Thread: The indicator for my doors being open won't turn off.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None yet

The indicator for my doors being open won't turn off.

The indicator for my doors being open won't turn off. Does anyone what could be the cause because it drains my battery and I can't figure out why it won't turn off even after I close all the doors.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: The indicator for my doors being open won't turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandude View Post
    The indicator for my doors being open won't turn off. Does anyone what could be the cause because it drains my battery and I can't figure out why it won't turn off even after I close all the doors.
    probably a bad or stuck door switch. I would remove the rubber covering and inspect each door switch .

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Also check- if the sliding door isn't closed properly the door ajar light will stay on. Speaking from my own experience my sliding door looked like it was closed but it wasn't on a few occasions and the battery would drain my morning time.

Good luck

JDM

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

The tail gate switch is probably the guilty one. The 3 switches for the door are Push-off, the tail gate one is a Push-on it is integral to the latch and if stuck open (on) you wouldn't know it. Find the wire coming from the bottom of the tail gate, un-plug, test with ohm meter.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None yet

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
    The tail gate switch is probably the guilty one. The 3 switches for the door are Push-off, the tail gate one is a Push-on it is integral to the latch and if stuck open (on) you wouldn't know it. Find the wire coming from the bottom of the tail gate, un-plug, test with ohm meter.
    It was the tail gate. Now when I'm driving the door indicator light keeps coming on and off. Any ideas on how to fix the rear hatch latch?

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Try injecting W40 with the provided straw. It would be best if you can remove the latch and inject toward the switch, latch/unlatch a few times and repeat until the switch is totally freed. If you have access to compressed air, blow any dirt coming out and all excess W40.
    Watch out: W40 drys in a gooey sticky film. I would rince everything with a cleaner/ degreaser, dry well, then just a drop of oil on the mechanical part of the latch only.
    Hope that helps.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Not sure if anyone is still on here but.. having the same
    issue and thinking it’s the tailgate since the courtesy lights for the other doors go it when I shut them. In there a way to wire the tailgate sensor wiring so that it senses permanently closed? Also, the door ajar warning light goes out when I turn on the back windshield wiper... weird.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by E van View Post
    Not sure if anyone is still on here but.. having the same
    issue and thinking it’s the tailgate since the courtesy lights for the other doors go it when I shut them. In there a way to wire the tailgate sensor wiring so that it senses permanently closed? Also, the door ajar warning light goes out when I turn on the back windshield wiper... weird.

Theres a way to pull the bulb out of the gauge cluster...

Mine went dead a while back... I have since fixed all the latches and handles, I am in no rush to fix it.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

If the light extinguishes when you turn on the rear wiper and you are certain it's the hatch switch that is keeping it on, I would be highly suspect of the tailgate electrical grounds. There are a couple ground locations on the tailgate and if I'm not mistaken, one near the left taillight that is tied to the tailgate harness. Also check the condition of the wires in the two flexible boots at the top of the tailgate on either side. Years of flexing may have caused wires to chafe or break.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    If the light extinguishes when you turn on the rear wiper and you are certain it's the hatch switch that is keeping it on, I would be highly suspect of the tailgate electrical grounds. There are a couple ground locations on the tailgate and if I'm not mistaken, one near the left taillight that is tied to the tailgate harness. Also check the condition of the wires in the two flexible boots at the top of the tailgate on either side. Years of flexing may have caused wires to chafe or break.

Thank you, that makes sense. Ill have to check that out.