re: Front seats get hot

I had good luck with the reflective insulation you can buy in a roll (got mine on amazon), made for firewalls, hoods, etc. Using my old tattered fiberglass insulation as a template, I cut the overall shape a little small so I could securely tape the edges down with foil tape, in addition to cutting slits where the original metal clips poke through and fold over. It took a little creative cutting and taping to get it to conform tightly to the underside of the seat hood, since it isn't molded like the original, but what I ended up with looks and works great.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I had good luck with the reflective insulation you can buy in a roll (got mine on amazon), made for firewalls, hoods, etc. Using my old tattered fiberglass insulation as a template, I cut the overall shape a little small so I could securely tape the edges down with foil tape, in addition to cutting slits where the original metal clips poke through and fold over. It took a little creative cutting and taping to get it to conform tightly to the underside of the seat hood, since it isn't molded like the original, but what I ended up with looks and works great.
    thanks for this, I've been wanting to replace the old crumbling insulation under my seat as well.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

My seats don't get hot, but the inside of the center console does.
    I am going to replace/upgrade the "hood" insulation. Thanks for the ideas.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251017225077

ive had god luck with this stuff, i lined the doghouse in my old chevy with it, still there after a couple seasons...easy to cut and work with its kindof a neoprene foam with foilish layer and peel adhesive...